Final curtain

exiledyed

So the second team has now been scrapped and we have a squad of 20 players for the coming season which will be supplemented by Huddersfield Giants fringe players who will be payed by Huddersfield themselves meaning we could be paying weekly wages to possibly only 10 -14 players . Again their will be zero spent on ground improvements and spectator comfort ,and  nothing spent on marketing , and crowds will start off reasonable and dwindle as the season goes on and we are languishing in the middle of the table at best . 

Our chairman /chief executive will be still receiving his payments from the R.L  as well as taking his wages from L.S.V , thus enabling him to recoup any loans he has in O.R.L.F.C before the inevitable demise of the club in the next few months .       Is it possible that in the near future when the current regime has departed that a pheonix will rise from the ashes ?

Be patient everyone I can see a new horizon dawning .And I feel I can post this and not get the usual grief from the loyal few as even they have given up the ghost , judging by the lack of interest on this forum .

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree exiled, even CH's biggest supporters are now, finally seeing they've been taken for a ride.

No sponsors, no squad cohesion, poor discipline, no communication, no ground improvements. It was badly managed when CH cared about it. Now he has a new love, it's not managed at all.

I dont think crowds will even start off well. Two games against newly formed Coventry at the worst professional sports venue in the world, with no draught beer and miserable staff/volunteers.

Really annoyed at this announcement, and confirms what I feared last season. I didn't go at all last year, apart from the GF, after many years of supporting the club in a professional capacity on and off field. The reason:- my enthusiasm for club and sport had hit rock bottom. Clubs in the third and second tiers are struggling, but what does not make sense is the tie in with the Giants at the expense of running a second team. It took a lot of effort to get the club to run a second team, and we have seen it bear fruit time and time again, and with the right people in place, it would of carried on this trait. At the present time, there are some really talented 16/17 years olds that have been released by pro clubs due to the players rejecting the education side of the scholarships which is complusory, favouring the more traditional A level routes. These are the players should be enticing into the club, not some Giants star who is making a comeback after suspension or injury, and has no connection with the club. Just because SL clubs cannot afford a reserve team, they have to leach onto C and C1 clubs.

Oldham always stood a chance because of the talent the local clubs produce, but it needed a pathway into the towns professional side, Houghy, Ashy and Rats provided that route, and now it's disappeared, I fear the worse.

Do I want to pay £13 to watch at best A team rugby, I find it strange that the team are playing in green, my wife has tried to buy shirts but nothing. At least at the container you could go to a "shop".

All I can say my Great Uncle my grandad and uncle all will be turning in their graves.

On a different note I have nothing from the heritage trust to say my great uncle is part of the hall of fame

The whole thing is laughable even fitton hill bull dogs are better run

Sad day sad times,

Your'e correct Clifford , it is very sad , but their is still a fanbase that will rebuild the club as long as the RL allow it . It is a shame because I believe that Mr Hamilton has always had the clubs best interest at heart until recently ., but he has now realized that their is no future for the club under his stewardship  .

Really annoyed at this announcement, and confirms what I feared last season. I didn't go at all last year, apart from the GF, after many years of supporting the club in a professional capacity on and off field. The reason:- my enthusiasm for club and sport had hit rock bottom. Clubs in the third and second tiers are struggling, but what does not make sense is the tie in with the Giants at the expense of running a second team. It took a lot of effort to get the club to run a second team, and we have seen it bear fruit time and time again, and with the right people in place, it would of carried on this trait. At the present time, there are some really talented 16/17 years olds that have been released by pro clubs due to the players rejecting the education side of the scholarships which is complusory, favouring the more traditional A level routes. These are the players should be enticing into the club, not some Giants star who is making a comeback after suspension or injury, and has no connection with the club. Just because SL clubs cannot afford a reserve team, they have to leach onto C and C1 clubs.

Oldham always stood a chance because of the talent the local clubs produce, but it needed a pathway into the towns professional side, Houghy, Ashy and Rats provided that route, and now it's disappeared, I fear the worse.

Agree with most of your comments here but not about Rats, he did nothing, all the work and good will was created by Phil Costin in his three seasons in charge, and what did the club do let him go, just so Naylor could find a position for Rats in his testimonial year and where his he now, same as the team gone.

What a disgrace,

I honestly thought I would never say this but I will not pay to watch an Oldham team made up by Huddersfield wannabes, no way can a team survive with a squad of 20 and hope to succeed .

Its an absolute joke and I have got to agree with other posters the sooner this club folds the better and lets hope for a fresh start

Good to see our two duel reg players playing tonight

That makes me bloody angry.

Seeing 2 Giants players who played in our preseason friendlies in front of Oldham players going straight into their first team last night is disgusting.

It's now 100% clear why they were given game time above our lads. This was to benefit the Giants preparation for SL at the expense of our preparations.

This decision doesn't have the clubs best interests at heart and Hamilton should hang his head in shame at making this decision.

This man is misrepresenting the professional game in our town and this needs to be stopped.

Tosh, I have said before, no one who knows anything about business is going to declare their detailed plans ahead of time, for many reasons.

In terms of general models...The future of Rugby League, at all levels, lies in (at least) partial supporter ownership, broad membership structures, community partnerships, aggressive marketing (with a key element being low cost/high yield digital marketing - social networks), more community engagement and reducing cost base (ground sharing in our case) combined with more diverse sponsorship offer. 

From a rugby viewpoint, dual reg has a part to play but not necessarily wholesale deals with particular SL clubs, which let us have players one game at a time, or, make us field players we don't want on an ad hoc basis, to tune them up. More focus on individual player deals with 3 month commitments to play for and train with Oldham and only Oldham during the agreement, these could be rolling (extendable) deals. The RFL has a vital role to play here, they need to get a grip of this issue and quickly. We also need a squad progression structure and mutually beneficial relationships with Rugby Oldham, the town's amateur clubs and better tie-ins with schools and colleges.

I would hope any mew model would include these elements.

Clifford, you're dead right, a commercial manager is necessary to successfully run a club. However, a decent commercial manager coming into a club in the position ours is in, would want an income guarantee, while there could be a commission element, the risk is so significant that I would suggest that the package would need to be at least £50k a year. Given that we are starting from a zero base it could take 6 months to realise any significant financial benefit in the role. So you are faced with the possibility of having to pay someone around £25k over that six month period (plus on costs, phone, iPad, laptop and expenses - 35k) before their impact is felt. Do you think THIS club has, or can generate, an extra £35k? The other option is a voluntary commercial manager. Any really committed fan have the necessary skills AND time to do it? I doubt it.

Long term player loan deals is what a championship club needs not two games here and there.

Rochdale Hornets are moving forward and it pains me to say it, fan owner club is the way forward With paid staff and trantransparency. And a decent ground.

Mid table I feel is the best we can hope for.

The news that Manchester Rangers are playing at the regional stadium is proof the grounds are there 6000 capacity stadium for an amateur team.

We've got whitebank..........

The Regional Arena cost £3.5 million to build fourteen years ago. It's bigger in terms of square footage and capacity than we would need. But it doesn't have some facilities that we would need. So it's a pretty decent guess to say that in 2001 terms the stadium we would need would cost about the same. So even allowing for inflation and safety regulation changes etc, a similar, smaller stadium but with hospitality facilities would probably cost around £4.5 - 5 million today.

Latics one stand - £6.5 million is it now? Not sure, but I think it's around that.

before we got strung up with whitebank i suggested we move to the regional arena..

but i tell you what,if manchester rangers ever be allowed into league one i bet they'll move over to the fantastic,7,000 capacity "mini etihad" over the road

05-mcfc-proposed-Mini-stadium-at-academy

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

Archived