Concussion Coming to a Head?

Auntie has reported that former Sale player, Cillian Willis, is reportedly engaged in an action against Sale over, "...alleged clinical negligence over career-ending concussion."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/37173849

Willis is the cousin of Brian O'Driscoll. Brian O'Driscoll's uncle is Dr Barry O'Driscoll, a GP and former RU international who has been involved in Irish rugby and other sports for a long time. He has been very critical of the RU authorities' action/lack of action concerning concussion and the associated protocols. He is based in Cheshire.... 

I suppose it is likely that when there is a resolution to this case then the detail  won't be made public. No doubt a lot of clubs, administrators etc await the outcome with interest.

There is no doubt that this case could have massive implications for both codes of rugby (and other contact sports).

I can't comment on the actual case as I don't know all the facts but unlike 'normal' cases of clinical negligence this would be complicated by the implicit acceptance of the risks when a player takes the field.

From a personal perspective I was concussed quite a few times in my playing career and I do worry a little what the long term effects are. (No jokes about that explaining a lot please).

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Its been shoved out the way in to the closset by the administrators of most Sports and now the Skeletons are ready to come out and potentially change the way Sports are played and possibly ruin Sports if the cases are successful and end up costing Billions of pounds. We used to ignore such things and laugh and joke about it. But times have changed and its now a serious matter. I remember playing against Elland once and took a knock to the head and have no memory at all of the game or how I ended up in hospital. I received a few KOs - some serious and others mild concussion. I do struggle to remember things at times. Could be from the head knocks or could be because I am not the brightest person around!

But we have cases of former players that are in a mess and need treatment. Who is paying for it? How much can be down to head knocks and how much help did Clubs and Sports provide. I feel its an area which could cause massive problems for all sports and not just Union or League. Even Football is under investigation and could face law suits. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/05/31/footballs-brain-injury-risk-no-lower-now-than-in-the-past-warn-m/

I can see a time when the wearing of head protectors becomes mandatory.

I know players don't like it. But if it was brought in for juniors they would grow up not to know any thing else.

Boxing and equestrian sports brought it in years ago.

I presume cycling too?

Like motor cyclists having to wear helmets and also the wearing of seat belts in cars sometimes people have to be protected from themselves

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

I can see a time when the wearing of head protectors becomes mandatory.

I know players don't like it. But if it was brought in for juniors they would grow up not to know any thing else.

Boxing and equestrian sports brought it in years ago.

I presume cycling too?

Like motor cyclists having to wear helmets and also the wearing of seat belts in cars sometimes people have to be protected from themselves

I'm not sure the evidence of head protectors is conclusive.  Amateur boxing stopped wearing head guards a few years ago?

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

I'm not sure the evidence of head protectors is conclusive.  Amateur boxing stopped wearing head guards a few years ago?

IIRC it was  found that head guards for boxers didn't offer the protection which had thought to be the case and perhaps they increased the risk of head injury.

IIRC it was  found that head guards for boxers didn't offer the protection which had thought to be the case and perhaps they increased the risk of head injury.

That's what I thought. Headguards offer little to no protection. It isn't the immediate impact of the collision that causes concussion but the shaking of the brain inside the skull. 

That's what I thought. Headguards offer little to no protection. It isn't the immediate impact of the collision that causes concussion but the shaking of the brain inside the skull. 

I believe there is a theory that they result in boxers taking more punches than they do without head guards.

If he wins his case, solicitors will be rubbing their hands with glee as to how much they can make out of this.

There are worrying implications for all football codes at professional and amateur levels which involve contact with the head at times.

Given the amount of money involved in Football, the first major name in that sport to take legal action could open the floodgates in a massive way.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I believe there is a theory that they result in boxers taking more punches than they do without head guards.

It's the same phenomenon that causes kids to climb higher and take more risks in a playground with a padded rubber floor.

A boxer will take the chance of a good hit on his opponent if it means taking a smaller one to his padded head. Without the guard he wouldn't risk it.

All this is well documented. I don't know what the answer is but all rugbies are in serious danger.

My son is an amateur boxer and he says that he would be more open to left and right hooks with a guard on as it impedes your periferal vision.He prefers to box without one as he says it keeps you more alert and you can see the punches coming.But I suppose the benefits and drawbacks would be different in either rugby code.

My son is an amateur boxer and he says that he would be more open to left and right hooks with a guard on as it impedes your periferal vision.He prefers to box without one as he says it keeps you more alert and you can see the punches coming.But I suppose the benefits and drawbacks would be different in either rugby code.

There is that as well but research shows my point is still valid.

The extreme is American football where players use the head to tackle thinking the helmet protects them.

Sadly sports doctors are coming to the conclusion you cannot protect the brain from damage wherever there is impact. The future doesn't look good.

And its not just the obvious sports -

http://www.outsideonline.com/2108551/cte-adventure-sports?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=tweet

Should this thread be moved to Any Other Sports, as it will actually hit pretty much all sports apart from darts?

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Personally I am of the view that to wear a skull cap in rugby league or Union is down to the player to make.There are risks in sport,the participant knows and is aware of this,if they are not they need to be made aware.I suppose this would be the case in all sports apart from them sports where they are compulsory ie-cycling etc.

I'm moving this to AOB/AOS following a request that it deserves a wider audience.  Although this was a union topic to start with, I expect people to play nicely.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

There could be implications for so many sports.  Not just boxing, the rugby, NFL etc.   

• 3 weeks later...

Watched a film called Concussion the other night , very interesting indeed ............... proved medical fact after several NFL players commited suicide ( you can look up their names on google ), the NFL, as well as having all their multi milliuon dollars available to fight the action also enroled the FBI to help them kick the action out of the courts etc etc etc, inevetable really ... so apart from being obvious what can be done ? It has to be said that head to head clashes in rugby of either code are nowhere near like it is in the NFL ( where it IS DELIBERATE ), so its just beware of whats going on around you, and of course over last few years the RL have made it mandatory that a player is removed from the field when there is the slightest doubt about a playes condition.

the Film "Concussion" featuring Will Smith and Alec Baldwin is a good watch for anybody interested in the subject. . . 

20447_346989162151_776477151_4748963_7475038_s.jpg

There could be implications for so many sports.  Not just boxing, the rugby, NFL etc.   

as said above watch the film "Concussion" . . .  the NFL have known about it for 30 years or so i recon, and they have no intention of doing anything about it, theres just TOO MUCH MONEY at risk for them to act, but i wont spoil the film for you

20447_346989162151_776477151_4748963_7475038_s.jpg

Archived