Football

I've read McAuslan, I know how to say it.

Yer shilpit wee nyaff! ;) 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

True, but: -

- The  lady in question was hardly drunk and incapable when she was recorded on the hotel security camera footage, as she claimed in court to have been at the time.

- She also deleted her Facebook comments from that evening, possibly because she didn't think it would help her case.

- According to Ched's webpage, at the time of their being charged with rape .... 'the police had no forensic evidence to link either man to the sexual act, nor did the police have a complaint of rape.'

- Two men were involved, one was found not guilty, one was found guilty.

- Six witness statements were not presented in court; they were not supportive of the claimant's case.

- He's served eighteen months and has another year to go. I feel that, given the seeming irregularities, eighteen months is enough.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

True, but: -

- The lady in question was hardly drunk and incapable when she was recorded on the hotel security camera footage, as she claimed in court to have been at the time.

- She also deleted her Facebook comments from that evening, possibly because she didn't think it would help her case.

- According to Ched's webpage, at the time of their being charged with rape .... 'the police had no forensic evidence to link either man to the sexual act, nor did the police have a complaint of rape.'

- Two men were involved, one was found not guilty, one was found guilty.

- Six witness statements were not presented in court; they were not supportive of the claimant's case.

- He's served eighteen months and has another year to go. I feel that, given the seeming irregularities, eighteen months is enough.

Can you see any flaws in the above?

The Unicorn is not a Goose,

Can you see any flaws in the above?

His cause is admittedly not an open and shut case; otherwise he would have been found not guilty.

However, despite the indicated irregularities he was apparently refused a right of appeal. On the face of it, this seems strange. Was he refused a right of appeal to avoid embarrassing the way the evidence was handled by the judge, the CPS and the police?

He is not a superstar footballer or, as far as I am aware, part of any gangland clan. He seemingly has a degree of support from his local community ... the claimant has reportedly moved away (understandable) and been given a new identity (surely all rape victims are not offered this option as a standard policy?).

Why didn't his defence refer to the unused statements during his trial?

Since when did altering a Facebook page make a him more or less guilty?

I won't go on any more, other than to ask you what the estimated conviction rate is for these types of crimes is, and to query whether or not you think that there must have been some pretty compelling evidence presented at his trial to convince a jury to find him guilty in the absence of forensic evidence.

A right I appeal only applies if there is grounds by which to appeal (new evidence for instance). I believe in innocence until proven guilty, and guilt until a reasonable challenge can be made.

Edited by Larry the Leit

I honestly don't know any of these things.

There is just such a groundswell of support for him that would not be there if his community thought he was capable of any callous rape. His girlfriend has stood by him.

Two men have sex with a woman.  The woman says she can't remember anything in detail and that her drink must have been spiked. The hotel videotape shows her walking in without any apparent unsteadiness.

Both are charged with rape. One man gets found not guilty; one guilty. That is, on prima facie appraisal, an unusual outcome.

I'm not saying he is innocent; just that

(1) I hope he gets an appeal.

(2) Andrew Mitchell, the National Union of Mineworkers and the Hillsbrough families would probably attest that the Police and courts do not always act with stainless impartiality. 

(3) Stuart Hall got 18 months.

Attending an under elevens match on Saturday last, I found out later that some lads on our team had been verbally abusing a rather big lad playing for the opposition, saying he was too fat to play football. Our Stu is going to bring the matter up at training, as well as having my say on Saturday. Now I know things are said in junior football that aren't complimentary, but surely this is bang out of order? I just hope the lad goes on to continue playing the sport, but these things can be off-putting to say the least. 

Interestingly, William Henry Foulke was an outstanding goalkeeper for Sheffield United way back in time even though reputedly weighing 25 stone.

Edited by Saint Billinge

Interestingly, William Henry Foulke was an outstanding goalkeeper for Sheffield United way back in time even though reputedly weighing 25 stone.

...and don't forget Neil Ruddock and Jan Molby.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Attending an under elevens match on Saturday last, I found out later that some lads on our team had been verbally abusing a rather big lad playing for the opposition, saying he was too fat to play football. Our Stu is going to bring the matter up at training, as well as having my say on Saturday. Now I know things are said in junior football that aren't complimentary, but surely this is bang out of order? I just hope the lad goes on to continue playing the sport, but these things can be off-putting to say the least. 

But wasn't he referred to as fatty?  Which goes against your argument does it not?

it may be the spur the lad needs to become britains 1st Olympic sumo gold medal, the lard works in mysterious ways

the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

But wasn't he referred to as fatty?  Which goes against your argument does it not?

You are correct in what you say regards Foulke but does this make it right to ignore this type of bullying? What's not in doubt is that some children do commit suicide after being constantly bullied. We can't change the past, but we can try to help youngsters improve their attitude to one another. Respect today at all levels is on the decline: I can vouch for that personally!

Edited by Saint Billinge

I am pretty certain he did play for City.

He did indeed. According to records 22 matches. It's been said that he once snapped the crossbar when playing for Bradford City. Apparently, he swung on it during the taking of a penalty. It's also said that Chelsea became the first club to use ballboys conveniently placed behind goal to make Foulke look even more huge. He was certainly a character. It seems a similar ploy happened when entering the field of play. A tiny winger named Moran would walk behind Foulke, leaving the opposition in dread of confronting the huge man. 

Edited by Saint Billinge

Go to Twitter and search for #askharry :biggrin:

Ralph Waldo Emerson

If anyone has any Slovanian connections and can get me a ticket for the FC Maribor v Wigan game I'd be much obliged!  Hard work this European lark!  Wigan sold out of 652 tickets in under an hour and a further 150 exec tickets and packages on the same day apparently.

Enjoyed the game last night, fair play to the 12 Russians who made the 2500 mile trip to Wigan, there's every danager we may now qualify for knockout stages, a win may do it, a win and a draw from the last 3 games almost certainly will.

Edited by shrek

Had a day off today so decided to watch some of the argentine football on demand on premier sports (thought I would get my moneys worth as I have just signed up). Pleasantly suprised by the skills on show, its like a fusion of la liga and the epl, silky skills plus some hard tackling

• 1 month later...

Also the draw for the World Cup finals in Brazil is being made next Friday*, and as England are unseeded, which teams would you want England to avoid/draw?

*Carefully avoiding an overlap with the RLWC, well done Brazil.

Edited by Bleep1673