McDermott slams Wane over cannonball tackles

If only McDermott would drop his pants, we could hear what he is saying more clearly.

What he said, with his pants up, was fairly clear. Maybe if you took your head out of your backside, you'd hear it more clearly.

Thank you for your valuable contribution.

McDermott's article is incoherent, illogical dissembling nonsense. You didnt write it for him by any chance? With him at the helm, is it any wonder Leeds are where they are? The guy is clearly under pressure for a dismal failure of a season.

McDermott's article is incoherent, illogical dissembling nonsense. You didnt write it for him by any chance? With him at the helm, is it any wonder Leeds are where they are? The guy is clearly under pressure for a dismal failure of a season.

With him at the helm. Treble winners last year. This season and probably next season are transition seasons.

I'll take a couple of bad seasons.

As for Mac's article, it's spot on.

As a leading member of the WDL I'd expect you not to agree with it and for you to do your damndest to put it down.

You've tried and I credit it you for that.

This is from two or three days ago isn't it?

It's probably getting near the time that coaches and other major figures in our sport should be fined for personal attacks on others using the media or social networks.

Neither Wane or McDermott looks great in all this and it makes our sport look a bit childish IMO.

The players all are taught to use respect and always speak well of rival players and teams so why can't the coaches?

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

I can't understand why McDermott has an issue with Wane defending his own players. Surely that is what all coaches do, even more so after someone has come out and publicly criticised them. Every coach wants as many fit players as possible available every match, if a coach can make a good case at a disciplinary hearing and get that then that is in the best interest for them and there team.

Patwigaw

This is from two or three days ago isn't it?

It's probably getting near the time that coaches and other major figures in our sport should be fined for personal attacks on others using the media or social networks.

Neither Wane or McDermott looks great in all this and it makes our sport look a bit childish IMO.

The players all are taught to use respect and always speak well of rival players and teams so why can't the coaches?

i dont mind it. We dont get too many interesting rl stories in the media and i dont think there is anything disrespectful in it, just a difference of opinion, which should be welcomed.

The gaming of the disciplinary by a team with its fair share of disciplinary issues is a talking point within the game at the moment and Wane's view that the tackle was pretty much perfect is certainly worthy of being challenges and tbh is really quite worrying.

"Gaming"? Really? Or is it that we have a disposition combined with a herd mentality? Certainly that is an interesting thing to observe.

I think the 2 people are at cross purposes: On 3 man tackles, if they are dangerous they should be banned. McDermott portrays his starting point thus - I don't want to see legs broken. There is no one anywhere arguing with this point. Some fans are assuming that Wane is saying - I don't mind seeing legs broken. He is not, but I can see why people with a particular disposition would come to that conclusion. McDermott I think was attempting clumsily to set off along those lines with his "nothing against Wane and Tautai" line.

It is what follows where the differences of interpretation come in. There is dispute about what actually happened. Certainly, no one was injured and I suspect if Tautai had intended to cause injury he could have done. I don't think McDermott is saying that Tautai intended to injure, rather he may have been careless of reckless in his positioning. Given the careful consideration given by the disciplinary committee, the objective opinion seems to be careless. Unless of course you are in the 30 years of corruption and immoral to its core cadre of observers.

I think Wane has been either misquoted, misinterpreted or misguided in responding by attacking McDermott, who can respond with - I just want to protect people against having their legs broken, when that element is completely common ground. Wane might have felt that McDermott was implying that Wigan do want to break legs - and indeed I am sure many would infer that gleefully - but he was always going to fight a losing battle. He has been stupid in entering into a "debate" he cannot win.

There could be some benefit from this if the RFL clarifies what is and is not acceptable - if there can never be more than 2 men in any tackle or no tackles below the thigh for safety reasons then everyone needs to know this. Many of O'Loughlin's fitness problems stemmed from a smashed knee against Huddrsfield sustained in a 3 man tackle. Which received zero publicity for what it's worth.

McDermott's comments after the Wigan game seemed perfectly reasonable. He said that most coaches, fans and of course players don't want this at any level of the game. He also said that he was raising this now to prevent a player performing this type of tackle and severely injuring someone being punished OTT because of the injury caused when in reality the player was doing what had gone unpunished largely up to press.

Its similar to banning chicken wing tackles. It was a stain on the honest physicality in the game but did we need anyone to break their arm in a SL game to ban it? No.

RL is the great physical and mental game in the world IMO, but snide and dangerous forms of contact such as the two mentioned above do nothing for the game.

Wane's subsequent comments on the other hand were silly and shows a clear lack of understanding of what McDermott was trying to achieve. Clearly this wasn't a personalised Leeds vs Wigan issue, as tackles like that happen in most games, but Wane decided to make it so for what? Potentially a positive move in the game is reduced by Shaun Wane into a playground he said she said.

The Wigan coach can defend his player (on the basis that everyone else does it), but not in any way saying that the RFL have a Leeds encouraged agenda, particularly after the O'Loughlin high shot incedent.

There is dispute about what actually happened. Certainly, no one was injured and I suspect if Tautai had intended to cause injury he could have done.

To be fair, there can be little dispute about what happened. Cuthbertson was held up by two defenders and the tackle was just about complete but not having been called so by the ref. Tautai came in low at Cuthbertson's legs at the time that he was turning in the tackle.. As a result, Tautai hit him near side on which could have caused serious injury. The responsibility is Tautai's to tackle someone legally which he didn't. The ref didn't give a penalty which he surely would have done had he been able to see it again, as we can state given that Tautai was banned for it.

Watch it again here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nA-I4E_rb5I

Incident after 34 mins 50 seconds.

"Gaming"? Really? Or is it that we have a disposition combined with a herd mentality? Certainly that is an interesting thing to observe.

I'll ignore your increasing paranoia and defensiveness EW and answer what I mean by gaming.

Look at Wigan's performance in the disciplinary recently:

Vs Leeds:

Tautai -​ charged with Grade B, pleaded not guilty. Denied it was reckless and Wigan stated that they thought this was 'almost a perfect tackle' (apologies for attributing this to Wane earlier, it doesn't clarify whether it was Wane or the player stating this).  Wigan appeal and get this reduced to 1 - the tribunal give no reason why they think it should be 1 rather than 2. Right through, despite being found guilty in 2 disciplinaries, Wigan maintain the player did nothing wrong and these tackles are coached.

Charnley - contact with match official. Guilty plea - but as per usual at the moment, questions the grading. Read the disciplinary and you can see them trying to turn it round on the ref - "The player was frustrated by three decisions going against him in the previous sets. These decisions could have cost the game." A pretty unsavoury defence imho by Wane and Charnley. They once again appeal, but turned down.

Powell - gets a caution for similar to Tautai.

The week earlier:

O'loughlin - ban for high tackle - punished at lower than the grading.

The week prior:

Mossop - banned for 1 match for two tripping offences.

Last month:

Flower - Pleaded guilty to dangerous throw, grade c - challenged the severity. Part of his submission was that he plays the game hard but legal (how did they keep a straight face?). Offence downgraded and given 1 match - again below the charge. Wane and Flower not happy with that and appeal to get it re-graded and no suspension.

Just looking at that summary, it is clear that Wane and his players are refusing to take responsibility for their actions, and supported by a soft disciplinary have taken advantage of some very strange punishments through debates on grading.

I thought the Wigan club deserved credit for their handling of the Bateman and Flower incidents, but in these disciplinary hearings, less so.

I should also add that it is hard to blame Wigan for this approach, as they are getting success from a weak disciplinary, but they are undoubtedly taking advantage of this softness.

perhaps my use of English was clumsy - that is indeed what happened.

The dispute I was meaning to highligh was between whether Tautai intended to cause harm - in which case I am sure he could have done so - or not. Thanks for picking that up. Just 5 more days to go. And then we can get some peace.

The dispute I was meaning to highligh was between whether Tautai intended to cause harm - in which case I am sure he could have done so - or not. Thanks for picking that up. Just 5 more days to go. And then we can get some peace.

His intention is only part of the issues. A deliberate attempt to hurt would be dealt with accordingly. In this case he was reckless and still made an illegal tackle - that means his technique needs to change.

Dave T - actually, it would surely only count as paranoia if I had imagined that it was suggested that Wigan were a club without morals, which had been cheating the system for over 30 years. Though maybe I did. If not, then highlighting that that is a bit rich seems a reasonable stance to take.

"Gaming" suggests both that we are doing something wrong and that there is manipulation. There were reasonable arguments in every case, and similar precedents in every case, from other clubs.

His intention is only part of the issues. A deliberate attempt to hurt would be dealt with accordingly. In this case he was reckless and still made an illegal tackle - that means his technique needs to change.

I entirely agree.

Ah, I see.

I am, however, unsure how you can be certain if peace will reign after 5 days.

If any of your big, mean Wigan players touch any of my saintly Hull lot on Friday then this past few weeks for Wigan fans will pale into insignificance.

We'll see you after school.

Mcdermot is clearly blaming Wane at the same time as denying he's is blaming him. Yes, these things are serious, people are entitled to express their opinions but he is deliberately stirring this up for effect, and his disciples are lapping it up.

Dave T - actually, it would surely only count as paranoia if I had imagined that it was suggested that Wigan were a club without morals, which had been cheating the system for over 30 years. Though maybe I did. If not, then highlighting that that is a bit rich seems a reasonable stance to take.

"Gaming" suggests both that we are doing something wrong and that there is manipulation. There were reasonable arguments in every case, and similar precedents in every case, from other clubs.

the paranoia was around your herd comments.

Gaming doesnt have to be illegal or wrong at all. Wane likes his moral victories, my view is with some of those appeals there was no moral victory at all.

Your coach going along arguing that illegal tackles are perfect and that players only touch refs because the decisions went against them means it is little wonder Wigan have one of the worst disciplinary records in the league.

Mcdermot is clearly blaming Wane at the same time as denying he's is blaming him. Yes, these things are serious, people are entitled to express their opinions but he is deliberately stirring this up for effect, and his disciples are lapping it up.

we are disciples of McDermott? What a strange defence the Wigan fans are taking this time.

The article is extremely poorly written though it was difficult to follow and contradictory.

we are disciples of McDermott? What a strange defence the Wigan fans are taking this time.

The article is extremely poorly written though it was difficult to follow and contradictory.

He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy.

Ah, I see.

I am, however, unsure how you can be certain if peace will reign after 5 days.

If any of your big, mean Wigan players touch any of my saintly Hull lot on Friday then this past few weeks for Wigan fans will pale into insignificance.

We'll see you after school.

Classic!

Archived