20/07/13 - Northern Rail Cup Final: Leigh Centurions v Sheffield Eagles KO 5pm (Premier Sports)

Who will win?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Leigh Centurions by 13 points or more
    • Leigh Centurions by 7-12 points
    • Leigh Centurions by 1-6 points
    • Sheffield Eagles by 1-6 points
    • Sheffield Eagles by 7-12 points
    • Sheffield Eagles by 13 points or more

Leigh hooker Sean Penkywicz is hoping for hometown glory when the Centurions play Sheffield Eagles in the climax of the 2013 Northern Rail Cup at The Shay, Halifax, on Saturday July 20 (5pm).

Click here to view the article

League Express is on sale every Monday, in shops (UK only), on print subscription (worldwide) and online for desktop, tablet and smartphone
Follow us on Twitter/X @leagueexpress and TikTok @leagueexpress
Like us on Facebook - www.facebook.com/rugbyleagueexpress

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes :) I'll be there for both finals plus a drink or two pre match, probably 3 pigeons - East Stand block C - supporting Cru because I like their fans and the mighty Leigh of course 

Edited by amh

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#NRCFinal Ref: C Leatherbarrow Vid Ref: I Smith Touch J: J Roberts Touch J: M Woodhead Reserve: W Turley Time K: G Kershaw M Com: C Hodgson

#NRBowlFinal Ref: J Cobb Vid Ref: I Smith Touch J: T Hudson Touch J: I Scott Reserve: D Sharpe Time K: L Fairbank M Com: P Gilmour

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

Northern Rail Cup success a must for Eagles prop

Sheffield prop Mitch Stringer says the Eagles will use their defeat to London Broncos in the Tetley’s Challenge Cup quarter-finals last weekend as motivation going into Saturday’s Northern Rail Cup final against Leigh Centurions.
The South Yorkshire outfit will make their first ever appearance in a Northern Rail Cup final at Halifax’s Shay Stadium on Saturday July 20 (5.00pm) and Stringer is determined to make up for last week’s defeat by securing victory against Leigh.
“We had a big game last week in the Tetley’s Challenge Cup against London and we were disappointed at how that went for us,” said Stringer.
“But we’ve put that game to bed now and refocused on the Northern Rail Cup and we’re determined to go out and show what we can really do because I think we let ourselves down a bit with our performance against the Broncos.
“As a player, you want to win every game you play in and for us to really bounce back from last week and win a trophy would be the best response possible.
“Leigh have been to the final a few times before and have a good record so it will be a tough game, there’s no question about that. They have had their issues this season and the players will be going out there determined to win and they have strong players across the park so we cannot afford to be off our game.”
Sheffield have never made it past the semi-final stage of the Northern Rail Cup in previous years but having triumphed in the Championship Grand Final last season, Stringer says the club targeted success in the Cup during pre-season.
“At the start of the year we identified the Northern Rail Cup as a real objective for us this season and we said that anything less than a place in the final wouldn’t be good enough,” he said. “Now we’ve met that, we all want to go on and ensure we win.
“To win the Northern Rail Cup for the first time would be massive for the club. The club has ambitions of playing in Super League and we need to be putting ourselves in finals and winning them on the way towards that aim.
“We’re all determined to go out there and give ourselves the best possible chance of doing that and hopefully we’ll get the result we want on Saturday and take a huge step towards hopefully completing a league and cup double this season.”

League Express is on sale every Monday, in shops (UK only), on print subscription (worldwide) and online for desktop, tablet and smartphone

Question 1) Anyone on here off to either of the Northern Rail finals on Saturday?

Question 2) Which team(s) are you supporting, or are you a neutral?

About 20 coaches filled and running from Leigh plus a few mini buses

Welsh boys (full of Leythers) and Leyth of course, plus Maggies buying a pint for everybody who recognises her in the pigeons

Disguise sorted ha ha

PREVIEW

Leigh Centurions v Sheffield Eagles (5.00pm – Premier Sports)

Leigh Centurions coach Paul Rowley will give fitness tests to Matt Gardner, Steve Maden, Simon Finnigan and Bob Beswick ahead of Leigh’s fifth Northern Rail Cup final.
The three-times winners prepared for Saturday’s final with a 34-22 win at Barrow Raiders, and Rowley insists his men are ready to cause an upset.
Rowley said: “We’re a club that takes every competition seriously and want to play in big games and big finals. You don’t get many opportunities to do that, and we want to be a part of every opportunity there is.
“We’re doing well. We like big games, we’re comfortable in big games and feel we know how to win them.
“This town and this club enjoys an occasion, and the atmosphere has been building since we reached the final. We’re happy to be here and we’re looking forward to getting out there.”
Sheffield’s 15-match winning streak came to an end with last week’s defeat against London Broncos, but coach Mark Aston believes his men can bounce back.
Aston said: “The guys are disappointed because we know we’re better than that (performance against London), but that will give us a bit more resolve and desire.
“We’ve never won the Northern Rail Cup. Leigh are a quality team with a great English coach, so we’ll have to be good and we’ll have to raise the bar – but we will do.”

About 20 coaches filled and running from Leigh plus a few mini buses

Welsh boys (full of Leythers) and Leyth of course, plus Maggies buying a pint for everybody who recognises her in the pigeons

Mine's a quart!

Hope the players put on a good show - taking a load of RL virgins as part of a stag weekend, so hopefully they'll all be impressed and want to see some more RL in the future!

Question 1) Anyone on here off to either of the Northern Rail finals on Saturday?

Question 2) Which team(s) are you supporting, or are you a neutral?

1)   Yes ...for both games

2) Crusaders and Eagles (although I will not be upset if Leigh win as one of our faithful will be supporting Leigh)

Can't wait to have no voice left and sore hands

It's a shame not as many neutrals as normal are going to finals day - not at Blackpool, lack of cash etc

Be great to see everyone who is though - say hello if you spot me - minus ears ;) but in the shirt in my avatar

Should be easy, there's only 84 seater double decker coach, 1x 70 seater, 2 x 74 seaters, 1 51 seater, 1 x 39 seater, 1 x 35 seater, 4 x 49 seater, 2 x 48 seaters, 1 x 37 seater, from LSV, plus other planes, trains and automobiles of us

post-29691-0-28137100-1374297660_thumb.jpg

Edited by amh