STOP PRESS McNamara Gone - WAYNE BENNETT IS ENGLAND COACH

According to reports in the media here, Wayne Bennett has been offered a coaching role with England RL

Apparently the specific details of the role would have to be worked out.

So presumably negotiations are taking place.

LATEST NEWS: 

England head coach Steve McNamara has left the post after the Rugby Football League decided not to renew his deal.

McNamara's contract expired at the end of last year, following England's 2-1 series victory over New Zealand.

The 44-year-old Englishman was appointed in 2010 and combined the role with his job at Sydney Roosters, where he remains assistant coach.

Wayne Bennett appointed as England Head Coach

Most successful Rugby League coach of modern era given two year contract until December 2017. Bennett will take charge of England in 2016 Four Nations and 2017 World Cup

The RFL is delighted to announce that Wayne Bennett is to become the new Head Coach of the England Rugby League team. 

Speaking following the announcement, RFL Chief Executive Nigel Wood, said:“Wayne is quite rightly regarded as the outstanding coach of his generation and I am delighted that we have been able to secure his services. 

“This England team has made considerable progress over the last few years and we now possess truly world class players across all positions. These players deserve the very best support and coaching as we attempt to move from contenders into potential winners of international tournaments.

“I believe that Wayne Bennett is undoubtedly the right man to lead this group forward and enable them to do this”.

Bennett, who has a record seven NRL Grand Final wins as a coach, will continue in his role as Head Coach of the Brisbane Broncos and will travel across to the UK in February as his side take on Wigan Warriors as part of the annual World Club Series involving the top sides from the Telstra NRL Premiership and First Utility Super League. 

Speaking about his appointment, Wayne Bennett, said: “I am very excited by the challenge of taking England on to the next level. 

“From what I have seen I have been impressed by the ambition and energy demonstrated by the team and I look forward to working with a group of players that I believe have what it takes to succeed on the international stage.”

Very good news for the game of RL as a whole IMO. I have long felt the sport would benefit greatly if England/ GB dominated for a couple of years as this would bring plenty of the average punters interest back to Internationals & Australia would be forced to put SOO in it's place behind Country. Any way I don't like Bennett much but there is no doubting his coaching ability's so it's now up to the players now to respond. 

Ps bet there is a couple of changes coming to the squad.

Archived