A bit of dog and fight

Dave Naylor

I thought it was a very strange game today. It was almost as if someone took off the whole team and substituted it with another one. From the kick off we defended well and looked lively with ball in hand and at 12 nil up it looked like we were onto an easy win. Then a huge blunder as two Oldham players appeared to leave a high ball to each other and the result was Sheffield fielded it and scored their first try. It proved to be big game changer as in no time at all we were behind 12 - 14. Soon after Lepori was sent off and no one seems to know why yet but what had seemed to be a good game for us turned around and we found ourselves on the wrong end of a drubbing. Too many dropped balls and wrong options together with some sloppy tackling and it was game over really, despite a spirited start to the second half when we could easily have come back into the game but two disallowed tries put an end to that.

All I can say is that with Workington and Whitehaven both losing we look to be reasonably safe with three games left one of the cumbrian sides would have to win all three and we would have to lose all three which I doubt the Cumbrians managing that as I think they have to play teams well above us and we of course still have to play Whitehaven at home. So despite disappointment today I am still onfident of staying up, which we would all have settled for at the start of the season.

A very poor defensive performance today. Our kicking game was terrible and we did not deserve to win.

The officials were very poor, in particular the referee. 

Some of the decisions were a bit bewildering.

Do the players think the season is all over.

Playing like that when w, and they, know they can play better is an insult to the fans.

Soon after Lepori was sent off and no one seems to know why yet 

Repeated punches to the head of the headguarded Michael Knowles.

No provocation and no retaliation.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

Agree should be safe...... but if Haven beat Dewsbury away next week then it is game on for them given they play us then Swinton, seen us relegated from similar positions and can't see us winning another game !

No provocation, no retaliation!? So one of our most level headed , talented players thought it would be a good idea to throw multiple punches on a whim? Come on pull the other one.

from what i heard, he was allegedly gouged, and reacted (as you would....) and of course, its always that one who gets caught and punished init....

A very poor defensive performance today. Our kicking game was terrible and we did not deserve to win.

The officials were very poor, in particular the referee. 

Dave Hewitt's kicking was sound. Palfrey from the tee was good. I do agree some of the defence was poor. 

If Sheffield put paid to Workington on Sunday and Whitehaven lose at Dewsbury, we're safe, irrespective of our results.  However, if Haven pull something out of the bag and beat Dewsbury, the Oldham v Haven game suddenly becomes a squeaky bum cup-tie.  I don't want us going to Dewsbury on the last day of the season needing a result, especially when Haven will be hosting an already safe Swinton.

Positive thinking, we're going to be fine, we're going to be fine.

If Sheffield put paid to Workington on Sunday and Whitehaven lose at Dewsbury, we're safe, irrespective of our results. However, if Haven pull something out of the bag and beat Dewsbury, the Oldham v Haven game suddenly becomes a squeaky bum cup-tie. I don't want us going to Dewsbury on the last day of the season needing a result, especially when Haven will be hosting an already safe Swinton.

Positive thinking, we're going to be fine, we're going to be fine.

Swinton would need a result at Haven in that scenario. Or a point against either Bradford or Halifax to be safe going into the Haven game. Let's hope it doesn't come to that eh.

Swinton would need a result at Haven in that scenario. Or a point against either Bradford or Halifax to be safe going into the Haven game. Let's hope it doesn't come to that eh.

Indeed.  It's a bit like a tennis match all this.  We now have three match points, let's hope we take one!

Two weeks ago we were in a position that looked unassailable, with people talking about semi finals. It sounds like the players thought so too. Clocked off the last two games.

Stop factoring in this, that and the other. Haven might lose. But knowing our luck, results probably will go against us next week.

So we have one job. Win a game. One of three. That's it. Put it to bed.

If the team can't muster the effort for the last two games and can't win one game out of their last four against the other worst teams in the league.....we don't deserve to stay up.

Archived