Widnes v Huddersfield match report in Mauritius

Arrived yesterday at the Constance le Prince Maurice in Mauritius for wifes 50th bithday and went for brekkie this morning.

The hotel provides a 6 x A4 double sided 'Britain Today' paper with up to dates news stories. I opened the back page and lo and behold to my surprise and astonishment there was a match report of the Widnes and Huddersfield game. I nearly dropped my thinly sliced smoked Marlin into me cornflakes.

I say get Nige out here for a week and watch the game, or him judging by the mountains of food on offer, explode.

And before anyone asks how the hell a lad from Cas get to stay at this hotel .... they think I am an Aussie as we used our Aussie passports!

Great story but, without sounding like a prat, i reckon I can top that for "league in strange places":

When I were a lad of 26 in 1990, I was backpacking in Saddam Hussein's Iraq (as one does) and sitting in a Baghdad hotel foyer.

A TV was on showing an Iraqi sports program, when suddenly on came brief highlights of … the 1990 Challenge Cup final !

The Iraqi secret police spies no doubt watching me must have wondered why I fell off my chair! 

Great story but, without sounding like a prat, i reckon I can top that for "league in strange places":

When I were a lad of 26 in 1990, I was backpacking in Saddam Hussein's Iraq (as one does) and sitting in a Baghdad hotel foyer.

A TV was on showing an Iraqi sports program, when suddenly on came brief highlights of … the 1990 Challenge Cup final !

The Iraqi secret police spies no doubt watching me must have wondered why I fell off my chair!

Yep, that tops it.

It begs the question why the hell would anyone want to back pack around Iraq. It sounds nearly as dangerous as an outsider going on a pub crawl in Featherstone!

Yep, that tops it.

It begs the question why the hell would anyone want to back pack around Iraq. It sounds nearly as dangerous as an outsider going on a pub crawl in Featherstone!

Actually, from my years of backpacking, I found dictatorships were always quite good places to travel through with regard to general safety and security. I certainly had no problems with safety and security in Iraq; in fact, everyone went out of their way to help me, were very generous etc. And Iraq itself was a brilliant place to visit in pre-Iraq War I and II days. Baghdad was an incredibly colourful and multicultural city, with grand mosaic mosques and wonderful art, while the Kurdish areas up north were brilliant. 

Having been bombed back into the stone age since, Baghdad is no doubt not as much fun now!  

And all this is in no way an endorsement of the policies of Saddam Hussein !

Archived