Average Crowds 2016

The lack of crowds on BBC/Sporting Life etc this season has meant, mercifully, fewer crowd analyses than we usually get during the year. But let's have your team's average attendance for weekly round games in 2016, with the 2015 average in for comparison.

I'll start with Warrington:*

2016: 11,035

2015: 9,602

That's a decent uplift (a shade under 15%) but in line with expectations. Draper put a lot into improving the game-day experience and making the process of buying a ticket easier for fans. There has been the odd issue but the feedback I have seen has been good. We have had a couple of bumper crowds against Widnes (on Good Friday, when they were joint top) and against Wigan of course the other week. On the field, performances have been much improved of course and we brought in a good few players for this season - so an increase was to be expected.

*Credit to Winslade's Offload on RLFans for these figures.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wigan's average went up slightly to 13.5k. Which, considering the air of gloom around the team's lack of style is fine and dandy.

Selling tickets for next year may be a challenge given the long term/career ending nature of a number of the bigger stars' injuries...

Decent effort from us, quite happy with that. If we didn't have the Thursday games I think we would go even better - Thursday games versus Wigan have now dragged the crowds down for that one - 2k fewer than the game against Saints on a Friday night gives you an indication of the potential losses there.

Our lowest crowd of the year was Thursday against Salford with 9k there.

I agree that the crowds are now impossible to collate. Great effort from Wire this year and crowds should be boosted even more next year with the 5k travelling Leigh fans to all corners (I think I have just had a flashback to 2007 and Hull KR's promises of a endless travelling throng) :) 

I agree that the crowds are now impossible to collate. Great effort from Wire this year and crowds should be boosted even more next year with the 5k travelling Leigh fans to all corners (I think I have just had a flashback to 2007 and Hull KR's promises of a endless travelling throng) :)

All crowd numbers available in 'League Express'.

Huddersfield was 5,234 i believe which is down from 6,123 from 2015

But i collate away followings and they are reducing year on year, so much that only 2/3 clubs now bring well over 1,000.whereas previously some clubs would bring 2, 3, or even close to 4 thousand away fans with them.

Maybe those rejoicing when the Bulls were relegated should bear this in mind!

This report says attendance average down for 2016 http://the18thman.com/2016/09/28/super-league-attendances-down-on-last-season-attendance-review-2016/ .

Considering the game was averaging over 10k just a few years ago it shows we are just treading water. This is despite manufacturing a season that allows Wigan v Saints x3, Wire v Saints x3, Wigan v Wire x3, Wire v Widnes x3, Cas v Wakey x3 etc. 

I am yet to read any top down strategy to get averages to 10 or 12k which should be realistic given the clubs we have. RU have grown their average crowds from 6k to 15-20k within 20 years of professionalism with pretty much the same clubs. We used to take the moral high ground that more people watched club RL. Well we are stagnating and other sports (even 20/20 cricket) are finding ways to fill stadiums.

I believe the fans are there to make RL averages boom. We have to make attending a RL game an experience again and not a mundane slog.

Just to add abit of context...the super duper billion dollar NRL average this season is "only" 15,725

So double that of SL. I believe at its height it has only ever been 16-17k but we averaged around over 10k with a 14-club league a few years ago and now average 8.8k with only 12 clubs (including binning London who averaged around 2-4k).

Wigan's average went up slightly to 13.5k. Which, considering the air of gloom around the team's lack of style is fine and dandy.

Selling tickets for next year may be a challenge given the long term/career ending nature of a number of the bigger stars' injuries...

what percentage of this gate includes free or cheap marketing tickets given as per the catalan game to attract false support. personally as a season ticket holder in the east stand two indicators suggest the size of the crowd ie the south and more importantly the west, neither suggests an increase , in fact a decline  simply i admit by a game by game head count but the same decline in away fans reflects the same.

although tomorrow if the boast of travelling hull fans is correct then the dw should be full.,

strange that you say that the lack of style is fine, even the most dejected fan would not say that BUT MAYBE A TROLL WOULD  or maybe just a ????????????????????

as for bigger stars actually  as per leeds saints wigan and warrington teams are filled with next years talent that is why they are in the top four not stars but very talented kids given the chance to show their ability.

Thanks Scubby, the figures are well set out on that site.

What I think the figures show is that the system is fine for the established big clubs, with Wigan, Hull, Warrington, Catalans all posting modest but respectable increases, and Leeds holding up well despite a catastrophic season. Cas have done well too reflecting the fact they have a few good seasons back-to-back and their supporters have reasonable expectations. The anomalies are Saints, who have had quite a big fall despite a reasonable league performance, and Huddersfield who have had a 'mare on the field.

But what it also shows is that those clubs involved in a relegation battle previously aren't particularly enthused by the project. Salford have struggled; Hull KR have stood still. Widnes' crowds started well with their success, and have declined since. Wakefield have done ok.

The risk is that the 3x8s is reinforcing the distance between the haves and the have-nots. But clearly the system isn't the only reason - many of these clubs have struggled for years to kindle enthusiasm in their localities.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

I'd say that's a fairly good result given the season they've had...

Fairly good???

I'd say that is outstanding

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

I meant that an increase was fine and dandy despite the dire level of "entertainment", Gordon. I have not bbeen accused of being an anti Wigan troll before...

JB's observations are absolutely spot on.

We need a.visionary in charge - maybe dulwich's finest could be the one?

This report says attendance average down for 2016 http://the18thman.com/2016/09/28/super-league-attendances-down-on-last-season-attendance-review-2016/ .

Considering the game was averaging over 10k just a few years ago it shows we are just treading water. This is despite manufacturing a season that allows Wigan v Saints x3, Wire v Saints x3, Wigan v Wire x3, Wire v Widnes x3, Cas v Wakey x3 etc. 

I am yet to read any top down strategy to get averages to 10 or 12k which should be realistic given the clubs we have. RU have grown their average crowds from 6k to 15-20k within 20 years of professionalism with pretty much the same clubs. We used to take the moral high ground that more people watched club RL. Well we are stagnating and other sports (even 20/20 cricket) are finding ways to fill stadiums.

I believe the fans are there to make RL averages boom. We have to make attending a RL game an experience again and not a mundane slog.

Difficult to comment, especially as "crowds are now impossible to collate"   :rolleyes: .

Archived