Showboating

Someone mentioned Shaun Edwards the other day and we were talking about his stance and nods after tries which led on to others who did similar things and those funny little actions like grenade throwing mimes etc We both thought that showboating (we couldn't think of anything else to call it) was good stuff, that we quite missed it and wished there was more. Does anyone else have a favourite showboat? Would you like to see more? Is there any player from your team that does it now?

This all came from a mixed discussion about Toronto, the sport needing to appeal more in the drama WWF sort of thing and graabing people's attention which showboating always seemed to do even with the uninitiated.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Henderson Gill's celebration after scoring against the Aussies in the 3rd test in 88' will always pleasantly stick in my mind

"Does a bit of boogie!" good call, and don't we all, my eyes are still bloodshot from getting up early to watch!

Anyone from now, Lobby?

Someone mentioned Shaun Edwards the other day and we were talking about his stance and nods after tries which led on to others who did similar things and those funny little actions like grenade throwing mimes etc We both thought that showboating (we couldn't think of anything else to call it) was good stuff, that we quite missed it and wished there was more. Does anyone else have a favourite showboat? Would you like to see more? Is there any player from your team that does it now?

This all came from a mixed discussion about Toronto, the sport needing to appeal more in the drama WWF sort of thing and graabing people's attention which showboating always seemed to do even with the uninitiated.

I remember Martin Offiah taking the last few steps backwards for one of his many breaks

Interestingly, (or perhaps not), all show-boating is banned in the NFL.

Which shows it's worth doing and not everything from the USA is good or worth copying!

Two I remember from Warrington.

Nathan Wood scoring against Wigan at the HJ in front of the away fans, plonking the ball down and sprinting straight down the tunnel one side of the away end, running along the concourse and re-emerging at the other tunnel.

Lee Briers scoring at the opposite end (about the same time, might even have been the same game) and running into the stand and sitting among the fans in an empty seat.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Two I remember from Warrington.

Nathan Wood scoring against Wigan at the HJ in front of the away fans, plonking the ball down and sprinting straight down the tunnel one side of the away end, running along the concourse and re-emerging at the other tunnel.

Lee Briers scoring at the opposite end (about the same time, might even have been the same game) and running into the stand and sitting among the fans in an empty seat.

That Lee Briers one was fantastic and the RFL very wrong to chastise him! Great stuff thank you Lee abiding memory!

Any from today and if not why not?

Not sure Toronto is really that bothered about WWF style entertainment in their sports (unlike Americans), they tend to like they physical side of things more. They love nothing more than a good punch up on the Ice Hockey rink.

At the Toronto launch press conference they even said how they were looking forward to the aggression and contact that RL provides, and even joked about it being able to give the fans a bit of biff to watch.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

From recent memory, think it was the first game of the Indigenous all-stars concept. Wendell Sailor scoring and grabbing the corner post, and playing it like a Digeridoo, while the other players all broke out into Aboriginal dance..

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

Henry Fa'afili and his bazooka was great fun.

I do enjoy seeing people enjoying scoring, seeing Sandow celebrate his drop goal at Salford was brilliant, genuinely brilliant photos.

The Sarginson try recently where he celebrated and his teamates jumped on him was good to see.

Not sure Toronto is really that bothered about WWF style entertainment in their sports (unlike Americans), they tend to like they physical side of things more. They love nothing more than a good punch up on the Ice Hockey rink.

At the Toronto launch press conference they even said how they were looking forward to the aggression and contact that RL provides, and even joked about it being able to give the fans a bit of biff to watch.

I always think of Ice Hockey as Biff on a stick!

But once they're introduced to the showboat they might come up with some very Canadian ones of their own!

I do enjoy seeing people enjoying scoring, seeing Sandow celebrate his drop goal at Salford was brilliant, genuinely brilliant photos.

The Sarginson try recently where he celebrated and his teamates jumped on him was good to see.

Yes the Fa'afili one was great wasn't it?

Didn't he also used to just shrug his shoulders as if to say "no big deal".

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

Didn't he also used to just shrug his shoulders as if to say "no big deal".

I don't remember that, but anything that creates a bit of theatre to the scoring of a try is good stuff!

My favourite bit of showboating in the act of scoring a try? $onny Bill Judas Weasel falling on his bum over the dead-ball line against Samoa.

Now THAT was entertaining! B) 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

My favourite bit of showboating in the act of scoring a try? $onny Bill Judas Weasel falling on his bum over the dead-ball line against Samoa.

Now THAT was entertaining! B)

Funny as it was, unless you have evidence he did it on purpose, it has to be disqualified from the "showboating" trophy!

Archived