What Wembley means to the Aussies

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2010/aug/2...us-leeds-rhinos

Good article from Andy Wilson.

I think this shows that the Challenge Cup Final is still the biggest event in the RL year in that people tune in from all over the world and especially in Australia where players have fond memories of watching it when they were kids.

Bigger than the SL and NRL Grand Final.

Bow locks. Everyone in the universe knows that SoO is and always will be forever and ever the biggest game in rugby league history.

In two States in Australia yes it is the biggest game/series. But in terms of worldwide appeal the Challenge Cup is still NO.1.

Its the one match that every Aussie who dreams of playing in England wants to play in.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2010/aug/2...us-leeds-rhinos

Good article from Andy Wilson.

I think this shows that the Challenge Cup Final is still the biggest event in the RL year in that people tune in from all over the world and especially in Australia where players have fond memories of watching it when they were kids.

Bigger than the SL and NRL Grand Final.

I think the final will always get the coverage it deserves but unfortunately i think the earlier rounds needs some life injecting into them, something to get the supporters of all clubs excited again. personally i dont think the bbc helps much in the earlier rounds just picking all super league clashes. i think the magic of cup rugby is the chance of the underdog causing a upset (far and few between these days i know)

l am on holiday from Australia and have got tickets for the final and going to the game with the Blackpool supporters,can't wait to see the new stadium .

I will be cheering for the Wolves because it is the club of our favourite ex Rooster Adrian Morley.

Today l am off to see the Rochdale Hornets take on the mighty Panthers with the Panthers casuals 'The inner Fylde Firm', :D never been to Rochdale before so looking forward to that a well.

I can speak Esperanto like a native.

How much coverage does it get in Australia?

When there were a lot of top notch Aussies playing in England when the seasons were opposite I think there was some keen interest, not nowadays.

Was it 1983? when Wigan played Hull FC and there were several Test Ozzy players in either side, that game in that era saw some interest.

It would be a snippet in the newspaper

They show one Super League match each week at 12:30 am Monday morning so I don't see how many Aussies would have much idea about the game or enthusiasm to stay up in the middle of the night to watch two teams they know ###### all about.

In two States in Australia yes it is the biggest game/series. But in terms of worldwide appeal the Challenge Cup is still NO.1.

Its the one match that every Aussie who dreams of playing in England wants to play in.

In which Countries?

All 178 Australians that get up to watch it would agree I guess.

:rolleyes:

How much coverage does it get in Australia?

When there were a lot of top notch Aussies playing in England when the seasons were opposite I think there was some keen interest, not nowadays.

Was it 1983? when Wigan played Hull FC and there were several Test Ozzy players in either side, that game in that era saw some interest.

It would be a snippet in the newspaper

They show one Super League match each week at 12:30 am Monday morning so I don't see how many Aussies would have much idea about the game or enthusiasm to stay up in the middle of the night to watch two teams they know ###### all about.

It was 1985 & it was arguably the best two half backs from Aus, Brett Kenny (Wigan) & Peter Sterling (Hull) up against each other in a classic game rated by many as the best ever CC final.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

In which Countries?

All 178 Australians that get up to watch it would agree I guess.

rugby league must have the highest percentage of miserable barstewards of any sport anywhere. as a relative newbie its gets depressnig i can tell you.

PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/article/8790/join-team-wales-for-2013

Predictions for the future -

Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG

Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT

Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG

Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/

http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!

http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

It was 1985 & it was arguably the best two half backs from Aus, Brett Kenny (Wigan) & Peter Sterling (Hull) up against each other in a classic game rated by many as the best ever CC final.

That is the one.

That game was a classic

I always get (stay) up to watch it and no doubt there are a few other keen folk around the country who do too. I think the best chance of a wider audeince seeing it is if it is in pubs and clubs after the NRL on Saturday night. But realistically it's not exactly on most people's radar, not even 99% of RL fans'. I'd say more Brits would watch SOO.

rugby league must have the highest percentage of miserable barstewards of any sport anywhere. as a relative newbie its gets depressnig i can tell you.

The fact is English Rugby League is not promoted well in Australia.

When one of the free to air channels got the Super league game rights it was promoted as a big deal with 2 games every Sunday Afternoon, it lasted about 6 weeks and was cut to what it is now 12:30 am

Not even the WCC gets much coverage or a prime time replay

Any idea how the CC rates on TV in Oz? If it got more than 10k I would be really surprised.

I always get (stay) up to watch it and no doubt there are a few other keen folk around the country who do too. I think the best chance of a wider audeince seeing it is if it is in pubs and clubs after the NRL on Saturday night. But realistically it's not exactly on most people's radar, not even 99% of RL fans'. I'd say more Brits would watch SOO.

But then you would, wouldn't you?

Arrogant B@stard.

Not only do you presume to speak on behalf of all Australians, you now feel fit to spout forth on behalf of the British as well.

You really do need to get a room with yourself, and self pleasure yourself to death.

Arrogant B@stard.

Not only do you presume to speak on behalf of all Australians, you now feel fit to spout forth on behalf of the British as well.

You really do need to get a room with yourself, and self pleasure yourself to death.

It's a fair assumption to make. There's more interest for SOO on here, even despite banning Aussie content on this forum, than there is CC final talk on LU, and there's far more people on LU than on here. I'm in a far better position to talk about what Australian people do than a xenophobic who wouldn't even have the guts to step foot on Australian soil. And once again a post that mentions male mastubation, like 99% of your posts. It really must be a fixation of yours.

It's a fair assumption to make. There's more interest for SOO on here, even despite banning Aussie content on this forum, than there is CC final talk on LU, and there's far more people on LU than on here. I'm in a far better position to talk about what Australian people do than a xenophobic who wouldn't even have the guts to step foot on Australian soil. And once again a post that mentions male mastubation, like 99% of your posts. It really must be a fixation of yours.

You are in no position to judge the viewing choices of the British rugby league watching public, but you are arrogant enough to think that you are.

Your assumption that the views of people on here are the sum total of those of the the RL public of GB is evidence enough of your small backwater mentality.

Why would it take guts to step on Australian soil? How do you know I haven't already? How do you know I'm not sat in a bedsit on Bondi right at this very minute?

However, if all Australians are as arrogant as you, I can't think of one reason why I would want to go there.

I might be wrong here, but I just have the funny feeling that the original posters opinion of the Challenge Cup may be ever slightly distorted by the fact that he's a fan of a team who are about to appear in the CC Final for the second year in a row. My apologies if I've got this wrong, but it would be interesting to know what his opinion would be if Warrington got knocked out in the 4th round every year.

Arrogant B@stard.

no need for that language, hes spot on

Channel nine arent even showing the CC final live.

You are in no position to judge the viewing choices of the British rugby league watching public, but you are arrogant enough to think that you are.

Your assumption that the views of people on here are the sum total of those of the the RL public of GB is evidence enough of your small backwater mentality.

Why would it take guts to step on Australian soil? How do you know I haven't already? How do you know I'm not sat in a bedsit on Bondi right at this very minute?

However, if all Australians are as arrogant as you, I can't think of one reason why I would want to go there.

Well you clearly hate anyone not British based on your comments on here so it's hardly surprising you wouldn't want to leave Britain. Or maybe I should say English because no doubt you can't stand those horrible Scots or Welsh too. But don't worry, we don't want you here either. We've got enough toothless, pasty, unwashed, whinging poms clogging up Bondi. If you want to think more Aussies watch the CC final than poms watch SOO, you believe whatever you want. The only thing less respected or less significant to Australian people than British RL is the opinions of farquits like you.

That doesn't surprise me. I was over in Sydney last August and they were showing SL matches late on a Sunday night - do they still show them?

I remember talking to a St George supporting taxi driver on the way to the airport, and he thought Huddersfield had qualified for the GF. He said he'd read somthing about it in the paper, ex-St George man Nathan Brown being coach. Apart from that he didn't seem to know much about it.

no need for that language, hes spot on

Newsflash Walt, we don't give a ######!!

Why should we care what a couple of hundred thousand people, 10,000 miles away think of our game?

IF you don't want to watch it, then don't watch it. It's simple really.

Well you clearly hate anyone not British based on your comments on here so it's hardly surprising you wouldn't want to leave Britain. Or maybe I should say English because no doubt you can't stand those horrible Scots or Welsh too. But don't worry, we don't want you here either. We've got enough toothless, pasty, unwashed, whinging poms clogging up Bondi. If you want to think more Aussies watch the CC final than poms watch SOO, you believe whatever you want. The only thing less respected or less significant to Australian people than British RL is the opinions of farquits like you.

Who cares what Australians think?

Hardly a big player on the world stage, are you?

That doesn't surprise me. I was over in Sydney last August and they were showing SL matches late on a Sunday night - do they still show them?

I remember talking to a St George supporting taxi driver on the way to the airport, and he thought Huddersfield had qualified for the GF. He said he'd read somthing about it in the paper, ex-St George man Nathan Brown being coach. Apart from that he didn't seem to know much about it.

yeah SL games are shown at 12.30 in the morning, ill watch a bit of it tonight

aussie recognition of the english game is improving though with players like burgess showing how good they are and the aussie media picking up on it

its still got a long way to go though

The fact is English Rugby League is not promoted well in Australia.

When one of the free to air channels got the Super league game rights it was promoted as a big deal with 2 games every Sunday Afternoon, it lasted about 6 weeks and was cut to what it is now 12:30 am

Not even the WCC gets much coverage or a prime time replay

Any idea how the CC rates on TV in Oz? If it got more than 10k I would be really surprised.

you may or may not have a point although you seem to be guessing as much as anything. its the instant negativity on any thread that even dares to paint any part of our game in a positive light. over and over again and its always league fans! I'm telling you it comes across really badly, not as you will ne doubt reply as people just speaking their minds yadda yadda but whiny and negative. We slag off rightly wilson for being a miserable old get but he writes something nice and here we are again, let alone undoubtedly negative comments on his blog which i have stopped reading because of the predictable moan moan bloody moan

cheer up you northern buggers, its a great game!

PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/article/8790/join-team-wales-for-2013

Predictions for the future -

Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG

Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT

Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG

Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/

http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!

http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx