Super League/NRL/International Rules

A few thoughts after watching the Broncos vs Penrith and Wigan vs Saints games yesterday:

Play-the-ball:  I didn’t see one attempt to play-the-ball correctly in the Super League game, whereas just about every NRL play-the-ball involved the use of the foot. Does anyone know what the international rules say about this (or indeed, what Super League rules say)?

Free play:  The Super League “free play” just seemed to add to the scrappiness of the game yesterday. The team with the advantage generally tried an overambitious move, ending in a mistake, so that play had to come back to where the original mistake took place.

Wouldn’t it make sense for Super League to adopt International rules, so that when it comes to internationals, we’re not having to re-learn the rules and adapt?

I agree, and that is the route that we can now work towards. It required an over arching body - now the RLIF will for the first time in the next few months have people and money, this is on the to do list. I expect any combined rules will still be subject to the NRL doing what it likes from time to time though. But it can and will get better.

Wouldn’t it make sense for Super League to adopt International rules, so that when it comes to internationals, we’re not having to re-learn the rules and adapt?

No because we all know it's the NRL that makes it up as it likes. It's the NRL that should adopt international rules. When Super League plays according to modified rules that's completely OK.

The ruck is becoming a bit of a joke, the tacklers try to get away with hanging on as much as possible, with the tackled player crawling or walking of the mark to win a penalty. Briscoe at Leeds is one of the worst for moving off the mark.

Referees need to be consistent across all teams and clear this part of the game up.

The Bunker in the NRL is a joke... case in point NZ Warriors Charlie Gubb 7 weeks suspension for a shoulder charge that was nothing even the guy tackled said it was fine afterwards & know one noticed anything on filed at the time and know one was hurt1 JOKE. VERY GOOD THE SUPER LEAGUE DOSNT HAVE THAT BUNKER C-RAP!

A few thoughts after watching the Broncos vs Penrith and Wigan vs Saints games yesterday:

Play-the-ball:  I didn’t see one attempt to play-the-ball correctly in the Super League game, whereas just about every NRL play-the-ball involved the use of the foot. Does anyone know what the international rules say about this (or indeed, what Super League rules say)?

Free play:  The Super League “free play” just seemed to add to the scrappiness of the game yesterday. The team with the advantage generally tried an overambitious move, ending in a mistake, so that play had to come back to where the original mistake took place.

Might be as well to watch the Storm v Roosters game first re: PTB.

The SLE, NRL and International Laws are all the same for the PTB

They maybe but the NRL have penalised players consistently this season for not using their foot. I suppose the question is which interpretation we will be using.

As others have said, the laws of the game are identical when it comes to the play the ball... but the interpretation is vastly different. In the Super League the play the ball is not policed and players rarely make an attempt to touch the ball with their foot. It is stricter in the NRL.

Some on here will say I am overreacting but I find the state of the play the ball over here a disgrace and at times it effects my enjoyment of the game.

We have seen the scrum degrade into the nothing event it is now... but we have those about 20 times less often than the play the ball... I really hope we start to crack down on it.

The interpretation in the 4 Nations will be interesting at the end of the year.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Archived