Brit RLers in OZ/NZ 2015

If you know any other Brits playing lower tier or bush leagues, let me know and I'll include them.

Ollie Olds at Souths Logan Magpies.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ROUND 9

- James Graham ......still another week to go

- Souths, start with George at prop and Tom in 13. replacing Glen Stewart who has an injured thumb.

- Luke Burgess starting prop for Manly

- Gareth Widdop partners Benji Marshall in the halves for St Geo-Illawarra,

- Mike Cooper comes up against the Burgess twins this week as the Bunnies host St George

- Jack Reed at left centre for the Broncos

- Sam Tomkins should return from injury next week

- Josh Hodgson starting hooker for the Raiders, continuing his excellent season, although Kurt Baptiste, coming off the bench as dummy half has been having some real impact in recent weeks.

QLD CUP

- Greg Eden is on the wing for Wynnum Manly, in the Qld Cup

- Dean McGilvray keeps his spot in the centres for the Pride, forcing........

- Luke George onto the wing. Good week for both players as the Pride head to PNG to play the Hunters in Kokopo.

- Olsi Krasniqi keeps his bench spot for Wynnum Manly Seagulls

- former Welsh rep Ian Webster move to the centres for the Central Capras

-Jon Platt starts at prop for the Sunshine Coast Falcons.

- Oliver Olds 7 for Souths Logan Magpies

NSW CUP

- Ben Crooks moves to the wing for Wentworthville Magpies in NSW Cup

BRISBANE RUGBY LEAGUE

- Bobbie Goulding Jr not listed this week for Gaters

- strange?!?!? Ollie Olds is also listed at 7 for the Normanby Hounds

MACKAY AND DISTRICT RL

- Nick Powley (Hull Dockers) and Dave Wilson (Holderness Vikings) West Mackay Magpies seem to have a bye this week.

- Curtis Cunningham (Cardiff Demons) centre for reserve grade at Mackay Souths Sharks

TIM ROBY

- Touch judge for the Raiders v Titans game in Canberra on Saturday so watch out for him on TV

Dan Kerr, from Ipswich Rhinos, apparently joined Burleigh Bears in 2013 then signed with the Newcastle Knights NSW Cup team in 2014. He is shown on the current Burleigh Bears Players Roster but I can't find him listed in any teams.

From Cumbria to Cooma

Two rugby league players are swapping freezing Furness for the milder climes of Australia this winter to test their skills on the other side of the planet.

Gareth Knowles and his Ulverston team-mate Liam Saunders will be following in the footsteps of several other South Cumbrian players who have turned out for Cooma Stallions down the years.

The close association between the New South Wales club and Barrow rugby league circles began back in 1983 when former Craven Park scrum half Charlie Elkin - who had since emigrated to Australia - took over as first team coach at Cooma.

Then, on Elkin's recommendation, two Stallions players - Craig Schofield and Mark Weston - headed over to Barrow for the 1984 season.

They befriended Dane Carter while playing for Barrow A-team, and Carter took them up on the offer of sampling rugby league Down Under.

This was in the days of English winter rugby, when the two nations' seasons were played at different times of the year, and Carter spent the 1984 campaign with Cooma and helped them win the title for the first time.

A strong bond had been formed, and several other players have since packed their boots and made the long journey - either to the north west of England or Australia's east coast.

In 1991 Carter's brother Glen and Walney Cents player Paul Henderson turned out for Cooma, and Henderson has played a leading role in keeping the links alive.

The long-serving Cents player got back in touch with friends at Cooma through Facebook a few years back, and more players have headed in either direction since.

Askam pair Tom Holmes and Sam Dowsett represented the Stallions in the Country Rugby League Group 16 competition in 2013, and Dowsett is still living and playing rugby in Oz.

And now hooker/prop Knowles and fellow Ulverston packman Saunders are set to wear the Cooma jersey.

Explaining the historic association between Cooma and the Barrow area, Schofield - who is now the Stallions' club president - said: "The link between Barrow and Cooma goes back to 1983, but the link with English players first came about in 1977.

"The Stallions employed a player by the name of Tony Miller who in my recollection came from Warrington.

"This was a successful year as the team made the Grand Final. Then in 1983 the club was able to get in contact with a guy by the name of Charlie Elkin. He is from Barrow and was coach for the Stallions in 1983 season. It was then that Charlie recommended I should give the English league a go.

"I left after our season in ‘83 and spent four months playing for Barrow in their 1984 season, along with another guy, Mark Weston.

"It was a very enjoyable time and we stayed with Charlie's parents. We met Dane Carter who indicated he would be interested in having a season with the Stallions in 1984.

"This was organised, and with Dane's help we were able to take out the 1984 championship - this was a first for the Stallions.

"Since then we have sent players to Barrow and we have had a number of players come to Cooma for a season or two with the Stallions. Players like Dean Lynch (who is now our local mayor) Colin Shingles, Mark Kaufline, Bernie Shaw, Paddy McDonald and recently Mitch Simpson, to name a few, all played in Barrow with local amateur teams.

Dan Kerr, from Ipswich Rhinos, apparently joined Burleigh Bears in 2013 then signed with the Newcastle Knights NSW Cup team in 2014. He is shown on the current Burleigh Bears Players Roster but I can't find him listed in any teams.

Looks like he's a regular for the Knights NSW Cup team. He was the starting number 7 for the first few weeks, and since then has come on from the bench, as he does for this weeks game against Norths. 

http://www.newcastleknights.com.au/news/2015/05/05/nyc_and_nsw_cup_roun.html

Edit - Not sure if this Danny Kerr is the same one, as I found a video interview with him and he doesn't sound very English at all. 

I wonder why the Knights don't have him listed on their Player Profiles (and the Burleigh Bears do). The information superhighway is just like a real highway - it doesn't matter how good the roads are if you have the same poor quality of drivers. I'm regularly frustrated by how poorly RL clubs use the internet.

Completely agree with Farmduck regrads the net. It's a fabulous resource, but only as good as the people who run the websites. 

Regards Dan/Danny Kerr, I'm pretty certain these are 2 different blokes. There is a Danny Kerr who played for Burleigh, then Lakes United and now the Knights NSW Cup team. He played junior rep football on the Sunshine Coast in 2006/7:-

http://www.footyfortress.com/Player-Profile/Profiles/PlayerProfile77.html

http://www.sportingpulse.com/assoc_page.cgi?c=0-2256-0-0-0&sID=29736&articleID=2444993&news_task=DETAIL

Dan Kerr (I think) played for Burleigh last year, and in 2007/8 was playing for the Ipswich Rhinos :-

http://www.qrl.com.au/news/2014/06/16/bears_take_outright_lead.html

http://www.qrl.com.au/intrust-super-cup/bears-headshots/dan_kerr.html

Where Dan Kerr is now, I've no idea. Hope that helps...  :blink:

Power Ranking the NRL hookers

5) Josh Hodgson

The Englishman was a bit of an unknown commodity when he signed with Canberra in the middle part of last seasons and despite making his Test debut in the Four Nations and smashing into a door after England were eliminated, Raiders fans weren’t sure what to expect from the former Hull KR skipper. But Ricky Stuart has landed a good’un, with Hodgson proving to be the best and most consistent dummy half player the Raiders have had since Simon Woolford. Despite splitting time with Glenn Buttriss, Josh McCrone and lately the impressive Kurt Baptiste, Hodgson has quickly emerged as one of the most underrated players in the competition. A skilful competitor with great ball-playing abilities and a good kicking game, Hodgson provides the Raiders with outstanding service from dummy half and has already begun to form a strong combination with five-eighth Blake Austin. Three line break assists and two try assists from eight games show his attacking potency and before the emergence of Baptiste the Raiders suffered dearly whenever the 35-year old left the field.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/power-ranking-the-nrl-hookers-granville-on-the-rise-ennis-turns-back-the-clock/story-fndv2us0-1227338590447

They got his age wrong by 10 years, and also his ranking wrong by probably 2 places (I have him in top 3 of this season), but it's good recognition. He's been flying under the radar big time, which I personally don't mind. Almost all other Raiders recruits have been getting a lot more praise in the media so far. Mostly Austin, who is maybe our 3rd or 4th best performing recruit, where as Hodgo is our best. Sterlo brought up some positive video of his passing a few weeks ago on 360 and Gasnier agreed. That's been about it.

Oh, and Hodgo just needs to keep up his form and he will comfortably surpass Woolford, meaning he'll be our best since Steve Walters.

Definitely Dan and Danny are 2 different people but I think Ipswich Rhino Kerr went to Burleigh then to Lakes United (in the Newcastle district league) then into the Knights NSW Cup. At the Knights he would be on a pay-for-play deal and when they don't need him he would drop back to Lakes Untied.

The other indigenous Kerr, about 5 years younger, seems to have gone nowhere.

ROUND 10

and the big news is........

510733-5245870c-f9c7-11e4-9416-e181221d5

- James Graham ......the return of the Scouse Ranga - is it just a coincidence that the new Mad Max movie also opened in Sydney this week?

- Souths, start with George at prop and Tom on the bench.

- Mike Cooper seems to be a permanent starter for St George now. I think this gives them more beef to kick off the game. I rate De Belin highly but he always seems rather scrawny for a prop (in fact, he is only 1kg lighter than Cooper)

- Jack Reed at left centre for the Broncos

- Sam Tomkins still not back

- Josh Hodgson starting hooker for the Raiders

QLD CUP

- Greg Eden is on the wing for Wynnum Manly. He might finally see some NRL next week with the QLD Origin team to be named on Tuesday.

- Dean McGilvray and Luke George get the week off as the Northern Pride have a bye. George scored 2 tries against the Hunters in PNG last week but the Pride went down 36-16

- Olsi Krasniqi keeps his bench spot for Wynnum Manly Seagulls who currently sit 2nd on the Q Cup ladder

- Ian Webster moves back to the halves for the Central Capras

- Jon Platt starts at prop for the Sunshine Coast Falcons.

NSW CUP

- Ben Crooks moves to the centre for Wentworthville Magpies in NSW Cup. I don't like his chances of seeing any NRL. This week U20s FB Bevan French makes his NSW Cup debut so Parra are probably going to give him a few runs on the wing in NRL at some stage this season if he goes OK for Wenty

BRISBANE RUGBY LEAGUE

BRL has a week off as some QRL  are played. Also this weekend, the National U15s and U18s Finals, surprisingly, both between the Townsville Stingers and the Cronulla Sharks.

- Bobbie Goulding Jr

- Ollie Olds ended up playing for the Normanby Hounds last week after being listed for Souths Logan in Q Cup as well.

MACKAY AND DISTRICT RL

- Nick Powley (Hull Dockers) and Dave Wilson (Holderness Vikings) West Mackay Magpies

- Curtis Cunningham (Cardiff Demons)  Mackay Souths Sharks

Split round this week and I couldn't find the teams any way

TIM ROBY

- Touch judge for the Knights v Tigers game on Sunday so watch out for him on TV

Dan Kerr, from Ipswich Rhinos, still an International Man of Mystery. Burleigh Bears have a bye this week and he's not named in the Newcastle NSW Cup team.

And here's a piece about Alex Clare from St Helens from the start of this year:

http://www.dailymercury.com.au/news/signings-boost-for-brahmans/2448720/

The first of those signings is 21-year-old Alex Clare, who has spent the past couple of seasons in St Helens' A-grade squad.

He was caught at a crossroads when his contract expired this year, and Blackwood was more than happy to put his hand out and give the young wonder a chance in Australia.

"The problem with the competition in England nowadays is once you're over the age of 20 and you're not in the A-grade team, there's not another competition," Blackwood said.

"He was actually in the A-grade squad for two years ... but he's 21 now so he can't play in the under-20s and he wasn't playing A-grade."

Clare turned professional at 16, the year he joined the St Helens Academy.

Blackwood said he hadn't seen much of Clare, but received some good feedback from English connections.

"He comes with big wraps from St Helens," Blackwood said. "He was in talks with a few other clubs and had some Q Cup interest as well but he wanted to come to the Whitsunday Brahmans and give it a go and maybe push for the Q Cup.

• 2 weeks later...

ROUND 12

Yes I know I missed last week. I think I slept through most of the week, trying to kid myself that the selection of Mitchell Pearce in the Blues team was just a bad dream. Anyhoo........

- James Graham ......a late withdrawal last week, he gets another week off as the Dogs have a bye

- Souths, reverse the usual pattern and start with Tom at prop and George on the bench.

- Mike Cooper starting prop for St George

- Jack Reed at left centre for the Broncos after one of his best games against the Knights

- Sam Tomkins finally returns for the Warriors forcing Tuimoala Lolohea into the centres to cover for the suspended Konrad Hurrell

QLD CUP

- Greg Eden is on the wing for Wynnum Manly.

- Dean McGilvray and Luke George named at centre for the Northern Pride. Dean McGilvray not named. I'm not sure which team feeds into the Pride.

- Olsi Krasniqi keeps his bench spot for Wynnum Manly Seagulls who currently sit 2nd on the Q Cup ladder

- Ian Webster moves back to the halves for the Central Capras

- Jon Platt not named this week for the Sunshine Coast Falcons.

NSW CUP

- Ben Crooks gets a week off as Wentworthville Magpies have a bye.

BRISBANE RUGBY LEAGUE

BRL teams not out yet

- Bobbie Goulding Jr

- Ollie Olds

MACKAY AND DISTRICT RL

- Nick Powley (Hull Dockers) and Dave Wilson (Holderness Vikings) West Mackay Magpies

Split round this week and I couldn't find the teams any way

TIM ROBY

- Touch judge for the Roosters v Storm Holden Cup U20s game Monday

Dan Kerr, from Ipswich Rhinos, named in the Newcastle NSW Cup team. One day I'll email the Knights to check if this is the English Dan Kerr or the Qld aboriginal Dan Kerr.

Dan Kerr, from Ipswich Rhinos, named in the Newcastle NSW Cup team. One day I'll email the Knights to check if this is the English Dan Kerr or the Qld aboriginal Dan Kerr.

http://www.newcastleknights.com.au/news/2015/03/10/in_the_sheds_nsw_cup.html

I found this video which has an interview with the Newcastle Danny Kerr (last one interviewed at about 2:00). I guess he might have picked up the accent if he's been over in Aus for a few years, but even so, he doesn't sound very English  :)

OK, Dan Kerr is now officially off the list. Meanwhile,

Brisbane Rugby League

- Ollie Olds named at 7 for the Normanby Hounds

- Bobbie Goulding Jr named at 6 for the Gaters

Also good to see one of my favourite names still playing for West Brisbane Panthers in the BRL. Kristian Wanka lines up in the back row. I was so hoping Wanka would make it to NRL.

Dunno. I used to work at a dole office with quite a few Vietnamese customers. I wish some of those had gone on to public fame - Hung Long, Phuc Dat and a few others.

ROUND 13

- James Graham should be very fresh after a suspension, an injury, one game where he left early with concussion and a bye. Starts this week against fellow Englishperson Mike Cooper

- Souths, continue last week's selection and start with Tom at prop and George on the bench.

- Mike Cooper starting prop for St George

- Jack Reed as always, at left centre for the Broncos

- Sam Tomkins blew away some rust last week and needs to be at his best this week against Souths in Perth

QLD CUP

- Greg Eden is on the wing for Wynnum Manly.

- Luke George named on the wing for the Northern Pride. Dean McGilvray not named.

- Olsi Krasniqi multi-tasking this week. He has supposedly returned to England to play with Salford but also keeps keeps his bench spot for Wynnum Manly Seagulls on Sunday,

- Ian Webster moves to lock for the Central Capras. I think they just hand out the jumpers and whichever position is vacant, they give it to Webster

NSW CUP

- Ben Crooks not named this week, possibly injured as he's not in their lower grade either.

BRISBANE RUGBY LEAGUE

There don't seem to be any BRL games again this week. I think they are having Regional Rep games.

- Bobbie Goulding Jr

- Ollie Olds

MACKAY AND DISTRICT RL

Still no team lists I could find for this week. Curtis Cunningham did play Reserve Grade last week.

TIM ROBY

- Ref (they only have one) for NSW Cup game at Redfern Oval - Bunnies v Warriors. I can't remember the last game played at Redfern Oval.

A different day out for Luke Burgess, presenting trophies at the big Statewide finals of the U9s-U14s carnival at St Marys on the weekend. Here he is presenting awards to U13s winners, Bankstown Sports Club:

cq5dam.web.1280.1280.jpeg

I think the QRL photographers only attend games where Greg Eden is playing. Here he scores a try against Souths Logan Magpies. Eden scored 3 tries as the Wynnum Manly Seagulls beat Magpies 40-32.

ROUND 14

- James Graham missing this week with a hamstring injury

- Souths, continue last week's selection and start with Tom at prop and George on the bench.

- Luke Burgess gets a weekend off as Manly get a much-needed bye

- Gareth Widdop and Mike Cooper get a free weekend as St George get a bye

- Jack Reed another Brit gets a bye

- Sam Tomkins was a late withdrawal from the Warriors thumping at the hands of the Bunnies in Perth. Returns this week against his 2016 replacement, Roger Tuivasa Sheck

- Josh Hodgson gets a bye weekend in the National Capital. He'll have all that spare time to watch the frost melt a bit then start forming again, then melt a bit.........Gee, I wonder why the Raiders have such trouble recruiting players

QLD CUP

- Greg Eden gets a weekend off as Wynnum Manly have a bye.

- Luke George named in the centres the Northern Pride. Dean McGilvray not named.

- Ian Webster stays at lock for the Central Capras. I think this might be the first time this season that he has worn the same jumper 2 weeks in a row.

NSW CUP

- Ben Crooks  possibly injured as he's not in their lower grade either but they haven't updated thier injury list this month so I can't check.

BRISBANE RUGBY LEAGUE

Teams not online yet.

- Bobbie Goulding Jr

- Ollie Olds

MACKAY AND DISTRICT RL

Still no team lists I could find for this week. Curtis Cunningham did play Reserve Grade last week.

TIM ROBY

- Touch Judge for the Storm v Eels. Possible masterstroke by Roby as this is a Monday game in Melbourne so he might as well stay there for Origin on Wednesday.

CANTERBURY skipper James Graham is expected to miss a month of NRL action because of the hamstring injury suffered in the win over St George-Illawarra last week.

ROUND 15

- James Graham will be out for at least 2 weeks more with a hamstring injury

- Souths with Tom at prop and George on the bench.

- Luke Burgess as starting prop for Manly

- Gareth Widdop and Mike Cooper both is starting 13 for St George's big game with the Roosters on Monday night.

- Jack Reed will be hoping to continue his great form against the Storm

- Sam Tomkins still not recovered from his PCL injury (knee)

- Josh Hodgson starting dummy-half for the Raiders big test in Townsville. This game kicks off at 3pm and the daylight should help the Raiders backline - they play a lot of night games on slippery, frosty tracks at this time of year.

QLD CUP

- Greg Eden returns from the bye on the wing for Wynnum Manly.

- Luke George stays in the centres the Northern Pride. Dean McGilvray not named.

- Ian Webster stays at lock for the Central Capras.

NSW CUP

- Ben Crooks  possibly injured as he's not in their lower grade either. Maybe he's part of Koukash's big press conference next week.

BRISBANE RUGBY LEAGUE

- Bobbie Goulding Jr plays at 6 for the Gaters against the Normanby Hounds.

- Ollie Olds named at 7 for Normanby

MACKAY AND DISTRICT RL

TIM ROBY

- Standby touch judge for the St George/Roosters game on Monday. Before that he will ref the NYC (U20s) game.

Archived