Union and League

I don’t know if anyone watched the Leicester v Munster European RU match the other day but I was struck by how closely it resembled a league match. It was all about the play the ball (ruck) with the added interest of the occasional turnover. Scrums didn’t impose on the match too much. Defense virtually dominated the game and just as when this happens in league clean breaks were few but the ball was in play the majority of the game. I’m not trying to make any particular point here other than that those who think they are completely different games and that Union is just a stop start sluggish game and watch accordingly might be surprised. The only difference was in the regularity of the turnover and the more kicking for field position.

if rugby union played the game so as the ruck/mauls were  just there to move the ball on quickly , i.e.like the play the ball , it would be a much better game to watch , but every time i watch it as soon as the ball appears another player takes it right back in , often repeated several times , until they drop the pens to 2 points , this will continue to happen .

I agree with what someone said  a while ago about having more differential penalties so there would be more potential for try scoring action in the 'red zone'

Archived