The AJ Bell Stadium

Apologies for the naivity here....

Maybe someone here can shed some light.

Driving over the M60 tonight, and looked over to see the AJ Bell stadium.

I remember Salford's vision for a stadium which would be all seeing to traffic passing over and feeling excited by their potential new exposure to advertising who they were and that they are here!

I know the original stadium plans didn't come to fruition - but great they got a new stadium (albeit there's only one decent stand). Still, from a birdseye view - looks good.

Then, out of the corner of my eye I see a poster on the corner 'Home of the Sale Sharks.'

I know Salford and Sale both play there - but I thought this whole project was a Salford RL lead thing?! Makes me feel disappointed for the Reds of Salford!

I'm not a Salford fan primarly, but a Wolves fan - but really root for Salford and want to see them fulfil their potential.

Do Sale own the stadium? If so, how and why?

Apologies for the naivity here....

Maybe someone here can shed some light.

Driving over the M60 tonight, and looked over to see the AJ Bell stadium.

I remember Salford's vision for a stadium which would be all seeing to traffic passing over and feeling excited by their potential new exposure to advertising who they were and that they are here!

I know the original stadium plans didn't come to fruition - but great they got a new stadium (albeit there's only one decent stand). Still, from a birdseye view - looks good.

Then, out of the corner of my eye I see a poster on the corner 'Home of the Sale Sharks.'

I know Salford and Sale both play there - but I thought this whole project was a Salford RL lead thing?! Makes me feel disappointed for the Reds of Salford!

I'm not a Salford fan primarly, but a Wolves fan - but really root for Salford and want to see them fulfil their potential.

Do Sale own the stadium? If so, how and why?

The project was indeed originally driven by Salford Red Devils and Salford Council with Peel Holdings.

Unfortunately by the time the stadium was complete, SRD were pretty much bust.

Salford Council and Peel became rather concerned about a stadium they had paid for, with no potential tennants.

Sale Sharks agreed a favourable long term lease. At that point the lease for the club shop, stadium naming rights were also for sale.

SRD couldn't even pay staff, let alone buy leases or naming rights. Sale Sharks paid the lease for the shop, bought the naming rights (which they then sold on to AJ Bell)

Several months later Dr K bought SRD and ironically they then had the money to buy the rights and leases, but too late.

So no, Sale Sharks do not own the stadium, they are tennants like Salford, however they do own the naming rights and the lease to the shop in the stadium.

Curiously though, Salford train at the stadium and have their offices there, Sharks have a separate training ground and base in Carrington( yes right next door to Man United and the old City training ground)

Finally, I know the banner to which you refer, but no, I do not know if Salford are prevented from putting one up or just can't be bothered.

PS despite AJ Bell being predominately a RU sponsor, after naming the stadium they also now sponsor the Red Devils (albeit at a smaller figure)

Archived