RLWC 2021, coming to a venue near you

http://rlif.com/article/8179/england-to-host-rlwc---north-america-recommended-for-rlwc

""The Rugby League International Federation (RLIF) is delighted to announce that England has been awarded the rights to stage the 2021 Rugby League Men’s and Women’s World Cups.

Following an exhaustive process, which included strong competition from other nations, the non-conflicted Directors of the RLIF Board met on 18 October to review presentations from the two shortlisted bidders, England and the Moore Sports International (MSI) USA/Canada Bid.

Bids were assessed against seven criteria provided in the bid documentation.

England scored heavily in respect of its supporter base and UK government support, both in terms of the £25 million government support of the event and its legacy, as well as in areas such as visas, security, international development and promotion of the event.

The MSI USA/Canada Bid scored impressively in many areas, including but not limited to, the support of the RLIF strategy to extend the global reach of Rugby League as well as in marketing, commercial support and innovation. The Board, acknowledging the strength of the MSI USA/Canada bid, made the decision to recommend to Congress in November the award of the 2025 Rugby League World Cup together with, subject to further evaluation, an Inter-nations tournament to MSI USA/Canada to be played between the 2021 and 2025 World Cups.

Ultimately, England edged out the MSI USA/Canada Bid for the 2021 RLWC, primarily based on the current Rugby League participation numbers in North America.

This decision feels way too sudden. Steve Mascord blowing up on Twitter, says there was meant to be a decision in November.

It must be highlighted, that the RLIF Board of Directors recommend the USA/CAN host an Inter-Nations tournament between 2021-2025.

RLIF Chief Executive David Collier, commented: “The RLIF congratulates both England and MSI USA/Canada on outstanding bids.

With specific reference to the England Bid, which is built upon achieving a spectator attendance in excess of one million and the delivery of a £10 million capital legacy programme, this will be of massive benefit to our sport. England staged an outstanding World Cup in 2013 and have clearly outlined their vision for the 2021 World Cup as a World Class event eclipsing the attendances, reach and legacy of 2013. The bid details that the Rugby League World Cup will be the highlight of the international sporting calendar in England that year and RLIF looks forward to a great tournament.

The MSI USA/Canada Bid provided the RLIF with an unprecedented opportunity to take Rugby League’s pinnacle Event, the World Cup, to the commercially lucrative and passionate sports audience of North America. As outlined in the Bid presentation, significant opportunities with regards to Rugby League development at both the elite level and even more extensively at the junior levels of the game, gave MSI USA/Canada’s Bid extremely compelling qualities.The bid process was highly competitive and the Board was very impressed by the MSI USA/Canada bid which was of the highest quality. The RLIF sees a great future for the sport in North America and has recommended that discussions with MSI are expedited to bring professional Rugby League to North America as well as future international tournaments. Those discussions are being progressed with MSI USA/Canada and a report will be presented to Congress which will be held on 19 November this year.”

http://rlif.com/article/8179/england-to-host-rlwc---north-america-recommended-for-rlwc

This decision feels way too sudden. Steve Mascord blowing up on Twitter, says there was meant to be a decision in November.

It must be highlighted, that the RLIF Board of Directors recommend the USA/CAN host an Inter-Nations tournament between 2021-2025.

4 Nations between USA or Canada plus England. Australia & New Zealand would be a cracking start for International Rugby over there

This is fantastic news.

The 2013 World Cup was excellent and I expect this one to be just as, if not more, successful.

And related to a few other threads recently, I'll be buying tickets for as many matches as possible as soon as is possible.

Although the expansionist and romantic in me likes the idea of a competition being held in North America, to have it in the UK is the correct decision.

I think the best part about this announcement is that the people behind USA/Canada bid have a date and target to work towards (providing nothing changes, and lets be honest, its RL, its bound to!). 

A tournament between England, France, USA and Canada in that interim period between world cups would be a good idea. You'd imagine France V Canada in somewhere like Montreal could be an easy sell.

Great that we get to see another world cup in the UK also.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

The fact they say playing numbers was the key seems strange. Obviously UK is much higher, how much do they expect those numbers to change in the extra 4 years to recommend they get in then?

All that said it would be a huge positive to announce it soon fit USA in 2025. That would give them time to plan, link better with Toronto and USARL, plus we'd still be having a world cup there before union.

This is fantastic news.

The 2013 World Cup was excellent and I expect this one to be just as, if not more, successful.

And related to a few other threads recently, I'll be buying tickets for as many matches as possible as soon as is possible.

Although the expansionist and romantic in me likes the idea of a competition being held in North America, to have it in the UK is the correct decision.

As the years go on i would expect the RLWC to ger better.

The 2017 WRLC will be great, but the 2021 will be even better.

The cynic in me would have suggested the RU bods would have hijacked the US/Canada RL World Cup, by hosting their own WC in North America in 2023. Luckily, they aren't bidding, but as this article suggests, it's one they were hoping to host in the future. We have got to get in there and really help develop the game over there for the next 9 years, so that when the tournament comes around in 2025, out game is established and healthy. I've suggested before that England have warm up games in North America Canada next year, before our 2017 WC, so would love to see an international tournament in some form over there in this interim period

http://www.americasrugbynews.com/2016/09/07/comparing-rugby-world-cup-2023-bidders/

The fact they say playing numbers was the key seems strange. Obviously UK is much higher, how much do they expect those numbers to change in the extra 4 years to recommend they get in then?

All that said it would be a huge positive to announce it soon fit USA in 2025. That would give them time to plan, link better with Toronto and USARL, plus we'd still be having a world cup there before union.

Having one before union must be a priority; but maintaining the success of a world cup is just as important.

The "non-conflicted RLIF board members" does sound a bit fishy but I suppose they just couldn't turn down the £25m government funding. If 2021 delivers 1 million fans it will literally blow the minds of those who love international RL.

However, I believe other sports might have been braver and gone with the USA/CAN bid. If it is 2025 you can guarantee the IRB will award the 2027 RUWC to the USA. Saying that, if by 2025 Toronto are one of the strongest clubs in the northern hemisphere then it will deliver an unbelievable tournament. The USA has to be rubber stamped in November.

I will hold onto those exciting thoughts as I watch Cameron Smith run out at a half filled Craven Park tomorrow.

God, that's the most miserable spin possible.

We have some momentum in the US which I am certain the RLIF will build on. The confeds tournament could well work superbly. Just to have a North American bid on the table at all is a huge step forward for our game.

However, I believe other sports might have been braver and gone with the USA/CAN bid. If it is 2025 you can guarantee the IRB will award the 2027 RUWC to the USA. Saying that, if by 2025 Toronto are one of the strongest clubs in the northern hemisphere then it will deliver an unbelievable tournament. The USA has to be rubber stamped in November.

in union,japan where favourites to get the last world cup but the IRB bottled it and gave them the next one instead....

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

We are who we are. It is fantastic that we have had a credible bid and that there is such interest in North America. One of the details I liked about this is that it was a joint bid - the Canadian and US backers are separate (and separately wealthy) so getting them both working together is an epic piece of brokering by the RLIF.

I read that 80% of the games will be in Yorks or Lancashire. If there's 31 games, that's around 24 which leaves 6 or 7 elsewhere.

Enough?

I think Wembley, Olympic Park, Newcastle, Liverpool and Coventry were all listed. There is a document somewhere from the original bid. Does someone remember where the link is?

Archived