Warrington Wolves v Hull FC

ckn

12 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Warrington
    • Hull FC
    • Draw

I think the try demonstrated that Briscoe has great awareness and a great step, Riley was just a fraction of a second too late and Briscoe took advantage. That said stats do not show the whole story, how many one on ones has Riley missed when abandoned by the inside defence, or when chasing across the whole length of the pitch to try and make the tackle. This has happened to him and his effort in tracking back against Pat Richards in the Wigan game to keep him out wide in my opinion won us that game.

DaveT I know your not one to criticise too often but as you said, you've not been to too many games lately and I have and whilst Riley has made mistakes plenty of other players have too and I still dispute that it's becoming more regular. Statistics on their own don't tell the whole story otherwise Phil Clarke would be the font of all knowledge RL related! Riley had a wobbly patch earlier in the season but I'd have him in the team every week. I think he will continue to improve just as the whole team will!

Riley can't tackle (very well) him and mathers have argued on many occasions, often going missing on his wing.

His attempted tackle on briscoe was lazy, look were his arm was, i think he was actually going for the interception.

He isn't even a great finisher, just been on the end of good moves. How many times has he dropped chances over the season.

DaveT may not have been to many matches, but i have, and riley isn't a "Good" winger, he is "average" (like all english wingers)

Also, to add to the arguement, he wont even be in the first team next year.

Hodgson, King, Atkins, Brdige, Hicks.......... Riley as the spare player.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Riley can't tackle (very well) him and mathers have argued on many occasions, often going missing on his wing.

His attempted tackle on briscoe was lazy, look were his arm was, i think he was actually going for the interception.

He isn't even a great finisher, just been on the end of good moves. How many times has he dropped chances over the season.

DaveT may not have been to many matches, but i have, and riley isn't a "Good" winger, he is "average" (like all english wingers)

Also, to add to the arguement, he wont even be in the first team next year.

Hodgson, King, Atkins, Brdige, Hicks.......... Riley as the spare player.

Riley isn't a poor tackler at all. Sometimes his positioning means that he isn't in the best place to make that tackle but poor he isn't. His positioning will improve with experience and coaching, he is at the start of his career and will definately improve.

The tackle (or attempt) in question is an example of that inexperience in positioning.

If he's not a good finisher then he'll do for me. The number of tries scored shows he is doing his job in that department. All of the backs have dropped chances this year but Riley has taken the vast majority of his.

He may be average as you say but he has the right attitude and is showing plenty of improvement and only time will tell whether he is in or out of the team next year bu I have a feeling that he will get his chances and hopefully he will take them. If he isn't then whoever is will have to be taking their chances or they will find themselves on the sidelines and that is the beauty of (at last) having a strong squad.

It will be interesting to compare Riley at the end of his career with Hicks now to see how good average actually is!

I think the try demonstrated that Briscoe has great awareness and a great step, Riley was just a fraction of a second too late and Briscoe took advantage. That said stats do not show the whole story, how many one on ones has Riley missed when abandoned by the inside defence, or when chasing across the whole length of the pitch to try and make the tackle. This has happened to him and his effort in tracking back against Pat Richards in the Wigan game to keep him out wide in my opinion won us that game.

DaveT I know your not one to criticise too often but as you said, you've not been to too many games lately and I have and whilst Riley has made mistakes plenty of other players have too and I still dispute that it's becoming more regular. Statistics on their own don't tell the whole story otherwise Phil Clarke would be the font of all knowledge RL related! Riley had a wobbly patch earlier in the season but I'd have him in the team every week. I think he will continue to improve just as the whole team will!

You won't get me disagreeing with your judgement on Briscoe. I would love to see him at Warrington. Your missed tackles point is a valid one, but the fact is that he is still missing those tackles. There have ben a fair few instances where he has been caught out of position and simply stuck his hand up as the opposition go over him. Also, fair comment on the chase back for Richards, it was an excellent effort. Riley has improved out of sight this year, and is a valuable player, but some of the defensive work IMHO has been poor recently, and is starting to cost us a fair few points. My posts are simply about this area, not his all round play.

In terms of not going to games lately, I have been to a fair few this year, and luckily we have been on Sky a lot. I have seen 19 of our games this year.

I also acknowledge that stats don't tell the whole story, but his tackle completion ratio is appalling. It sits at 80%, which is worse than most of his rivals, I only found Peter Fox to be lower than him, and he missed a shocking 37 tackles.

Edited by Dave T

So I "clearly do not understand the salary cap" and now I am "clueless." I may as well give up on my 35 years as a wires fan then,and go and watch basketball or something. There's no point continuing to watch a sport I so obviously(in your opinion)know so little about!!!!!!!!!
You were wrong on the salary cap. You thought the 50% rule was still in, and it isn't, so not sure why you would bring that up again. I said if you believed that Riley did nothing wrong then you are 'clueless'. Fair enough if you disagreed about the severity of what he did, but he had a perfect chance to put Briscoe on his ###### and stop the move, and he didn't.

You admit that what Briscoe did was impressive,after saying he should have been put on his backside,so I rather think you contradict yourself there a little!
Not sure of your logic here. I said Briscoe's work with the ball ie. squeezing it into the corner of the field under extreme pressure, was very good.

To take the ball in that situation at speed and score would have been impressive,so to take the ball more or less standing still and still score is even more impressive,I think Tom Briscoe deserves some credit for his skill rather than people saying he only scored because riley pooped up,which is what you are suggesting. If you think there was no skill on show from Briscoe there,then it is not really worth continuing the debate.
Again, not sure why you are saying I am claiming there was no skill on show, it seems it is you contradicting yourself, as a couple of lines above you are saying that I compliment him!

My issue was that this move could have been stopped as Briscoe was catching the ball. Riley decided to come up fast. He didn;t complete the tackle. Once Briscoe was given a sniff, he took it brilliantly. The way he got the ball down in the corner was class.

Read back through the thread, you will see that I have given Briscoe credit all through it.

On the Riley issue, whether he's good enough or not...... it's down to opinions.

I like the lad, just makes too many mistakes (MHO)

Games Played 26

Tries scored 25

Assists 5

Errors 20

Miss tackles 26

He will not been 1st or 2nd choice winger on the team sheet next year.

and he will have to improve errors and miss tackles to dislodge hicks or king.

On the Riley issue, whether he's good enough or not...... it's down to opinions.

Games Played 26

Tries scored 25

Assists 5

Errors 20

Miss tackles 26

Opinions are what make the worldgo round and the discussion about this is great, I'll watch him from a different perspective next time that's for sure! Wow an actual discussion about a player and technique this definitely wouldn't happen on rlfans!

Opinions are what make the worldgo round and the discussion about this is great, I'll watch him from a different perspective next time that's for sure! Wow an actual discussion about a player and technique this definitely wouldn't happen on rlfans!

LOL.

Lets hope its the positives you see on saturday and not the negatives.

One thing, Riley is the future, he will learn from Hodgson (remember riley is a FB) and he's a Warrington lad.

Enjoy Wembley. sorry and welcome to the board

Now the Wire

If any of you feuding Wire lot would like a Tom Briscoe T-shirt, they're available from the on line Hull FC shop.... :P:D

http://www.hullfc.com/hullfcshop/product.php?id_product=747

If you're very lucky, you may get a Peter Fox one from our East Hull friend's shop...but I doubt it. :rolleyes:

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

Games Played 26

Tries scored 25

Assists 5

Errors 20

Miss tackles 26

Pat Richards is a fine winger, and often talked about as some sort of RL God on this forum.

Appearances 26

Tackles 75 (against Riley's 106)

Missed tackles 15

Errors 24

Much difference? No - so kindly pull your head out of your Aussie-loving *rse.

Now let's compare with some of the players who will be picked ahead of Riley this autumn.

Peter Fox

Tries 12

Missed Tackled 37

Errors 30

Try Assists 0 (Riley 5)

Ryan Hall

Tries 23

Tackles 100

Missed tackles 20

Errors 39

Adie Gardner

Tries 14

Tackles 63

Missed tackles 9

Errors 20

Tom Briscoe

Tries 13

Tackles 93

Missed tackles 14

Errors 15

I would suggest that taking those figures as a (very rough) guide, Riley compares well with any British winger in the league - Tom Briscoe's stats are good, in two fewer games than Riley. Riley, however, gets over the whitewash the most, despite having played outside Atkins for less than a full season.

So, please, STFU and get behind a young Warrington-born, Warrington-produced player fighting his guts out for his hometown club.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

If any of you feuding Wire lot would like a Tom Briscoe T-shirt, they're available from the on line Hull FC shop.... :P:D

http://www.hullfc.com/hullfcshop/product.php?id_product=747

If you're very lucky, you may get a Peter Fox one from our East Hull friend's shop...but I doubt it. :rolleyes:

I would not know what to do with a Tom Briscoe T shirt,I am "clueless." :rolleyes::D Maybe you could give me a hint? :happy:

2009 Warrington 25 Hudderfield 16

2010 Warrington 30 Leeds 6

2011 League Leaders Shield Winners

2012 Warrington 35 Leeds 18

Challenge cups and league leaders shields everywhere! We need more silver polish!

Pat Richards is a fine winger, and often talked about as some sort of RL God on this forum.

Appearances 26

Tackles 75 (against Riley's 106)

Missed tackles 15

Errors 24

Much difference? No - so kindly pull your head out of your Aussie-loving *rse.

Now let's compare with some of the players who will be picked ahead of Riley this autumn.

Peter Fox

Tries 12

Missed Tackled 37

Errors 30

Try Assists 0 (Riley 5)

Ryan Hall

Tries 23

Tackles 100

Missed tackles 20

Errors 39

Adie Gardner

Tries 14

Tackles 63

Missed tackles 9

Errors 20

Tom Briscoe

Tries 13

Tackles 93

Missed tackles 14

Errors 15

I would suggest that taking those figures as a (very rough) guide, Riley compares well with any British winger in the league - Tom Briscoe's stats are good, in two fewer games than Riley. Riley, however, gets over the whitewash the most, despite having played outside Atkins for less than a full season.

So, please, STFU and get behind a young Warrington-born, Warrington-produced player fighting his guts out for his hometown club.

Class, JB returns to the forum after many months, without a comment, Wires get to Wembley and he is on the band wagon......... and asking me to STFU and am an Aussie Lover.

Well JB, read all my threads and you'll find i disagree with the number of overseas or even resident type players.........so a polite up yours mate.

I have told you i like Riley, but he makes tooooooo many mistakes / errors.... end of.

and for the record i don't give a flying f about any other wingers in the league i'm concerned about riley.

(and so should riley as he will not get a first team spot next year)

so rather than a wire v wire rant over and out for me.