Sam Burgess and Rabbitohs

I don't usually start new topics but I've just watched back to back Rabbitohs games on MSK and Sam was fantastic. I always felt he was overrated but he was arguably the best player in both matches with some huge hits, great line breaks and his general energy levels. He played about 65-70 mins in both games as well and the Aussie commentators were raving about him. I'm proud of the guy. Regarding the rabbitohs they lost both games but IMO were the better side both times. I think they are very strong in the forwards but are lacking something in the backs, they are too vulnerable down the wings and let in too many tries down the sides. I think they have the potential to make the grand final but they've got to start clicking. I've just realised that Sam Burgess got MOM when they lost against Dragons and the commentator mentioned that it was the first time MOM was given for player on losing team for ages!

He was immense wasn't he - great to see. I've never thought of him as huge but he looked it against the other players

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

Burgess has been brilliant for us all season long. As far as Souths efforts go though - we've got a great forward pack and a good back line, however Chris Sandow is too much of a liability. He has the skills, but I've never known a bloke to lose confidence so quickly. Mentally he's just too soft. The club will be lucky to make the top 8.

Was just reading this about Burgess:

Burgess becomes the big hitter

Interesting that his size has increased sicne arriving at Souths, but body fat is down:

"When he joined Souths from Bradford, he weighed 109kg and his body fat was 12 per cent. He now tips the scales at 112kg, but his body fat has dropped to less than 8 per cent."

Looking forward to seeing him in the Four Nations

Why are people surprised by this? He was quality player at Bradford, he's quality player at Souths.

Correct.

I think the fact that he is from England, and not the Land of Supermen, has them all a bit flummoxed.

I am also proud of Sam and the performances that he is putting on such a regular basis, however I do tend to watch not only him but Ellis and Flanagan also with a lot of interest.

What strikes me is that Ellis does tend to last the games and the pace better than Sam. Although in all honesty I wonder if Burgess is trying too hard at times. As the commentator at the weekend stated: what is Sam Burgess not involved in?

Correct me if wrong, but did not Burgess play the full 80 regularly at Bradford?

Those last two games in the NRL that the Rabbitohs have played in Sam has clearly been at a stage of visible exhaustion and has HAD to be rested, to my recollection I cannot remember this being the case when at Bradford, injured yes, but exhausted?

Although in all honesty I wonder if Burgess is trying too hard at times. As the commentator at the weekend stated: what is Sam Burgess not involved in?

He's still a bit over-eager with offloads, but he, like Ellis at Wests, has quickly become a crowd favourite.

And the Aussie pundits are being forced to admit that the British can play Rugby. B)

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hate to put a dampner on the chip on the shoulder brigade but British players have always been respected and popular in Autsrlian RL, from Cliff Watson and Tommy Bishop to Ellery and Offiah and the likes of Morley and Burgess more recently. Any suggestion that we have to grudgingly admit they are good players or any such nonsense is just a figment of the imaginations of those who like to believe the world of Australian RL is as xenophobic as they are of Australians, even though there are more Aussies at every SL club than there are Brits at all the NRL clubs put together. If anything the Channel Nine commentators are probably over the top in their praise and this might have something to do with the fact he is a regular on Channel Nine's Footy Show, something which also strikes a blow against those who like to think Australians either dislike or don't appreciate British players. Ask any fan here and they all want to see more good British players playing here, not less.

I am also proud of Sam and the performances that he is putting on such a regular basis, however I do tend to watch not only him but Ellis and Flanagan also with a lot of interest.

What strikes me is that Ellis does tend to last the games and the pace better than Sam. Although in all honesty I wonder if Burgess is trying too hard at times. As the commentator at the weekend stated: what is Sam Burgess not involved in?

Correct me if wrong, but did not Burgess play the full 80 regularly at Bradford?

Those last two games in the NRL that the Rabbitohs have played in Sam has clearly been at a stage of visible exhaustion and has HAD to be rested, to my recollection I cannot remember this being the case when at Bradford, injured yes, but exhausted?

Only watching limited NRl, can you answer whether many props play the full 80, or are they spelled?

It is a frustration with me with Saints and Graham. He is still an excellent player, but there is no doubt that he is not as effective as if he was spelled regularly.

IMHO teams need four props in the 17 to rotate and keep up the levels of intensity rather than knackering out your props.

The guy's obviously found his level - he was playing around complete dross at Bradford, playing with the best brings out the best in people, simple as.

No doubting he's always been a great player, but still a way to go before he's on a par with the great Kevin Ward and his stint at Manly

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

Think he has had to move up a Level playing in the NRL. You can play not to the best of your abilty in SL and get away with it. The NRL where teams are move evenly matched and where there are more players for places you have to be on your game more. Its good to see him going so well and must give him much confidence-the same with Ellis and Flanaghan. There are British players who can succedd in the NRL and make the Aussies look not as Superhuman as they think. Next year will be the key for him. Will he be found out and lose confidence or will he keep the high standards he has made?

The guy's obviously found his level - he was playing around complete dross at Bradford, playing with the best brings out the best in people, simple as.

More than an element of truth here - especially the latter half of last season, his heart clearly wasn't in it anymore and as such had a dissapointing last season for the Bulls IMO. Even though he has always played in a less than great squad over here, he always gave standout performances prior to that I feel. Pleased to see he is now better than ever.

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

gould was talking about him being amongst the best in the nrl

hes playing in a strong pack so its much easier to stand out and do the big hits

if he was in a weaker pack he would need to lift his game

It's not the big hits that he's getting praised for by the TV commentators; it's his constant tackling and looking for work.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

It's not the big hits that he's getting praised for by the TV commentators; it's his constant tackling and looking for work.

the commentators usually gets orgasmic over him after he puts on a bit shot on someone

every game he does at least one where he rocks the opposition player.

we all tend to notice the flash things more than the toilers

the commentators usually gets orgasmic over him after he puts on a bit shot on someone

every game he does at least one where he rocks the opposition player.

we all tend to notice the flash things more than the toilers

I watched the match from the weekend and they never once mentioned his "big shots" but continually praised him for his work rate and effort.

More than an element of truth here - especially the latter half of last season, his heart clearly wasn't in it anymore and as such had a dissapointing last season for the Bulls IMO. Even though he has always played in a less than great squad over here, he always gave standout performances prior to that I feel. Pleased to see he is now better than ever.

He definitely seems to be enjoying himself, and that always makes a difference to performance in any walk of life.

Also, like Ellis, he was on good form right from the start, so his confidence was always high.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson