Canadian sports broadcasting options

So what are the broadcasting options for the Toronto Wolfpack and Rugby League in Canada? Is the sports tv market competitive? Who are the leading players and most importantly can we get a tv deal which will bring money into the game.

That's an interesting question actually, I don't know if the whole sport is tied to Sky or whether they can have their own TV rights like Catalans seem to have with a tie in to Sky

If that's the case in a new territory the sky (i'll get mi coat!) really is the limit I guess.

The sports TV market is as far as I can see ESPN and the normal north American broadcasters along with Canadian sports networks (Perez is linked to the national network) as well as state networks so there is room to sell rights from the nationals to the regionals and across north America due to satellite broadcasting - and there are a lot of free sports channels as well on those networks so at least in time there is a massive audience to reach outside pay per view

Other posters in other topics have suggested the Toronto area is a business hub for north America and as 70% of American exports go to Canada that's pretty big news - Toronto is mad for sport of any kind and seems to buy into the event as much as the sport itself a la NFL and NBA type broadcasts - generate the buzz and they will come apparently regardless and that's exactly what Perez (the advertising exec - what a coup that is) seems to be doing

I imagine it will all come out in the wash but beyond the basics of the admin head coach there isn't much meat on the bones

I understand there are players already approached by the other posters on here but there are precious few names other than Beswick which may or may  not be true

The reality show Nobby seems to have got his name into will be interesting as they try and identify Canadians and other north American (and hopefully Jamaican!) talent - in fact I hope they don't limit themselves to that because there is the whole of the Americas to choose from and there will be athletes all over the place that could do a good job for that team

All interesting stuff and as mentioned elsewhere its very much wait and see unless you are living under a hedge and have never been out of the local half square mile in which case it has already failed

TSN and Sportsnet are the main two networks in Canada so I'd assume they'd try to get either of these two involved. Sport at any level in North America is broadcast much better than over this side of the world so I don't think they'll struggle. It all just depends how much

rsz_1rsz_1rsz_2bulldogsbanner.png

Sportsnet seems more likely, I don't know how much they'll be putting in money wise though. They blew 5 billion on NHL rights and by the sounds of it it isn't going well for them. Blue Jays popularity should help offset that if sustained. TSN is the other main option, their big properties are the CFL, curling and BPL soccer. They also have been broadcasting Rugby Canada games for the last few years as well the last few RWCs. Both networks have 5-6 channels to fill and often have the same thing on multiple channels so there should be broadcasting room.

I wouldn't expect much from either of them, EXCEPT that CRL has the previous relationship with Rogers (Sportsnet). With the amount of sports we have going on here I doubt there will be any significant TV viewership in the first few years. I think the key will be the in-stadium experience. A good example is Toronto FC. Despite being known as a very good live experience they still don't get great TV numbers. Last weeks game between Montreal (1st in the East) and Toronto (3rd in the East)  didn't crack the top 20 sports broadcasts in the country last week. Spot 21 was NBA Spurs Vs Grizzlies at 97000.

A March to July season means they'll be competing with NHL and NBA late season and playoffs, Blue Jays pre season and regular season, and starting in June Canadian Football. Oh and MLS I suppose.

Archived