Garry Schofield

moorside roughyed

He's tipped us to go down just like he did last season. Scott Naylor has dissmissed the notion.I think he's talking shash.I was wondering what my fellow roughyeds think about Mr Schofield's comment. I'm of the opinion that this season will be harder than last season but I think the players we've brought in will be just what we need to keep us up.

Schofield has proved to be a useless "pundit" his opinions on most things RL are a joke. The guy was a great player but let's himself down with the comments he makes,not just because he thinks we will go down, his opinion is worthless IMHO.He seems to make comments to be controversial but ends up looking a prat. Shame after a glorious playing career.

Agree,Clifford, as Nobby has said we will prove him wrong. We actually were not to far off a higher finish last season,away form and injuries crippled us really,as well as losing some tight games we probably should have won. Although I don't rate his opinions if it came down to it, any fan of any side would take 10th and stay up before a game has been played. Staying in the Championship is paramount,higher finish would be great financially and maybe increase crowds a touch but survival is the aim for all the "lower" group of clubs.

If you read the article,  you can see that he's just cast his eye over last year's tables and jumped to conclusions.  So the supposed weaker of the two promoted clubs, Hairnets, and then the team finishing one place above the bottom two, Oldham, are the obvious picks for relegation.  Anyone could have done that without any knowledge of the game whatsoever.

I remember a very strong and talented Leeds side visiting Watersheddings, probably early 90's. The team included a certain Mr Schofield, who was then at his prime, one of the best players in the country.

We sent them home with their tails between their legs.

Probably still bears a grudge.

Indeed Bryan, 1990 it was 32-22 to the Yeds. First game of the season i seem to recall.Also notable for the Sunday Sport sponsoring that game and the Sport girls showing us their wares haha. Probably the only reason I remember it lol. Highlights of that match are on YouTube,unfortunately missing out the ladies :)

I thought his article was about right and matches most Championship followers opinions, excluding partisan bias (we all have it). Ignoring for the moment the possibility of any club going belly up mid-season (not an impossibility) it really looks like it will be a battle amongst six clubs to avoid the bottom two places. Injuries and "bad luck" happen to every club and you can never assume any season will be better than the last on that front.

It will certainly be anther interesting season for many of us and I look forward to visiting Bower Fold again next year, preferably with a better outcome for my lot this time around.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Archived