A more Irish - Ireland in bid to grow the game.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a great move by the RLI. Whilst yes it will hurt the team a bit in the short term when they come up against other professional opposition, it is important that they give opportunities to players who came through the Irish system.

I have to admit the RLI really have started to impress me over the past couple of years with the body really starting to build an impressive international calendar for the Wolfhounds.

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

It's brave, but long term it will generate more benefits for the Irish game most likely in the form of:

- Ability to attract players to RLI competitions with the incentive of not only representing your country at an amateur level but to play against pros.

- Increase in standard of domestic competition both from the above and from players who get the chance to play for the Pro Wolfhounds coming back better players.

- Changes perceptions about League in Ireland, and hopefully leads to Irish players being signed by Pro clubs.

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

It's brave, but long term it will generate more benefits for the Irish game most likely in the form of:

- Ability to attract players to RLI competitions with the incentive of not only representing your country at an amateur level but to play against pros.

- Increase in standard of domestic competition both from the above and from players who get the chance to play for the Pro Wolfhounds coming back better players.

- Changes perceptions about League in Ireland, and hopefully leads to Irish players being signed by Pro clubs.

Its a bit like nuclear weapons for some of the nation's they need to agree to unilaterally stop using heritage players.

It was also bring a bit of much needed honesty when it comes to developing some countries and rewards success in others.

In an effort to help Rugby League grow in Ireland they have decide to include at least 8 domestic players  in the Ireland squad.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/rugby-league-ireland-unveils-new-selection-policy-35090551.html

This is the way forward. Short term pain long term gain

Thanks.  As Yakstorm said that is a great incentive for those players and a carrot to be dangled for any prospective players.  I doubt that they will play get chance to play against the big boys with that policy as I can't see a world cup qualification but there's still games against the pros of Scotland, Wales and France.

Three provincial leagues (Leinster, Munster and Ulster).

Roughly about 12-13 teams with 4-5 teams in each.

Thanks.  As Yakstorm said that is a great incentive for those players and a carrot to be dangled for any prospective players.  I doubt that they will play get chance to play against the big boys with that policy as I can't see a world cup qualification but there's still games against the pros of Scotland, Wales and France.

Tricky one this. If Ireland now have a significant domestic amateur game, then it's a wonderful idea to  have a national side that is chosen from these clubs and the Irish national side isn't used as a heritage side to enable it to make numbers up in the pro game.

However games against heritage sides could be tough as they contain professionals? The French side could be fully pro. The scots fully pro/semi pro

Is it time to actually allow amateurs to play amateurs, and leave the pro's to play the pro's. 

That's a brave decision.  What does the domestic scene consist of?  It will be very interesting to see how it turns out and if any other nations follow their lead.

It's the only decision...and about time too. No home players means (and has meant) no growth...ever.

The key factor not yet mentioned is interest...local players, means local interest (fans and media). Thirteen blokes from Aus/Yorkshire has (as expected) seen zero interest.

Will the team get a greater gubbing with home players?...likely...but losing by 70 points with local interest is a heck of a lot better than losing by 40 points with none.

It's the only decision...and about time too. No home players means (and has meant) no growth...ever.

The key factor not yet mentioned is interest...local players, means local interest (fans and media). Thirteen blokes from Aus/Yorkshire has (as expected) seen zero interest.

Will the team get a greater gubbing with home players?...likely...but losing by 70 points with local interest is a heck of a lot better than losing by 40 points with none.

Sam

If Ireland as an amateur RL country are doing well they don't need 70 point drubbings from Pro's.

They need to play internationals against like countries also fielding amateur sides.

I don't know how they would do this, the mighty Bob8 may know but if there are international sides in Germany, Roumania Italy etc then Ireland need those teams to come over and provide proper genuine international competition.

For me the push to make amateurs play pro's in the hope this somehow will accelerate the interest in RL leading to an Irish SL club in Ireland is wrong. Let the game develop at it's own pace, at it's own level, don't use it. 

Seems like a good balance for me. 8 indigenous players in a squad (I'm assuming c. 24 not match day 17) means that their team can still have the strongest players, thus heritage ones if necessary. But it will expose 8 players to high intensity training, give them something to really play for in Ireland, and if they are excellent in training, maybe a couple will make the match say squad. Exposure if they make the team, and testimonials from teammates even if they don't might result in UK contracts and thus further accentuate development and player path way

Sam

If Ireland as an amateur RL country are doing well they don't need 70 point drubbings from Pro's.

They need to play internationals against like countries also fielding amateur sides.

I don't know how they would do this, the mighty Bob8 may know but if there are international sides in Germany, Roumania Italy etc then Ireland need those teams to come over and provide proper genuine international competition.

For me the push to make amateurs play pro's in the hope this somehow will accelerate the interest in RL leading to an Irish SL club in Ireland is wrong. Let the game develop at it's own pace, at it's own level, don't use it.

It's 6 or 8 out of a squad of 24. They may not even make the 17 but will get invaluable experience being around the pro players

There's a few Amaatuer Irish players who made the step up after getting in and around the squad in the past - Wayne Kerr for example earned a PT contract

It's good news. They're getting a balance between "heritage" and "natural" Irish players which should be commended

It's a shame the RLIF don't introduce the rule to all the countries. I seem to remember there was a requirement in the past for domestic players in the squad - this would give a much better indication of a nations strength when it's not just a team filled with Aussies & English men (who probably are just playing until they get the call up from their "true" nation

It's 6 or 8 out of a squad of 24. They may not even make the 17 but will get invaluable experience being around the pro players

There's a few Amaatuer Irish players who made the step up after getting in and around the squad in the past - Wayne Kerr for example earned a PT contract

It's good news. They're getting a balance between "heritage" and "natural" Irish players which should be commended

It's a shame the RLIF don't introduce the rule to all the countries. I seem to remember there was a requirement in the past for domestic players in the squad - this would give a much better indication of a nations strength when it's not just a team filled with Aussies & English men (who probably are just playing until they get the call up from their "true" nation

Thanks for that.

Sam

That's why I think a 9s competition would work at the end of the season for these developing nations. Ireland and Wales could enter domestic based sides and maybe an English Lionhearts team.

This is a good move but the bigger problem is that pretty much every Rugby League club in Ireland apart from Athboy is just an offshoot of a Union club who use Rugby League to have a run around in the summer. As long as this is the case nobody will take the game seriously as a separate sport and it won't attract new players who aren't already members of the Union team. 20 years of development and Athboy and Belfast are the only teams who gets kids playing the game. League needs to distance itself from Union in Ireland if it is ever to grow. The move to Bray is a good start.

Agree with all this.  Definitely need a quota rule. I wouldn't base it off of playing club RL in the country though as countries like Fiji and Wales often get Union converts who sign with NRL or SL but who will never play club RL in their country but were born raised and is their respective countries.   I think Saints picked up two welsh lads this year from Union.

This is a good move but the bigger problem is that pretty much every Rugby League club in Ireland apart from Athboy is just an offshoot of a Union club who use Rugby League to have a run around in the summer. As long as this is the case nobody will take the game seriously as a separate sport and it won't attract new players who aren't already members of the Union team. 20 years of development and Athboy and Belfast are the only teams who gets kids playing the game. League needs to distance itself from Union in Ireland if it is ever to grow. The move to Bray is a good start.

I know the RLI have a bigger plan but they have not released it in any press release.  But it does involve addressing the problems you have mentioned.

It's a chicken and egg situation mate. Now there's a genuine potential pathway for domestic players to play the game internationally at the top level, it incentivises players now to take the game seriously instead of just as a run around in the union off season.

Next step is to improve the domestic teams setup and hopefully get to a stage where they can get a team in league 1

It's a chicken and egg situation mate. Now there's a genuine potential pathway for domestic players to play the game internationally at the top level, it incentivises players now to take the game seriously instead of just as a run around in the union off season.

Next step is to improve the domestic teams setup and hopefully get to a stage where they can get a team in league 1

I thin we should forget league 1 we have a habit in Rugby League of trying to put on the roof before we lay the foundations.

We need to spend a good  5-10 years developing amateur sport at domestic and international level to build a fan base.

once we fill stadiums in dublin or bray for internationals then we can start talking about semi-professional clubs.

I thin we should forget league 1 we have a habit in Rugby League of trying to put on the roof before we lay the foundations.

We need to spend a good 5-10 years developing amateur sport at domestic and international level to build a fan base.

once we fill stadiums in dublin or bray for internationals then we can start talking about semi-professional clubs.

Yours won't fill a stadium playing amateur RL!

We need to spend a good  5-10 years developing amateur sport at domestic and international level to build a fan base.

League 1 in its current state is hardly too much of a stretch for Ireland or even Scotland TBH. As long as the finances are in place I would support a club from anywhere in Europe entering League 1 at present.

Archived