Rugby League at the Serbian Sports Fair in Belgrade

That was what they were reporting but last years attendance has been recorded at 60,000

http://www.tanjug.rs/full-view_en.aspx?izb=287439

Still good numbers.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

What is the best path forward for RL in Serbia? Get more of their players into teams in the UK/France or keep them in Serbia and keep strengthening the domestic league?

They need to stay there but they need cash and a pathway to higher leagues and better wages.

I live out here and watch a few games and a small amount of cash goes along way, the average wage is around 350 euros per month , the American embassy have thrown alot of money at American football which has been a big success .

If we had RL as a career for the youth the game would explode in interest but that would mean 8 semi pro / pro teams having to be bankrolled by someone ?

These issues need looking at by richer nations , Aus and Nz need to help in developing countries around them and maybe we need to do the same?

But not heritage teams like Scotland where there is zero chance of getting the game going in my opinion!

They need to stay there but they need cash and a pathway to higher leagues and better wages.

I live out here and watch a few games and a small amount of cash goes along way, the average wage is around 350 euros per month , the American embassy have thrown alot of money at American football which has been a big success .

If we had RL as a career for the youth the game would explode in interest but that would mean 8 semi pro / pro teams having to be bankrolled by someone ?

These issues need looking at by richer nations , Aus and Nz need to help in developing countries around them and maybe we need to do the same?

But not heritage teams like Scotland where there is zero chance of getting the game going in my opinion!

Agree with Ian that American football has been a big success maybe in time we can poach a fair few of those players. Serbian Rugby League needs Money simple as that Australia, NZ need to help but what about England surely instead of throwing bombs they can help with some good things like money this time after all they are a fellow European country.

Money in my opinion is needed most of all to promote the sport via media,newspapers in schools to get more kids playing. 

next 5 years will be crucial i see they celebrated 15 year anniversary of Rugby League reforming in Serbia great achievement but next 5 years could be make or break.

This might seem far fetched but why couldn't two Super-League teams play a exhibition match one day in Belgrade all League needs is promotion Serbian people come to it without a doubt. 

I was going to put in a like but there was a bit I didn't so I decided to quote the really great bit and avoid an irrelevant tangent for the thread.

I love seeing stories like these, if for no other reason than they explode the myth that RL is an odd game that for some strange reason only the Northern English and people in Sydney like.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Agree with Ian that American football has been a big success maybe in time we can poach a fair few of those players. Serbian Rugby League needs Money simple as that Australia, NZ need to help but what about England surely instead of throwing bombs they can help with some good things like money this time after all they are a fellow European country.

Money in my opinion is needed most of all to promote the sport via media,newspapers in schools to get more kids playing. 

next 5 years will be crucial i see they celebrated 15 year anniversary of Rugby League reforming in Serbia great achievement but next 5 years could be make or break.

This might seem far fetched but why couldn't two Super-League teams play a exhibition match one day in Belgrade all League needs is promotion Serbian people come to it without a doubt.

I agree it would not take much effort, good opportunity for all really

I believe Ian that the reason we are losing players to the union bastar**s is that we are no where near them on an international level in terms of strong national teams i then wonder why our big League clubs and organisations like the NRL don't do more in country's like Serbia to promote the game, really annoys me. 

I believe Ian that the reason we are losing players to the union bastar**s is that we are no where near them on an international level in terms of strong national teams i then wonder why our big League clubs and organisations like the NRL don't do more in country's like Serbia to promote the game, really annoys me.

My feelings too, we dont need to give much really to get rich rewards from Serbia.

Serbia vs Italy attendance 1,037* (national team, homegrown involved, match for a World Cup place). 

That is something to build on, although I'm not sure people there are interested on SL, to be honest. 

If it was the NRL...

I'm not sure Super League footy attracts many people, even those who love RL. 

Toronto Wolfpack Global Ambassador

Will people stop asking NZ for money please? NZ has no money. All the money is in Australia.

But the likes of ARLC Chief Commissioner John Grant, and media celebrity Phil Gould, could not give a damn about Australia helping other countries. They are insular.

Serbia vs Italy attendance 1,037* (national team, homegrown involved, match for a World Cup place). 

That is something to build on, although I'm not sure people there are interested on SL, to be honest. 

If it was the NRL...

I'm not sure Super League footy attracts many people, even those who love RL. 

Decent size crowd that was, doubt that stadium "the Maksis" can hold much more then that so a very good crowd. 

It was a pretty ignorant comment considering Super League rugby regularly draws huge crowds by anyone's standards

No it wasn't, given all the non English people connected to rl I talked to these years told they don't really follow the English game and prefer the NRL.

Toronto Wolfpack Global Ambassador

No it wasn't, given all the non English people connected to rl I talked to these years told they don't really follow the English game and prefer the NRL.

So you think nobody would show up in Belgrade to watch Wigan v Hull? Or Catalans v Leeds? 

Archived