spuggies and jackdaws and hedgehogs and frogs

• 3 weeks later...

Today a couple of yellowhammers, chaffinches, goldfinches, skylarks, one live pheasant one dead one and an army of seagulls in a ploughed field.

And the usual shed-load of stoggies.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

We get the odd Goldfinch which are nice to see, what are really rare now around are way are Tree sparrows. s

Suppose with the large pressence of Magpies now and declining natural habitats that it was inevitable that a once common bird such as the Tree Sparrow's numbers would decline.

• 2 weeks later...
Pair of red kites today.

Seen a lot of lapwing in the last couple of weeks too.

The red kites round here are certainly spreading their territory.

Used to be 2 in Duckville, seen 7 soaring together a few times.

Also seen the odd one a fair few miles north of here, around Kingswood.

Also got an unusual blackbird round work, it's mostly white, with black mottling.

Wires record breaking 10 match run: L 16-17 ; L 34-36 ; L 24-44 ; L 20-38 ; L 8-46; L 14-26 ; L 20-40 ; L 22-48 ; L 14-20 ; L 8-60. Thanks Jimmy.The Glamour Club. Apparently.

Captain Morgan Trophy Holders.(I still think we have the British Coal 9's trophy hidden somewhere, too...)

Ooooh, the Challenge Cup!!! Thank you Tony.....

And again!!!smith_morley_small.jpg

Tipping Competiton Challenged Shield Winner 2010

The red kites round here are certainly spreading their territory.

Used to be 2 in Duckville, seen 7 soaring together a few times.

Also seen the odd one a fair few miles north of here, around Kingswood.

Also got an unusual blackbird round work, it's mostly white, with black mottling.

I saw a blackbird like that a few weeks back. Apparently you do get ones that are completely white.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

6.30 Monday morning, looked out of the kitchen window expecting the usual crowd, and got this instead:

p1140583.jpg

Very pleased, first ever woodpecker in our garden and tops a fantastic winter full of birdlife. In fact it takes the species count to 21 since the RSPB birdwatch - not bad for suburban Leeds :)

we've started to notice more buzzards over a wider area this spring, there seems to be an area about 10 square miles where they are habiting

Is that 10 miles a side square, or an area 3x 3.33(333) miles per side?

;)

Wires record breaking 10 match run: L 16-17 ; L 34-36 ; L 24-44 ; L 20-38 ; L 8-46; L 14-26 ; L 20-40 ; L 22-48 ; L 14-20 ; L 8-60. Thanks Jimmy.The Glamour Club. Apparently.

Captain Morgan Trophy Holders.(I still think we have the British Coal 9's trophy hidden somewhere, too...)

I see what you did there, I can tell you whichever it is, it's definetely miles and not kilometres though, because these buzzards were imperial not metric ones

Imperial or metric, Golden Eagles have gone up in value though, but cash them in in Euros, then transfer the money to sterling via the dollar.(declare the tax in Gibratar, obviously, and transfer the money through the isle of man).

If you plan to cash in Goldfinches, give them extra niger thistle for a month in advance to boost the weight, similar advice with Goldcrests, feed up well.

Sadly, goldfish are still worthless, unless sold to under 16's.

Just went down to Princes Risborough to see my lad off back north after his Easter stay with me.

My daughter returns tomorrow.Along with her deadweight BF.

Anyway.

Soaring around the station were 11 red kites.

Could have watched them for hours, but sadly the shuttle back to duckville left 6 mins after his train to Banbury.

Soaring around the station were 11 red kites.

Could have watched them for hours, but sadly the shuttle back to duckville left 6 mins after his train to Banbury.

They are a wonderful sight, red kites. The word majestic must have been invented for them.

Sadly some idiot farmers/landowners don't understand that red kites don't take livestock, so red kites are still persecuted after all these years.

They are certainly doing well round here in north Leeds, due to a highly successful breeding programme at the Harewood Estate. Beautiful creatures. I've read that black kites are being re-introduced in the north east of England - good luck to them and the osprey programmes too.

They are a wonderful sight, red kites. The word majestic must have been invented for them.

Sadly some idiot farmers/landowners don't understand that red kites don't take livestock, so red kites are still persecuted after all these years.

They are certainly doing well round here in north Leeds, due to a highly successful breeding programme at the Harewood Estate. Beautiful creatures. I've read that black kites are being re-introduced in the north east of England - good luck to them and the osprey programmes too.

Hadn't heard that about black kites.

I know a pair of Chilterns bred red kites had been released there (was on telly), and I think the red kites around Leeds were from the chiltern region.

Hadn't heard that about black kites.

I know a pair of Chilterns bred red kites had been released there (was on telly), and I think the red kites around Leeds were from the chiltern region.

There are hundreds down the M40 between Junction 7 and the M25 junction.

There are hundreds down the M40 between Junction 7 and the M25 junction.

Stokenchurch is where they were first re-introduced, and they have spread from there.

They'll be up to junct 9 soon, already around 8.

Stokenchurch is where they were first re-introduced, and they have spread from there.

They'll be up to junct 9 soon, already around 8.

That tallies - one of my suppliers is based there looking with offices looking out onto fields and they stalk around on the grass giving it the big I am.

I've spent many an afternoon doing no work watching them. Brilliant.