The Photography Thread

A first attempt at motorsport yesterday. A good opportunity to experiment with settings and what worked and what didn't, I learned loads having the entire day to wonder around the course, try different vantages points and enjoy mixing my love of bikes & photography!

9331247447_7b33983492_z.jpg

Cock o'the North by 77gazza, on Flickr

9334622716_6c2d76a274_z.jpg

9331569377_e96b5969d3_z.jpg

9331723235_af1debb353_z.jpg

Good first effort, in the first and last the space is on the wrong sidde of the bike, they are driving out of frame.

The third has great timing, but I'd crop it tighter removing the road at the bottom, its a bit unbalanced with the tight crop at the top and all that space at the bottom.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

the wrong sidde of the bike, they are driving out of frame.

Don't listen to him!  Don't listen to him!

(Okay, do.  A bit.  But not too much.)

For mine, the last one works best because the sweep and texture of the road and the white of the eyes give an indication of the speed and determination going on.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Cheers for the feedback both.

Shot 1 - agree entirely with the framing comments Padge.

Shot 2 - the chairs are a bit more difficult to frame with being wider, but I'm fairly happy with how well this works from this angle.

Shot 3 - this is the only one that I have actually cropped, although not from the top as I only just got the rider in frame. He was the only one that was getting that sort of height over the jump, so I wsa struggling to capture it. I see what you mean with the road at the bottom Padge, however I felt that it needed a bit of road to land on so to speak. A better capture at the original point would have helped however, I see what you are getting at and this one in particular is one of the lessons to learn and work on. It really needed to be shot in portrait, but I was using my monopod and hadn't thought to take my ball head off my tripod to enable this. Also a lesson learned.

Shot 4 - I see what you mean again Padge, however this to me is a slightly different one to the first, as much more over to the left of the shot would have meant more of a messy and distracting background or a squarer crop which I'm not sure would have worked. Again, portrait may have worked better due to the limited amount of scope for manouvre at that particular vantage point, again, lessons learned.

I took about 400 shots in all, which I've whittled down to just under 200 that are reasonably sharp. A few more of the better ones are on my flickr account. I'm going to the Manx GP/Classic TT at the end of August, so this was all good experience for then, where I hope to get plenty of good shots and technique practise, utilising what I learned on Saturday. :D

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

couldn't resist getting a few snaps of this beautiful lake.

P1040855.JPG

Edited by my missus

Through the fish-eyed lens of tear stained eyes
I can barely define the shape of this moment in time(roger waters)

9432081886_8fcfd552b7_c.jpg

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

9430385634_52e076524e_b.jpg

DSC02771 by Bleep1673, on Flickr

9430382858_f1d8d80556_b.jpg

DSC02799 by Bleep1673, on Flickr

9427613207_ba296a02b3_b.jpg

DSC02792 by Bleep1673, on Flickr

9430378900_6bf61e66cb_b.jpg

DSC02791 by Bleep1673, on Flickr

Opinions please?

I like the composition of them, no 4 is the best imo. They don't seem quite as sharp as they could be either, and the colours seem a little flat. Perhaps a little editing tweak may resolve the latter issue.

Please view my photos.

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

I have an issue with one of my lens. An error message comes up that tells me to clean the lens contacts. I assume the contacts are the brass things on the rim. I have cleaned then but the message still appears. I know it isn't the camera as the message appears on both cameras. It is a zoom lens and the problem seems to occur at close to the max.

Any suggestions?

The lens isn't that expensive and I m also contemplating replacing it when funds allow.

My very first long exposure, When i say long i mean all of 2 seconds, was during good light, shot at f/32 and only had an ND4 and a CPL to help me out, ISO 100.

dr1.jpg

Nice. You must have steady hands. ;):lol: 

Please view my photos.

Book now via airbnb

One from the weekend, Vulcan Bomber open day at Southend Airport, Lots of Sun but had my anorak :-) 

1150544_10151925977654305_1695470293_o.j

Blimey! That's a good shot! :) 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thanks, HDR'd to within an inch of its life so totally disqualifying myself from any of the TRL comps but pleased with it

There's a time and a place for post-processing - nothing wrong with it if it gives a good effect.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

My very first long exposure, When i say long i mean all of 2 seconds, was during good light, shot at f/32 and only had an ND4 and a CPL to help me out, ISO 100.

dr1.jpg

Have you lifted the actual Durdle Door, there seems to be a slight light rim around it particularly around the sky (I'm on a poor display so it could be that), 

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Other than an increase to the shadows on the rock itself and a general levels adjust nothing else, what did you mean "lifted"

Brightened is what I mean, not lifted as in nicked.

When you brighten something selectively you can some time get a bleeding into the area around depending on your feathering etc.

You seem to have a brightness fringe that has bled into the sky.

Brightened is what I mean, not lifted as in nicked.

When you brighten something selectively you can some time get a bleeding into the area around depending on your feathering etc.

You seem to have a brightness fringe that has bled into the sky.

Now you say it, now I see it. Why is this? Is it a software fault/issue/feature and is it common to all/most packages? Edited by Larry the Leit

The Unicorn is not a Goose,

Now you say it, now I see it. Why is this? Is it a software fault/issue/feature and is it common to all/most packages?

Its down to the skill of the processing, if you simply select the area to lighten you will finish up with missed bits, and over lapping bits. In that case you get bits that shouldn't be brightened lifted and bits that should be lightened missed. To overcome this you can feather the edge so at the edge of the selected area the adjustment fades. This facility is common to almost allow editing tools.

The problem with that is that it can create halos if the amount of change is quite strong.

Using layers and editing individual elements on each layer can help, you then have to select the right blending mode.

Another way to overcome the halo effect is to use dodge and burn to  the edges (depending on whether you need to darken or lighten the edge) to balance up the lightened/darkend part of the image.

It appears to me that the Durdledoor picture had the rock face selected and then feathered, brightness was applied, levels may have been better and adjusting the mid-tones to maintain the better contrast and then finally the edge where necessary should have had a slight dodge applied to reduce the exposure.

God that all sounds geeky. :(

Its down to the skill of the processing, if you simply select the area to lighten you will finish up with missed bits, and over lapping bits. In that case you get bits that shouldn't be brightened lifted and bits that should be lightened missed. To overcome this you can feather the edge so at the edge of the selected area the adjustment fades. This facility is common to almost allow editing tools.

The problem with that is that it can create halos if the amount of change is quite strong.

Using layers and editing individual elements on each layer can help, you then have to select the right blending mode.

Another way to overcome the halo effect is to use dodge and burn to the edges (depending on whether you need to darken or lighten the edge) to balance up the lightened/darkend part of the image.

It appears to me that the Durdledoor picture had the rock face selected and then feathered, brightness was applied, levels may have been better and adjusting the mid-tones to maintain the better contrast and then finally the edge where necessary should have had a slight dodge applied to reduce the exposure.

God that all sounds geeky. :(

I see. Thanks.

The Unicorn is not a Goose,

We had a social documentary photographer cover the Denmark vs Norway game, as our normal sports photographer was not able to make it.  It is a very interesting set of photos, that I urge you to check out

https://www.facebook.com/DanmarkRugbyLeague

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014