Championship Shield

hawk-eye

Just out of curiosity, I was wondering how the Eagles fans thought about being involved in the championship shield. After all you should really be in the top four or thats what I would have thought you being a full time outfit. Like I say not having a go,just curious. I would be very frustrated.

Just out of curiosity, I was wondering how the Eagles fans thought about being involved in the championship shield. After all you should really be in the top four or thats what I would have thought you being a full time outfit. Like I say not having a go,just curious. I would be very frustrated.

I'm personally all for it.

If we aim to attract newbies to the new stadium then going into a new era with a bit of silverware is probably a lot more than many soccer clubs have had - or rugby league clubs have had.

New supporters to the sport won't have a clue what the lifting of the Championship Shield means - but it certainly seems impressive.

It's a good start to attract bandwagon jumpers to the club at a location which will attract many people who the club need to turn-on to rugby league.

The Basketball club - Sharks - have just won silverware before they move onto the site in their indoor arena.

It is also a nice reward for the club which has undergone a virtually complete overhaul in playing staff.To win silverware in a matter of months is very,very commendable.

Contrast that with Mourinho last year,following on from winning the Premier Title.

Manchester United after winning the title under Ferguson - they have changed manager twice and not come close to the title.

Or,in our sport,Leeds rhinos winning the treble last year,to the Middle 8's this year.None of the 3 having to change stadia.

It will be a remarkable achievement.I hope they can do it.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

• 2 weeks later...

Sunday 14th August 3pm k.o. Sheffield Eagles host Whitehaven who defeated us by 2 points at Bawtry Road back in March.

Sunday 21st August 3pm k.o We host Swinton who we have beaten twice at home,but lost in the last encounter,away,in June.

2 Home wins would be nice.

As would some good off- field news.

Then a good Bank Holiday away win to finish the month in style. 

A home win today - but a poor attendance.

Another home game next Sunday v Swinton Lions with a 3pm k.o. at Bawtry Road.

Still awaiting some good off-field news.

A home win today - but a poor attendance.

Another home game next Sunday v Swinton Lions with a 3pm k.o. at Bawtry Road.

Still awaiting some good off-field news.

I know you (Sheffield) are not endowed with many fans, like many of us. But your City needs to back you or you are doomed.   ;)

I know you (Sheffield) are not endowed with many fans, like many of us. But your City needs to back you or you are doomed.   ;)

Nah.The club has overcome non-stop difficulties.Being nomadic is the major problem and supporters cannot go out and entice others to unsuitable places or it will have an adverse affect.

The indefatigable enthusiasm of a certain Mark Aston keeps me going.

'' we'll keep the red and gold flag flying high '' :shout:  

I have always wondered whether Sheffield, that gets the attendances that it does could possibly support a full time squad with all the additional costs it must involve?.

It seems that it could,but may not be able to do so in about 6 weeks time.

But if a week is a long time in politics then 6 weeks is for ever away.

It ain't all over till the fat lady sings.

We can defeat Oldham in that time. ;)  

You may beat but we may beat you,who knows?.Anyway, I do hope something gets sorted for you because like I've said in previous posts, we need more clubs not less.The state of clubs like Sheffield, York, Featherstone etc is a sad indictment of the sport as a hole.In my opinion the sport is generally shrinking. Some of the crowds in superleague ie- Salford are terrible.Good luck for the rest of the season apart from against us;-) .

• 3 weeks later...

It now seems confirmed that Sheffield Eagles will be playing in the semi-final,and travelling to Halifax for that game,after finishing the fixtures at Bradford on the 18th of this month.

An expansive and exciting performance today to defeat a depleted Workington side with the most memorable moment,for me,being the try saving tackle by Menzie in the second half,with the game already won,which kept the game,and sporting,opposition to nil.

Very poor attendance,but the most complete performance of the year,thus far.

September and October may turn out to be good months... 

Well done on your win today and sending us down :( with all your problems off the field your players put in a great performance it seems, what was the attendance today AC please.

Only 380 - which is the lowest of the season.

It seems Sheffield United were on the tv - as was the national soccer side with their new manager Allardyce having his first game in charge.

The hockey side Sheffield Steelers were playing - I can vouch for that as there was a lot of cars parked near the canal when I strolled home.

I believe the darkest hour comes before the dawn...

WOW, never realized it was that bad.Surely something can be done by someone. Theirs got to be someone out there.Hasn't there?.

I think the attendance will be slightly better on Sunday for the last game at Bawtry Road (hopefully).

Off field news is optimistic,with 4 investors interested.

It's actually quite an interesting time;with events both on and off the field.

Archived