Mine's bigger than yours!

The derby game is a big part of Rugby League folklore and arguments rage as to which is the biggest and most significant clash of neighbourly titans. In our next issue, Rugby League World will wade right into the middle of the debate. Hold onto your scarves it could get lively!

We'd also like to hear from you...

Which is the biggest derby game in Rugby League and why? Is it all just about attendances or is it something else? What makes a derby game so special? What are your lasting derby day memories? Are they the games you most look forward to seeing all season? We want the truth so don't hold back!

Send your comments to feedback@rugbyleagueworld.net

The sooner you get your thoughts in to us the more chance you have of them making the magazine. If you'd like to have your picture in the magazine alongside your comments feel free to send us a mugshot.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

May not be the biggest as far as crowds go, but in terms of intensity and passion Fev/Cas must be no.1. Trouble is they're a bit few and far between these days. And when Cas get kicked out of SL Fev will take their place so there'll still be no derby games. ;)

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

Widnes v Warrington used to be the most deadly rivalry in the sport. It may not have had the crowds of the plazzi scousers v pie eaters derby but for sheer brutality, violence, rivalry and hatred on and off the pitch it was number 1. Wait till Widnes get back into SL next time!

Forget about opinions and look at the facts, Saints V Wigan has the biggest combined crowd (home & away fixture) and they attract the biggest TV audience. Add in the fact that between them they have won more trophies than any of the other derby clubs combined, this makes this derby the biggest by a long way !!

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

Forget about opinions and look at the facts, Saints V Wigan has the biggest combined crowd (home & away fixture) and they attract the biggest TV audience. Add in the fact that between them they have won more trophies than any of the other derby clubs combined, this makes this derby the biggest by a long way !!

But its not a Derby ;)

Edited by westhuller

I wouldnt bother and lock it, we all know that a Derby is played by teams from the same city. All the rest are just pretending. :D smiley face added just to please John.

Bloody Hell! After all these years the media have been misleading Manchester United and Manchester City, isn't after all a derby! :D

logo_eyewear_bobster.gif

It's a;so the oldest one, so Iam led to believe.

logo_eyewear_bobster.gif

Over the years the biggest event would be Saints-Wigan, as these teams have generally been in the same division and more often near the top of the game. These are vital factors lacking elsewhere I would have thought. I couldn't say which derby has most venemous intensity though.

Since Leeds have no viable local opposition to trouble them - it currently leaves only Saints V Wigan as the biggest LOCAL AREA derby - if we are getting technical about what the definition is B)

Has to be Wigan vs Saints people who think FC vs Kr is bigger, its just not. Biggest crowd in the stadium and at home and i would think by a fer distance

" We have achieved what you can only dream of "

Follow me on Twitter @gaz_wigan

Got to be Saints v Wigan

nothing else comes close in my opinion

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

I wouldnt bother and lock it, we all know that a Derby is played by teams from the same city. All the rest are just pretending. :D smiley face added just to please John.

The term comes from Derby (as in Lord Derby) being the main event in the horse racing season. There was no requirement that all the horses come from the same town then or now.

Really, it is just nonsense.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Not according to the Oxford English Dictionary it's not.

(derby; also local derby)British a sports match between two rival teams from the same area

"Local Derby" Definition=A Rugby League match played in Kingston Upon Hull in the North East of England between two teams, one a group of heroes in black and white, the other a group of mainly Australians in red and white. There is no other Local Derby.

So there you have it.

(Retires to concrete bunker)

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

Has to be Wigan vs Saints people who think FC vs Kr is bigger, its just not. Biggest crowd in the stadium and at home and i would think by a fer distance

:lol: Yep, they really packed out the DWS this year didn't they? Both teams near or at the top of the table too. :rolleyes: Maybe the problem was there were too many of them at home. :lol:

Edited by deluded pom?

rldfsignature.jpg

Not according to the Oxford English Dictionary it's not.

(derby; also local derby)British a sports match between two rival teams from the same area

I do not know why we bother. This has been explained to them on numerous occasions.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

The obvious unbiased, unblinkered answer is Hull v KR.

Purely, as an Australian who attended all the "derby" games a couple of seasons ago stated that none compared with the rivalry and atmosphere of the Hull derby.

There you have it - an unbiased opinion and obviously the correct opinion - dream on the rest of you :P

Money can't buy you happiness!

It can buy you beer and that's a bit like happiness in a glass!

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."

Sir Winston Churchill

Some folks are wise and some are otherwise!

Tobias Smollett

"I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink."

Joe E Lewis

"Look at the ffing state of that"!

My mate on the Avenue last Friday whilst pointing to a scantily clad young lady and spitting a mouthful of beer out!

The obvious unbiased, unblinkered answer is Hull v KR.

Purely, as an Australian who attended all the "derby" games a couple of seasons ago stated that none compared with the rivalry and atmosphere of the Hull derby.

There you have it - an unbiased opinion and obviously the correct opinion - dream on the rest of you :P

Good old Dally ;)

Leigh V Wigan (a near same accent derby, unlike Stains V Wigan) cannot be matched for passion and hatred (at least from the Leythers :P )

We actually had the upper hand in these for quite a few years until 1985

Swinton V Salford used to be a decent derby

What about Worky V Haven

Skolars V Quims ;)