Ad Bloc and the Independent

For years the national daily newspapers being only national in that they're sold all over the country have largely ignored TGG. Not only that but their meagre coverage is getting smaller if anything and most of them don't even have an RL correspondent on their books anymore. So when I went to the Independent website from Newsnow RL I found they weren't happy with may adbloc extension and they attempted to persuade me to disable it. They gave me no way of informing them why I wouldn't so I decided to put the message on here. Maybe Dave Hadfield can pass it on. When you cover my sport to the extent it deserves I'll remove my adbloc and maybe even buy your paper. Until then I've found an even more powerful adbloc add-on so the ball is in your court. :biggrin:

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

I didn't wait for Dave H. and sent this;

Dear sir or Madam,

I've just been to your website and was asked to disable my ad-bloc and you gave me no opportunity to explain why.

I follow Rugby League and have grown tired of the meagre coverage you provide of my sport.

When that changes I will be only too happy to disable my ad-bloc.

Regards

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

That'll show them.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

For years the national daily newspapers being only national in that they're sold all over the country have largely ignored TGG. Not only that but their meagre coverage is getting smaller if anything and most of them don't even have an RL correspondent on their books anymore. So when I went to the Independent website from Newsnow RL I found they weren't happy with may adbloc extension and they attempted to persuade me to disable it. They gave me no way of informing them why I wouldn't so I decided to put the message on here. Maybe Dave Hadfield can pass it on. When you cover my sport to the extent it deserves I'll remove my adbloc and maybe even buy your paper. Until then I've found an even more powerful adbloc add-on so the ball is in your court. :biggrin:

Oh dear. Time machine required...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35561145

- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

If you use ad blockers, you're only hastening the demise of 'free' content websites.

Ads may be a bit annoying at times, but how else are websites that don't charge for their content (like TRL, for example) supposed to generate revenue with which to pay the people who are providing the content and the platforms to host it on?

Servers, bandwidth and quality journalists cost hard cash.

I think your protest to the Independent is counter-productive. If you'd told them how much you appreciate that the title still exists as an online newspaper despite the demise of the print edition, that you are a regular visitor and that if they added/increased Rugby League content your visits would be even more frequent, plus you'd encourage other RL fans to bookmark their site above others, you may have got somewhere. As it is, you've told them that you are blocking their ads and as such are of no value to them as a visitor, so why should they go out of their way to do anything for you?

the guardian i find keep the ads to a relative minimum and despite the msm being the modern bogeyman they give me an amazing amount of content for free. ads are easily ignored, the creeping advertorial is far more insidious and worthy of concern

PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/article/8790/join-team-wales-for-2013

Predictions for the future -

Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG

Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT

Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG

Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/

http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!

http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

the guardian i find keep the ads to a relative minimum and despite the msm being the modern bogeyman they give me an amazing amount of content for free. ads are easily ignored, the creeping advertorial is far more insidious and worthy of concern

The Guardian is also losing a lot of money, fast. They are desperate to sign people up as paying members to their website.

Quality does not necessarily mean profitability.

Good (long) piece by the current editor Kath Viner below.

How technology disrupted the truth

The Guardian is also losing a lot of money, fast. They are desperate to sign people up as paying members to their website.

Quality does not necessarily mean profitability.

Good (long) piece by the current editor Kath Viner below.

How technology disrupted the truth

Careful now. They'll reap what they sew 

1392220599.png

- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

An interesting article and viewpoint. Never-the-less I'm somebody that likes to read hard-copy but I stopped buying newspaper because of the journalistic output and poor standard of print/format.

I don't ever bother to read the standard newspapers on-line versions because when I have tried they are very difficult to read with slow updates and adverts plus the meaningless feeds to other stories linked to elsewhere.

Most of my older circle of friends would also continue to read hard copy newspapers but have for similar reasons stopped.  The older population has grown so their could have been still a sizable readership that hasn't just declined because of digital media age.  Plus I note my over 25 years children always read any papers I leave lying around.

The digital world has certainly impacted but I think they have also seriously impacted themselves with poor copy and journalistic output.

Archived