New Salary Cap rules for 2017

RS

In the Backchat interview Eric Perez let slip there would be new salary cap rules that would put the Championship clubs on a parity with SL to allow for competitive Middle 8 play offs he also inferred that Toronto would have no Cap issues as they were to be rule changes that would allow them to spend highly.

Are we risking the future of many clubs to allow a couple to prosper?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the Backchat interview Eric Perez let slip there would be new salary cap rules that would put the Championship clubs on a parity with SL to allow for competitive Middle 8 play offs he also inferred that Toronto would have no Cap issues as they were to be rule changes that would allow them to spend highly.

Do you have a link to the interview?

No

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

You could say the current cap has risked/caused stagnation and lowering standards to appease a few basket case clubs

I have long believed that 2 10 teams Super Leagues with cross league games is the only way to marry development, potential for growth and protection for the vulnerable. This seems to me to be a vital next step along that route. Toronto mean business, Toulouse mean business, let's allow them to pick up the ball and run with it.

Championship clubs can already spend to SL levels subject to various criteria hence Leighs spendathon this season which may or may not make them competitive in the 8s

With the changes to the salary cap rules, eventually big city teams that are well run --- like Toronto and probably Toulouse -- are going to run all over the tiny former pit village and mill town clubs that live off the smell of an oily rag. Leeds will survive and prosper, so will the likes of Catalans, Wigan, St Helens, Warrington and Hull FC, because of their wealthy backers. But as for the rest of the current Super League, their days are numbered.

After listening to Eric Perez I am convinced that in 10 years it will be the above mentioned clubs, plus possibly Montreal and Paris, which will be the powerhouses of the new Transatlantic Rugby League. And at that point younger NRL players will be clamouring to get a piece of the northern hemisphere action, because the audiences, and hence wages, will be higher in the northern hemisphere.

With the changes to the salary cap rules, eventually big city teams that are well run --- like Toronto and probably Toulouse -- are going to run all over the tiny former pit village and mill town clubs that live off the smell of an oily rag. Leeds will survive and prosper, so will the likes of Catalans, Wigan, St Helens, Warrington and Hull FC, because of their wealthy backers. But as for the rest of the current Super League, their days are numbered.

After listening to Eric Perez I am convinced that in 10 years it will be the above mentioned clubs, plus possibly Montreal and Paris, which will be the powerhouses of the new Transatlantic Rugby League. And at that point younger NRL players will be clamouring to get a piece of the northern hemisphere action, because the audiences, and hence wages, will be higher in the northern hemisphere.

You are funny.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Championship clubs can already spend to SL levels subject to various criteria hence Leighs spendathon this season which may or may not make them competitive in the 8s

I can't verify this but I have been told via an ex-player that it is costing £50k per month from Degsie's wallet to keep Leigh afloat, no wonder he was moaning about a pour turnout of fans against Bradford.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Championship clubs can already spend to SL levels subject to various criteria hence Leighs spendathon this season 

Is that a Fact? They can't spend it if they don't have the money and they mostly don't.

I can't verify this but I have been told via an ex-player that it is costing £50k per month from Degsie's wallet to keep Leigh afloat, no wonder he was moaning about a pour turnout of fans against Bradford.

Last season Beaumont invited the "business community" in Leigh along to the club to discuss sharing the burden of bankrolling Leigh, as he admitted it was difficult for him to go on doing it alone, and the response was very poor indeed, So as you intimate it's large burden on his shoulders.

If they pull off a shock promotion SKY then fund the wages. That according to Leigh fans is the plan, and it has to happen soon before decking goes out of fashion.

Is that a Fact? They can't spend it if they don't have the money and they mostly don't.

Last season Beaumont invited the "business community" in Leigh along to the club to discuss sharing the burden of bankrolling Leigh, as he admitted it was difficult for him to go on doing it alone, and the response was very poor indeed, So as you intimate it's large burden on his shoulders.

If they pull off a shock promotion SKY then fund the wages. That according to Leigh fans is the plan, and it has to happen soon before decking goes out of fashion.

If they don't get promoted will Beaumont have to reduce the amount he pumps into the club?

I have long believed that 2 10 teams Super Leagues with cross league games is the only way to marry development, potential for growth and protection for the vulnerable. 

You've long believed it but never explained it. Hudgell set out how SL could not manage 14 teams when SL was £68M in debt, and three clubs, London, Bradford and Wakefield were imploding. He explained that 10 clubs was even being considered to achieve stability.

I've counted down to 20th and nomadic Swinton on low crowds occupy that spot.

Above them are semi pro's like Fev, Batley, Fax & Dewsbury. Then Bulls and Leigh as above are struggling to stay Pro, and London are hardly superleague any more. So where do you get 20 Super league teams from?

Where do you get "development and growth" from? If you've "long believed it" then it can't be Toronto. Toulouse fair enough, but they will grow on private money not league structure.

So perhaps set out how your plan may work (in a civil way please ;) )  

Looks like you don't like being proven wrong!!

Leigh, via Degsy, have the money and are spending it which wax the OP question

Must be at least that much if they are spending £1.8m on Salary Cap

Interestingly Leigh have provided security via a Debenture to Degsy's business which is a strange arrangement

If they don't get promoted will Beaumont have to reduce the amount he pumps into the club?

I don't know that as we are talking his personal and business finances, but last year and this he was desperate to get his plan to work which was (as Kryten & Craiq set out) to put everything into getting into SL to get the SKY funding that pays "just about" full cap of £1,825,000 a year (as Mr. Sadler says).

The idea was that the deal on LSV is so good that Leigh could break even on relatively low crowds if they could get in, so he would not have to subsidise the club heavily once in. He was so desperate to make it that he openly told the RFL he would break the Cap, and IIRC the RFL let him spend more and as per the OP (others can too as long as it doesn't put the CC clubs at risk by it being a directors loan.)

The other aspect of this was the new structure, which makes it devilishly hard to displace a Superleague club. Once in even poorly performing bottom clubs are favourite to stay up like the useless Wakefield showed us. Mr Beaumont was hoping that whatever £hundreds of thousands he had to spent now will be well worth it if Leigh could just get in and then stay in for years.

Post the arguments with the RFL Adam Pearson intimated in the press that the new structure may not run beyond "another 18 months". Beaumont is committed to heavily funding Leigh this year but next year may be another matter depending entirely on what money he may have left to throw at Leigh and whether he feels the conditions are right to do that.....

Next year I assume Toulouse will be big spenders and they may push Leigh's nose out - after all I think the alleged sponsorship of the Maire and French Aerospace may be a little stronger than Leighs' local decking industry. 

Looks like you don't like being proven wrong!!

Leigh, via Degsy, have the money and are spending it which wax the OP question

I'm the only one on here who has used "Corrections welcome" regularly, and that remains the case.

As I see it Mr. Beaumont is of course spending up towards SL level but none of the others - and you did say Championship club(s), has the money to do that, and Mr. Beaumont as per a number of posts probably does not have the money to go on doing that for much longer. 

I don't know if Mr. Beaumont is currently spending to "SL Level" (your phrase) and I don't think you do either as you say in post #17 "If they are spending £1.8M on salary cap".

Anyone know if Leigh are spending full SL cap this season?

I'm the only one on here who has used "Corrections welcome" regularly, and that remains the case.

As I see it Mr. Beaumont is of course spending up towards SL level but none of the others - and you did say Championship club(s), has the money to do that, and Mr. Beaumont as per a number of posts probably does not have the money to go on doing that for much longer. 

I don't know if Mr. Beaumont is currently spending to "SL Level" (your phrase) and I don't think you do either as you say in post #17 "If they are spending £1.8M on salary cap".

Anyone know if Leigh are spending full SL cap this season?

Another misquote or deliberate misinterpretation

I didn't say Championship Clubs had the money to spend but that wouldn't suit your agenda would it

BTW Degsy has stated on more than one occasion that he is spending up to the SL SC but just like you and your views on the SRD nobody knows for certain. Mind you that doesn't stop you from insisting that your views are the one factual ones

That doesn't stop you from insisting that your views are the factual ones

Well that's "misrepresentation" too, so we are quits. There are many many facts and figures, and more expert considered opinions that appear in the RL Press, that surround these debates, so many of them can be looked up, and then they can be presented into the debates. This doesn't make them my "views", and I don't insist anyone accepts them.

Back to the OP and as you say CC club spending is limited by certain criteria so my view is clubs cannot overspend and risk their future on what I have read up so far. If you can set out those criteria in detail for us, you may be able to demonstrate that my view is indeed a fact??

And hopefully the OP doesn't need to worry any CC club will be overstretched trying to keep up. Now the integrity of the competition may be a problem.

Well that's "misrepresentation" too, so we are quits. There are many many facts and figures, and more expert considered opinions that appear in the RL Press, that surround these debates, so many of them can be looked up, and then they can be presented into the debates. This doesn't make them my "views", and I don't insist anyone accepts them.

Back to the OP and as you say CC club spending is limited by certain criteria so my view is clubs cannot overspend and risk their future on what I have read up so far. If you can set out those criteria in detail for us, you may be able to demonstrate that my view is indeed a fact??

And hopefully the OP doesn't need to worry any CC club will be overstretched trying to keep up. Now the integrity of the competition may be a problem.

So how are we "quits"?

what have I misrepresented?

Post the arguments with the RFL Adam Pearson intimated in the press that the new structure may not run beyond "another 18 months".

jeez. Is this the latest mis-quote that will be repeated in every thread until eventually it becomes 'Pearson hates the structure and wants it changed at the end of next year'?

You said "Championship clubs can already spend to SL levels subject to various criteria"

Could you set them out for us please?

Come on,Parksider.Get with the programme.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/34925697

At the behest of you know who..... http://www.eurosport.co.uk/rugby-league/leigh-set-to-move-for-rangi-chase-after-salary-cap-increase_sto5001789/story.shtml

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

Archived