If we going to keep the video referee in its present form the TV games have to kick off earlier. To finish a game at 10.07 pm on a Thursday is not acceptable!. Which brings me to the point of looking again at what a video ref can look at or even get rid altogether. Captains call maybe? You get two? Challenges each half that's it. Something has to be done, it's ridiculous how long the TV games go on for and how many times the referee says 'just check..' There has to be a better way!

f3gms4.jpg

The VR has a role, which needs to stay and will stay.

Games are being prolonged and the momentum of games is being affected by players and coaches using the VR as a foil. Strong refereeing can stop that and the games will speed up in most instances.

I would prefer to see two referees. The NRL model appears to work but there has to be more focus on 'ruck' referees picking up forward passes.

Again IMO, Linesmans roles are probably more at risk. What do they add in the current regime? Seems to be very little with Refs going to the VR anyway.

Games are being prolonged and the momentum of games is being affected by players and coaches using the VR as a foil. Strong refereeing can stop that and the games will speed up in most instances.

I would prefer to see two referees. The NRL model appears to work but there has to be more focus on 'ruck' referees picking up forward passes.

Again IMO, Linesmans roles are probably more at risk. What do they add in the current regime? Seems to be very little with Refs going to the VR anyway.

The state of refereeing now is down to the refs and nothing else. It is the idea that a referee's professionalism will come to be questioned if they get a decision wrong which is leading to the habitual use of the VR and the games overlords accept that. 

Just look at the PTB as a further example of their influence. In an attempt to speed the game up the correct way to PTB is now no longer required, obviously with the acceptance of the referees, meanwhile the game is being slowed down in order to accommodate the refs status and technology.

What we need is strong direction which can identify and prioritise dynamism over protocols and gimmicks.

The state of refereeing now is down to the refs and nothing else. It is the idea that a referee's professionalism will come to be questioned if they get a decision wrong which is leading to the habitual use of the VR and the games overlords accept that.

Just look at the PTB as a further example of their influence. In an attempt to speed the game up the correct way to PTB is now no longer required, obviously with the acceptance of the referees, meanwhile the game is being slowed down in order to accommodate the refs status and technology.

What we need is strong direction which can identify and prioritise dynamism over protocols and gimmicks.

Below is an extract of what was sent to NCL clubs at the start of this year. Directives to Referees of what they should concentrate on this year:

"PLAY THE BALL

Get Players to PTB with their foot or make a motion towards the ball

Step overs throwing the ball between their legs to be penalised.

Preventative Refereeing – Speak to a player warn him first then take action if it is repeated!"

This was sent by Ben Thaler

Below is an extract of what was sent to NCL clubs at the start of this year. Directives to Referees of what they should concentrate on this year:

"PLAY THE BALL

Get Players to PTB with their foot or make a motion towards the ball

Step overs throwing the ball between their legs to be penalised.

Preventative Refereeing – Speak to a player warn him first then take action if it is repeated!"

This was sent by Ben Thaler

The one SL player who consistently plays the ball correctly (ie with the sole of the boot) is Anthony Gelling.  I don't see his adherence to the law being a noticeable disadvantage to Wigan.  If he can do it 'properly', why can't everybody else be expected to do likewise?  Just enforce the law, rather than some interpretation of it!

Bobbruce is spot on; it is crazy to put northern hemisphere sides at a disadvantage come the internationals!

Mayfield v Pilk Recs last Sat produced a shedload of penaltys against Mayfield for not playing the ball to the letter of the law.And slightly less against Pilks.It infuriated the crowd After a sin bin Field got the message 22-22 final score.

Linesmen add nothing but Touch Judges currently add a lot. Only 2 sometimes 3 games per week are on TV and in all games the TJ assists in numerous ways

In TV games there are no In Goal Judges. These are the ones who are replaced by the VR

The perceived standard is down to Ganson. He is the one who needs to sort things out but was in my opinion completely the wrong person for the job

Linesmen add nothing but Touch Judges currently add a lot. Only 2 sometimes 3 games per week are on TV and in all games the TJ assists in numerous ways

In TV games there are no In Goal Judges. These are the ones who are replaced by the VR

Ok, apologies for naming linesmen instead of touch judges.

In my opinion, touch judges do not commit enough and provide the referee with a definitive answer. Either way, the referee still goes to the VR. Probably due to pressure from above and club coaches.

You say the VR replaces touch in goal touch judges. Do VR officials have nothing to do with making decisions on being in touch, only touch in goal? Clarify.

You seem to have issues with Ganson. Who would you put in his place who would do a better job?

Ok, apologies for naming linesmen instead of touch judges.

In my opinion, touch judges do not commit enough and provide the referee with a definitive answer. Either way, the referee still goes to the VR. Probably due to pressure from above and club coaches.

You say the VR replaces touch in goal touch judges. Do VR officials have nothing to do with making decisions on being in touch, only touch in goal? Clarify.

You seem to have issues with Ganson. Who would you put in his place who would do a better job?

TJ do commit on the touch calls as you can regularly see on TV games. On grounding they can only advise and yes refs do go to the VR for all the reasons I've previously stated on numerous other discussions.

VR can only opine on certain types of decision and can't call on general touch calls. Touch In Goal officials can also call a touch if it is in a try scoring scenario and can report foul play at any time

Most people have issues with Ganson. Do you think he is good at his job? The one that got away was Smith when he went to and then stayed in Australia. Anyone with a backbone and decent man management skills would go a better job than the current incumbent but that is my opinion albeit from an informed position about both of them

TJ do commit on the touch calls as you can regularly see on TV games. On grounding they can only advise and yes refs do go to the VR for all the reasons I've previously stated on numerous other discussions.

VR can only opine on certain types of decision and can't call on general touch calls. Touch In Goal officials can also call a touch if it is in a try scoring scenario and can report foul play at any time

Most people have issues with Ganson. Do you think he is good at his job? The one that got away was Smith when he went to and then stayed in Australia. Anyone with a backbone and decent man management skills would go a better job than the current incumbent but that is my opinion albeit from an informed position about both of them

Beg to differ on your comments versus actual events. Touchies need to be more bullish in their approach IMO.

You've obviously got issues and the comments about 'most people', Ganson and Smith from your 'informed position' just washes over me.

TJs' biggest problem on tries is that if the scorer has a couple of defenders on or around him, the TJ can't see the ball. Same story with the big dive into the corner. Sometimes there's 1/30th of a second between grounding and the winger's foot touching the line or outside the field of play. Also, if the winger's body is in the air, it's obscuring the grounding.

I'm more disappointed in the TJs not calling more forward passes.

TJs' biggest problem on tries is that if the scorer has a couple of defenders on or around him, the TJ can't see the ball. Same story with the big dive into the corner. Sometimes there's 1/30th of a second between grounding and the winger's foot touching the line or outside the field of play. Also, if the winger's body is in the air, it's obscuring the grounding.

I'm more disappointed in the TJs not calling more forward passes.

Agree with that. In none televised games the TJ's are more or less guessing for some tries. Especially now with the corner flag being taken out of the equation. With all these outlandish dives by wingers it makes the TJ's job very hard indeed - I certainly wouldn't want to make a judgement

Beg to differ on your comments versus actual events. Touchies need to be more bullish in their approach IMO.

You've obviously got issues and the comments about 'most people', Ganson and Smith from your 'informed position' just washes over me.

You are entitled to your own opinion on Touch Judges but you aren't seeing what is actually happening.

I've not got any issues. I have opinion, that is shared, about Ganson. Do you think that he is doing a good job? Do you think that he is the correct person for the job? What is your basis for your view

I named Smith as an alternative based on my knowledge and having met both of them on a number of occasions so not just a random name

The only person who seems to have issues is you based on some of your posts

Archived