Average Attendances

Dave Naylor

I've been keeping track of the attendances in the Championship this season.  Don't know why really I just did.  Anyway here are the averages for each club.

The first column is the raw average home-figure, the second column has been adjusted to exclude the larger home gate figures attained when the likes of Leigh and Bradford turned up.  

Summer Bash is excluded.

attendances.png

Stands up pretty well overall, certainly better than Whitebank (in Oldham). Improvement in crowds out of town,who would have thought it? Pity the 2500 fans who chose to stay at home for various reasons have missed out on a great little ground and a roller coaster of a season so far (maybe some might just give it a go for the important games coming up,the lads need the support). Great to see crowds gradually improving and hopefully we survive in this league, its far better than Champ 1 (no disrespect intended),and build in the right direction to continue the improvements.

Agreed 34.Cracking little ground (if only we could have one in Oldham, that would be out of this world),this season with its twists and turns. Atmosphere great compared with White bank.Hopefully as you alluded to,maybe some stayaways might give it a go in the final furlong.

Short memories? Not at all, Whitebank served a purpose but its a white elephant without major investment. Temporary? The future according to the club is at Whitebank, So what you are alluding to is the fact that the slope got us promoted? Fact is the ground at Stalybridge is superior in every way to Whitebank in its current state and crowds have risen by a third again of what we got at Whitebank there. Out of town isn't so bad after all.

White bank did serve its purpose,it provided a pitch to play on.I've really enjoyed Bower fold this season. Good venue, Celtic should be proud of their great little ground. I don't think White bank is the future of the club as it wouldn't matter how much money was thrown at it,the relentless break ins would make any plans for the site very difficult.

I suspect the home support is not that much more than it was at Whitebank.

Larger away support turning up from these bigger clubs to a better facility accounts for much of the increase.

I still maintain if a decent ground was in Oldham, average crowds in this division would top 1000 straight away. Even moderate success (middle 8s every other year) could see crowds rise towards 1500.

What stands out for me here is the relative failure of London and Sheffield to attract a crowd. Such potential for these clubs if they can market the product and themselves better.

I think that more people have attended the fold than whitebank.I've seen faces that I didn't notice at Whitebank.As regards a venue of our own,I don't think the club will ever have the finances to approach such a venture. I don't think there is that type of money in lower league rugby league. I also am under the impression that foot fall in the sport has fallen in recent years.

Yeah, I agree, the sport in general has lost much of its in-stadium support in recent years. But a club like Sheffield? Old club. Big city club. Full time club. Getting attendances like that. It's depressing.

In terms of Roughyeds it's good there's new faces. But there's some been lost too. Do you think its Stalybridgers turning up, or do you think its the higher division/quality of opposition attracting new Oldhamers, or is it Whitebank stay aways coming back? Or a combination of all of them?

You are right. The current club could not justify a new stadium with current supporter levels and could not afford or leverage the money to build one.

But a community facility in Oldham could be built. A venue for RL, RU, Athletics, concerts.

If it was built slightly out of town somewhere on the M60/627M it could be a condition of or part of a larger multi-use development to include industrial units, affordable housing, retail and leisure offer, hospitality.

Its carparks and surrounds could be used for other events - car boots, fairgrounds, farmers markets, municipal and seasonal events.

A facility for the whole town, all year....that Roughyeds play at.

Doesn't need to be much more than the Manchester Regional Arena. But a town of a quarter of a million people should have a community stadium.

This wouldn't need council involvement/facilitation perchance Tubey?

They would need some persuading and  to get all that arty farty stuff out of the way first.

Still I agree and whats more not far from Bogpool upon Sea where I live AFC Fylde have something of that ilk on the go.

http://www.afcfylde.co.uk/our-vision/

They have got an Aldi and some industrial units in there.Pub, Petrol station,probably a subway and Greggs will be thrown in.

Its all but finished and looks well.Some vision and joined up thinking and wallop, jobs created .

Spot on AK. Joined up thinking is all it needs.

Fylde thing looks great.

A couple of retail partners. A couple of industrial units let.

A bid to the big lottery fund and the GM regeneration fund. Put a bit of pressure on the RFL and the RFU and Sport England to chuck a few quid in.

A favourable view from Town Planners and the Council might not even have to stump up any cash, just the land.

I like the thinking AK and HOTTB. Community style stadium is the future. Slightly out of town though? Treading on thin ice with the "if its not in Oldham,I'm not going brigade". 4 miles from the Oldham boundary is like asking them to go to Outer Mongolia lol

Problem is I fancy, wherever we play its a case of wrong side of town etc. Be another myriad of naysayers no matter where potentially a new ground could be. Sad but true. I just hope we can eventually develop a community stadium like you say within the Oldham Boundary and everyone who has stayed away will embrace it. We live in hope.

Don't forget there was hardly away support. I not fussed where they play, I just don't like being lied to.

If i was told there was a chance of it not being in Oldham then I would have been onside

It not only me it affected my wife won't go.

Stands up pretty well overall, certainly better than Whitebank (in Oldham). Improvement in crowds out of town,who would have thought it? Pity the 2500 fans who chose to stay at home for various reasons have missed out on a great little ground and a roller coaster of a season so far (maybe some might just give it a go for the important games coming up,the lads need the support). Great to see crowds gradually improving and hopefully we survive in this league, its far better than Champ 1 (no disrespect intended),and build in the right direction to continue the improvements.

Which 2500 fans are you talking about. Its a long time since we had crowds of that size.

The ones who wont go because we don't play in Oldham,or wont come because of CH etc. According to postings going way back,(don't ask me to find them cause I cba) suggestions were made that Oldham could/should get 2500-3000 fans at Champ level. Currently 5-600 attend regularly. Therefore there must be 2500 is who would return if......

Personally speaking, the team should be getting attendances of around 1100-1500 now imho, if the Oldham theory (in the correct place of course) ever came off, 2500-3000 should not be unobtainable eventually. The quality of opposition is higher and games are certainly more competitive, its a case as always that I say, if people care about a team representing Oldham then the way to show support is to turn up for games, its not the end of the world to travel to Stalybridge,just pay admission and that's it, if folk want a pint or food then that goes to Stalybridge not CH. Support the team not the regime.

Spot on 34,support the team,they're the ones on the pitch after all. I know that Hamilton isn't everybody's cup of tea.I agree with them on certain points,ie- not much communication between club and fans.The vast majority of other clubs post on here to keep the fans in the loop,not ours.I really think the clubs missing something not posting on this forum. But hey I still turn up to cheer the team on.

Short memories? Not at all, Whitebank served a purpose but its a white elephant without major investment. Temporary? The future according to the club is at Whitebank, So what you are alluding to is the fact that the slope got us promoted? Fact is the ground at Stalybridge is superior in every way to Whitebank in its current state and crowds have risen by a third again of what we got at Whitebank there. Out of town isn't so bad after all.

Got to disagree on your comment (Out of town isn't so bad), It's terrible and a disgrace to the town and it's council. 

We are Oldham Roughyeds we might as well remove the name Oldham from the title.

I know I'm covering old ground but we should be at Boundary Park and it would have then been interesting what our crowds would have been like?

Archived