Rugby League World Magazine: what's in the new issue & where to get it.

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 427 - (NOV 2016)

Now available online - download our smartphone/tablet app from the Apple Store or Google Play for Android, or go to www.totalrl.com/rlw for desktop and other versions.

Also in shops from Friday, 21st October. Order a copy (or a subscription) by post from www.totalrl.com/shop

rlw_nov16_large.png

WHAT'S INSIDE...

As we catch our breath at the end of another blockbuster domestic season by taking a look back at the Super League Grand Final and the Million Pound Game, we also dig deep into the crisis facing Cumbrian Rugby League as all three of its professional clubs now find themselves in League 1. Is the door to Super League likely to stay forever slammed shut on the sport’s ‘forgotten’ county?

Leigh Centurions have proved the doubters wrong. It is possible for a Championship club to win promotion to Super League. Club owner Derek Beaumont and coach Neil Jukes tell us how they did it.

Former Hull KR and Hull FC star Paul Cooke talks about his new book ‘Judas?’ in which he bares his soul about ‘that’ transfer and other turning points in his life.

As Hemel Stags prepare for their hugely controversial link up with Dewsbury Rams, we look at the various differing blueprints being followed by League 1 expansion clubs in the quest for success.

Wakefield winger Judah Mazive talks about his journey from Zimbabwe and how he is aiming to make his family proud by achieving success in Rugby League, and Tottenham born ex-footballer Iliess Macani explains the sharp learning curve involved in taking up a new sport as the former London Bronco heads for Bradford next season.

Joe Vagana enjoyed a trophy-laden career with the Bulls. We catch up with the big man to find out where life has taken him since he hung up his boots.

Liam Kay tells us why he is leaving Leigh to go promotion-chasing once again with Canadian newcomers Toronto Wolfpack in League 1.

Spain are in our international spotlight as we chat with Miguel Blanco-Charters, who earned his call up via Twitter while playing amateur rugby with Seaton Rangers.

Wath Brow Hornets provide our Rising Star, plus Dream XIII (Brett Hodgson), Getting To Know (Tom Johnstone), Random League, Women’s Rugby League (Thatto Heath & Leigh Miners Rangers), Dave Hadfield’s Last Tackle, Steve Mascord’s Bondi Beat and more!

Rugby League World magazine is published every month, available on print subscription (worldwide) and online for desktop, tablet and smartphone
Follow us on Twitter/X @rlworld / Instagram @rlworld / Threads @rlworld
Like us on Facebook - facebook.com/rugbyleagueworld

Interesting cover!

Yeah - I do think it's really good actually and I like it a lot, very eye catching and I loved Blockbusters as a kid.

However I do also find it odd that going into a home four nations series there is absolutely no mention of it on the cover at all. We had a massive England preview last year with player interviews and them in the kit on the cover, usually sports mags do go all out for the international scene when the tournaments come around, so a little disappointing that - from the cover at least - it's been forgotten. A shame as that cover could have been done in the off season (maybe with England added lifting a certain trophy up...?)

That said, don't judge a mag by it's cover as I'm looking forward to the Cumbria analysis and of course seeing what Big Joe is up to these days.

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

Hmmm, there seems to be a difference of opinion here!  :O

Can't please all the people...etc.

Be interested to hear comments on the content once people have had a chance to pick up a copy and read it.

Ta.

Fabulous content this month. Managed to pick my copy up from WHSmith at Wakefield Westgate, who still had last months edition on sale. Have Asda stopped selling it ? Because I used to buy it from there but can't see it now.

I prefer one big, bold picture on the front so it stands out but the blockbuster board layout looks ok.

Great how you picked out Judiah Maize out as interesting article points that many different cultures and countries could and should play Rugby.

f3gms4.jpg

Really good overall, in terms of bringing the curtain down on 2016 (minus 4N obviously). I thought that the piece on expansion was interesting, although it does feel like going round the houses yet again (not RLW's fault).

Martyn Sadler's piece on RL identity was massively thought provoking for me. As someone that works in the field of brand and marketing (and a relative newcomer to RL) I think that I've probably got an essay in me on the subject in response (well, he did ask!) but I'm still trying to work through what I think. 

On the negative side, I get that having the content slightly angled off the page is distinctive, but I'm not convinced it actually works! 

As JD says you can't please everybody - it was the cover that caught my eye and persuaded me to give it another go. I stopped buying it a couple of editors ago when it turned in to being nothing more than a fanzine and a voice for players who said much the same thing. I'm won over again by the  new issue that still promotes the game in a positive light but is not frightened to raise important issues - the "relocation" of Hemel Stags to Dewsbury and the state of the game up here in Cumbria. That could fill an entire issue!

Anyway, I'll be buying next month's and I haven't said that for a long time.

Much improved over the last 3 or 4 editions.

Limiting the number of articles by the players and including such as Cumbria,Hemel etc has certainly helped.

I think you've just put your finger on what I think the improvement has been. Big tick in the box for less of the "ghost written neutral comment" player stuff. There's a place for player comment, but it was starting to feel like it had taken over.

I think you've just put your finger on what I think the improvement has been. Big tick in the box for less of the "ghost written neutral comment" player stuff. There's a place for player comment, but it was starting to feel like it had taken over.

There was a point earlier this year when each issue had Eorl Crabtree, Michael Shenton, Ryan Hall, Dan Sarginson, Todd Carney and Alex Warmsley each had a double page player comment.

There was a point earlier this year when each issue had Eorl Crabtree, Michael Shenton, Ryan Hall, Dan Sarginson, Todd Carney and Alex Warmsley each had a double page player comment.

And Ryan Brierley as well! Also at one point some player's columns were responses to columns another player had written last month. Sure we had the same topic three months on the trot from three different players, picking their SL Dream team or England squad or something.

When RLW revamped with all these player columns about 18 months ago it was defended as giving a voice to the players who are sometimes overlooked. I don't necessarily disagree, but no point in giving them a voice if they have nothing interesting to say and a lot of the time (in my opinion) it was very sanitised stuff. If you didn't have a picture of the player or know who had written it, most could have been written by literally any player currently playing, they had no character. Eorl and Shenton were the only ones who tried to break the mould a bit and provide a bit wider thinking. I think Warmsley is still in the mag currently but I don't think the mag would be poorer if the column stopped.

I also think there are still a few player interviews that don't tell us anything. "I Started playing in school, then I played for the amateurs, then I got picked up by (insert club here) and it was amazing when (insert big player from 10 years ago) came over and taught us about playing". You are never going to get away from it completely but I certainly prefer more of the investigative stuff, or Bondai Beat, or articles about a topic and then players weighing in that way.

Anyway, despite that criticism, RLW is in fine health at the mo. Did I miss something though - is our very own Webby back at the editor's helm - I notice there has been no "note from the Ed" the past three months.

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

Anyway, despite that criticism, RLW is in fine health at the mo. Did I miss something though - is our very own Webby back at the editor's helm - I notice there has been no "note from the Ed" the past three months.

I think it's on a mighty return to form, so for me a lot of the criticism is in the past, on past matters. That editor's letter could be absolutely cringeworthy at times.

As it's near enough off season and the mighty Webby will be brainstorming the next issue, it's time for me to once again throw my brilliant idea in to the mix.

Inform and guide us step-by-step and chronology of a player transferring from one club to another. It happens dozens of time each year but there must be nuances we mere peasants don't see. And I'd be interested to know.

Even if it's Phil flippin' Joseph.

Just bought the October version which was an enjoyable read for my trip to Vietnam. After finishing with it, I left it in the One World first class lounge in Doha to pass on the gospel.

I similarly get perverse enjoyment from hiding union rags behind RLW in WH Smith!

Just bought the October version which was an enjoyable read for my trip to Vietnam. After finishing with it, I left it in the One World first class lounge in Doha to pass on the gospel.

I similarly get perverse enjoyment from hiding union rags behind RLW in WH Smith!

I write for the thing and I do it that much I ought to put it on my CV in the hobbies section

Keep it up!  :laugh:

Rugby League World writer

Twitter: @a_hope14
Mobile: iPhone 3

Archived