Golden Point

First of all let me state that as a neutral I loved the tension, emotion and drama of the Million Pound Game.

My one gripe (sorry) is that the match was decided by Golden Point. Both teams gave everything over 80 minutes, Salford win the coin toss and Hull KR dont touch the ball again.

I would have much preferred the 10 minutes of extra time the Aussies have used in the NRL finals this year. It promotes teams looking to play rugby rather than creating a drop goal-a-thon and at least gives both teams a fair use of the ball to determine the outcome of the game.

Anyway, congratulations to Salford and I'm sure KR can bounce back quickly.

"Rugby League is rugby in the simplest form in the sense that it's about great defence, great tackling technique, good handling, good passing, catching and great kicking."

Stuart Lancaster - England Rugby Union Head Coach - October 2013

To be fair it was brave of Salford to choose to receive the ball. Any error in their own half would have been potentially game over.

Also at the start Hull KR had control of whether to be positive and go for a short kick off or go deep and contain Salford out of range.

To be fair it was brave of Salford to choose to receive the ball. Any error in their own half would have been potentially game over.

Also at the start Hull KR had control of whether to be positive and go for a short kick off or go deep and contain Salford out of range.

I agree it was brave by Salford. In last years NRL Grand Final Ben Hunt dropped the kick off in Extra Time which gave Thurston the opportunity to drop the goal for the Cowboys.

I believe the NRL changed the rules for the finals to be 10 minutes ET rather than Golden Point after Wayne Bennett had a bit of a whinge.

From what I have heard and read the Aussies feel it is a lot fairer method to decide a game and there is talk of bringing it in for regular season games or scrapping Golden Point altogether and reverting back to the good old fashioned draw.

"Rugby League is rugby in the simplest form in the sense that it's about great defence, great tackling technique, good handling, good passing, catching and great kicking."

Stuart Lancaster - England Rugby Union Head Coach - October 2013

I wouldn't have a problem with adding a 2x 5 minute period of extra time before golden point and/or golden point played to mirror the current NFL set-up where if the first possession results in a minor score that the opposition gets the chance to receive an score a touchdown (i.e. for our purposes if the team A scores a drop goal on their first possession then team B gets a possession to equal or better that) - after a first possession each I believe it's next score wins.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I think the NRL have got it right with their current arrangement.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I wouldn't have a problem with adding a 2x 5 minute period of extra time before golden point and/or golden point played to mirror the current NFL set-up where if the first possession results in a minor score that the opposition gets the chance to receive an score a touchdown (i.e. for our purposes if the team A scores a drop goal on their first possession then team B gets a possession to equal or better that) - after a first possession each I believe it's next score wins.

But following that format you would be changing a key part of the game: the team that scores receives the ball.

But following that format you would be changing a key part of the game: the team that scores receives the ball.

Aye. But golden point is already a distortion so I could cope with that.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Yep I agree its a distortion.  Seems unfair that the other team doesn't have a opportunity too.  That is even footie each team has same number of penalties.

So for me its added time, followed by a something like each team playing a sort of attack and defence game (number of players in each team reduced).... that is each team has a number of drop goal opportunities with both teams reversing roles - say each get a number of attempts, first one team then another.... best of x3 and if still equal then one after the other until one misses.

Anyway something similar

I think the NRL have got it right with their current arrangement.

Don't the NRL have golden point. It's just in the play offs they have extra time. I'll say it again RL is perfectly suited to silver point it would be perfect. It didn't work in football because if you scored you could sit back and defend your lead you couldn't do that in RL.

Aye. But golden point is already a distortion so I could cope with that.

Golden point just straightens the strategy, but not the rules. In the end, most extra time formats are criticized:

College Football: mickey mouse format that gives the second team an advantage

Soccer: teams playing it safe and waiting for penalties

Baseball: Can be too long

RL: Golden point changes the strategy

The NFL recently changed their OT format from first to score wins to first to score a touchdown wins. I'm not sure how its been received as I don't watch it, but would a golden try would be a good method?

To be fair if both teams had been level with 5 (maybe even 10) minutes to go we would probably have seen "golden point" drop goal attempts during normal time anyway.

Fundamentally it shows that a drop goal is the easiest way to get a point in RL in open play.

I both marvelled at the drop kick kick but was sickened by the suddeness of the ending.

If O'Brien kicked that drop kick at any point in a 10 minute extra time period then I believe both sets of fans would not have invaded the pitch.

The instant euphoria and anger is not conducive to our game.

Yep I agree its a distortion. Seems unfair that the other team doesn't have a opportunity too. That is even footie each team has same number of penalties.

So for me its added time, followed by a something like each team playing a sort of attack and defence game (number of players in each team reduced).... that is each team has a number of drop goal opportunities with both teams reversing roles - say each get a number of attempts, first one team then another.... best of x3 and if still equal then one after the other until one misses.

Anyway something similar

The other team has just had 80 mins of opportunities.

Golden point just straightens the strategy, but not the rules. In the end, most extra time formats are criticized:

College Football: mickey mouse format that gives the second team an advantage

Soccer: teams playing it safe and waiting for penalties

Baseball: Can be too long

RL: Golden point changes the strategy

The NFL recently changed their OT format from first to score wins to first to score a touchdown wins. I'm not sure how its been received as I don't watch it, but would a golden try would be a good method?

The NFL guarantees each team a possession unless someone scores a touchdown on the first drive (I think).

Baseball and NBA keep on going. I think ice hockey has OT then penalties (usually).

Soccer had golden (and then silver) goal for a while.  Long gone now though as it become ultra defensive very quickly.

The NFL guarantees each team a possession unless someone scores a touchdown on the first drive (I think).

Baseball and NBA keep on going. I think ice hockey has OT then penalties (usually).

Soccer had golden (and then silver) goal for a while.  Long gone now though as it become ultra defensive very quickly.

All sport is, by definition, contrived, so I don't have a particular problem with the golden point.  You are right, gingerjon, ice hockey does indeed have overtime, but it is 'sudden death'; in other words, the first goal wins (a la golden point in RL)  If overtime produces no winner, yes, it is penalty shots.  You might equally ask whether this is a good way to decide the outcome, after 70 minutes of hard graft in open play all over the ice.

As I recall on Saturday, Hull KR chose to kick off deep to near the Salford line.  They could have opted for a kick of just over 10 metres and contested it, but chose not to.  That was their choice; they must live by the consequences!

Of course, you could say that the MPG is too important for any type of 'added' time.  We could be really reactionary and propose - whisper it softly - a replay!  ​However, in this country, TV paymasters have determined that such things are not easily accommodated (and hence cannot be allowed).  Meanwhile, there is a neurotic dislike of draws in North American sport, so that even the National Hockey League gave up on them many seasons ago, and, like baseball, plays every routine league game to a winner-loser conclusion.  The only sports I can think of, with large spectator followings, which allow replays in knock-out competitions including in the final are gaelic football and hurling.  Perhaps this reflects the fact that the GAA feels it can dictate to TV, and not vice versa!

As it is the last game of the season why contrive a finish. Entertain the fans and get the added revenue from a replay...in this case at Salford.

Team that scores most in 80 minutes...a novel idea. If TV want it let them accommodate it...we do have Thursday and Friday nights and Saturday afternoon or Sunday as an option.

May never be needed again but go on give it a go!

I agree Steve. Salford deserved a replay at their ground. What a great build up we could have had and Sky would probably have shown the game. If they chose not to then IMHO it is not a great loss as the game would retain some integrity in letting teams determine their fate over 80 minutes and not let it degenerate into a drop-goal-a-thon.

Anyone who has ever followed a team that has been relegated, for me Cas and LUFC, knows how devasting relegation over a regular season feels. Being relegated to a Golden Point justs rubs more salt into the wound.

P.S. Who on here would honestly still agree with Golden Point if their team was relegated in this fashion?

I agree Steve. Salford deserved a replay at their ground. What a great build up we could have had and Sky would probably have shown the game. If they chose not to then IMHO it is not a great loss as the game would retain some integrity in letting teams determine their fate over 80 minutes and not let it degenerate into a drop-goal-a-thon.

Anyone who has ever followed a team that has been relegated, for me Cas and LUFC, knows how devasting relegation over a regular season feels. Being relegated to a Golden Point justs rubs more salt into the wound.

P.S. Who on here would honestly still agree with Golden Point if their team was relegated in this fashion?

So essentially losing a match via a field goal after 80 is unjust, but kick a field goal at 79:59 its ok?

Well, yeah as it happens during a full game. Hard to take but that's life.

But to lose a coin toss which allows the other team to essentially have a free shot at goal is just extra painful.

At some major sporting events Including the football WC thsee decisions can be decided purely by a coin toss.

I both marvelled at the drop kick kick but was sickened by the suddeness of the ending.

If O'Brien kicked that drop kick at any point in a 10 minute extra time period then I believe both sets of fans would not have invaded the pitch.

The instant euphoria and anger is not conducive to our game.

Didn't they invade the pitch after the equalising try?

Check out upcoming international fixtures and highlights of past matches at http://rlfixtures.weebly.com

St Albans Centurions International Liaison Officer and former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

Archived