Summary of Rugby League International games this week

A summary of this week's international games

Ireland 56 d Malta 12
Ukraine 64 d Czech Republic 16
Greece 72 d Japan 0
Russia 40 d Spain 6 (World Cup qualifier)
Wales 50 d Serbia 0 (World Cup qualifier)
Australia 26 d New Zealand 6
Vanuatu 24 d Solomon Islands 16
Greece 86 d Turkey 0
East Canada 10 South Wales Ironmen 22
Polish 9s winners Tomaszow Mazowiecki
Rhodes 8s Greek Australians

Vanuatu Championship
Port Vila Fire Ants 30 - 30 Santo Boars

Philippines National Rugby League
Round One – Saturday October 15, 2016
UB Toros v Manila Storm
Albay Vulcans v Northern Luzon Crusaders

Round Two – Sunday, October 16, 2016
Albay Vulcans v UB Toros
Manila Storms v Northern Luzon Crusade

13th round of CZRLAs 1st Division:

Chrudim Rabbitohs vs Slavia Hradec Králové 10:32
Lokomotiva Beroun vs Dragons Krupka 6:36
Mikulov Roosters vs Orli Havlíčkův Brod 14:68

Jamaica National Club Championship Semi Final Playoffs

Red Sharks already Minor Premiers (undefeated in 2016)

Jdf 40- Vauxhall Vultures 16

GCFoster 38 - Washington Bulls 6

Spanish Town Vikings 0 - 30 Liguanea Dragons

Semi Finals to be 

Red Sharks v Liguanea Dragons

JDF vs GC Foster

Ireland v Jamaica 16 - 68

From the week before:

Chile

MARIMAN DE NEGRETE 58 VS WARRIORS DE NACIMIENTO 04

Jamaica

NCC results. Duhaney Park RedSharks 26 def GC Foster College 12, Washington Bulls 20 def. JDF Warriors 12, Vauxhall Vultures 36 def. Spanish Town Vikings 4.

Results from Round 3 of the French League:

Avignon 20-16 Lezignan

Toulouse 14-32 Carcassonne

Limoux 36-20 Palau

Villeneuve 10-28 St Esteve

Albi 50-20 St Gaudens

Czech 12 - Ukraine 64

Ireland beat Malta 58-10

Samoa 18 - Fiji 20

Greek Centaurs 72-0 Japan Samurai

Hosted by the Budapest Rugby League, BRL, the 2016 tournament saw representatives from London, Amsterdam, Stockholm, Belgrade, Paris, Vitez and Budapest take part.

The West London Warriors have won the third annual 'Tournament of Capitals' Nines tournaments held in Budapest in Hungary.

Remember, "Rugby League is only played in Yorkshire, Lancashire and Sydney". We've been told enough times, so it must be true. B) 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

And Jamaica have just beat Ireland 68-16 in Bray. Right shelacking.

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

it was just a load of lads from over here coached by blokes from here, playing over here wearing a Jamaica kit.

it should have read Ireland v Jamaica*

*no actual Jamaican players or officials in the team.

And an Irish heritage team will prevent a true Russian team from qualifying for the WC

True. Unlucky for Russia that there isn't a large Russian diaspora or history of immigration in the north of England or Australia.

Be fair to Jamaica they have not got the resources to fly a team out from Jamaica.

They need to increase visibility that the nation is playing Rugby League. It's given Ireland a game.

The lads that played were proud to play for Jamaica.

But we need to tighten the rules on heritage players to at least having parents. But I can't comment to specifically on the Jamaican team as I don't know too much about the individual players.

They may been born there or moved here when young.

Which is different from an Australian with an Irish granny.

Be fair to Jamaica they have not got the resources to fly a team out from Jamaica.

They need to increase visibility that the nation is playing Rugby League. It's given Ireland a game.

But we need to tighten the rules on heritage players to at least having parents. But I can't comment to specifically on the Jamaican team as I don't know too much about the individual players.

Jamaica play against USA and Canada regularly and im sure they could get more fixtures over there. What was the benefit of this game and the one next week in Wakefield?

This Jamaican side was completely madeup of heritage players wasn't it??

it was just a load of lads from over here coached by blokes from here, playing over here wearing a Jamaica kit.

Heritage qualification needs to be tightened up, it should revert back to allowing only 1 generation of heritage to count rather than 2 (parent instead of grandparent) and there should be a cap on how many heritage players can be named on any country's roster for a tournament.  A handful of heritage players in a team comprised mainly of domestically-produced players is fine, a whole team of heritage players is frankly a joke and an embarrassment.

Heritage qualification needs to be tightened up, it should revert back to allowing only 1 generation of heritage to count rather than 2 (parent instead of grandparent) and there should be a cap on how many heritage players can be named on any country's roster for a tournament. A handful of heritage players in a team comprised mainly of domestically-produced players is fine, a whole team of heritage players is frankly a joke and an embarrassment.

im relatively relaxed on heritage, i will be cheering on Scotland this year as i have done in previous years but at least many of tge team have been committed to the cause and have been playing tests in Scotland.

This wasnt really the Jamaica team in anything other than the name and kit.

Jamaica play against USA and Canada regularly and im sure they could get more fixtures over there. What was the benefit of this game and the one next week in Wakefield?

Ireland need tough competition to play domestically.  Now in hindsight this was probably too tough for them.

They also needs to get accepted as a genuine Irish team and encourage players to play in the domestic league.

Jamaica on the other hand have a large number of registered players, but need to attract media profile and sponsors.

Also get funding from the Jamaican government, you need international games for that.

Playing the USA and Canada is never straight forward.  

They typically need funding as world cup qualifier or in the case of the Canada based games Eric Perez sorts out the funding.

As Eric can fill stadiums in Toronto.

If you read the background before the game it was said that the lack of Jamaican resident players was regrettable but they simply couldn't afford to attend. All of those who did play received no payment and actually had to contribute significantly towards their own costs. If that isn't commitment then I don't know what is.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

I'm not a fan of random blokes playing for countries through often tenuous connections but this does put a different slant on things. To get paid is one thing but to shell out yourself for the privilege doesn't indicate uncommitted players. Virtually every WI person i know would be proud to represent them at anything.

I agree to an extent, and this isn't a criticism of the players, it is of the state of our international game.

But we shouldn't overstate it either, paying for a trip over to Ireland to play Rugby League is something many amateurs do, plenty of people get involved in challenges etc. that they have to pay for. I'm not that grateful to them.

I watched that Ireland - Jamaica game.  What an utter mismatch.  The Jamaicans were bigger and stronger in the forwards, and basically mashed the Irish guys up in the tackle.  ireland were incapable of making any real metres.  Even with a domestic-based side, I was surprised how poor Ireland were.  Some of the "Jamaicans" came from the likes of Gloucs All Golds, (so barely even semi pro...) yet the Irish were light years behind them.  

It looked like quite a good wee event though - well staged by RLI.  A bit of a shame they felt tthe need to call the team 'Ireland' though, as it was clearly an A team at best.  I understand they probably want to maximise publicity/interest however.

Jamaica seemed to include hardly any amateur players from the UK (of whom there must be a lot kicking about) -could a 'Jamaica A' side be formed perhaps to take part in rep fixtures with the likes of Wales and Ireland's domestic based teams? (i appreciate that it does not develop the game in Jamaica, but I am simply looking at rep RL options in the UK which are somewhat limited).

Additionally, this "Jamaica" team could easily take part in matches against other european teams if funding was available.  They could be a nice team to watch.

England Knights, Cumbria, Jamaica and Wales?  Cheeky wee 4 team tournament?  

Or include them in the Superleague 9s if it is ever restarted?

I am just throwing ideas about.  

Rugby League: Alive and Handling

Archived