Send England to the 2017 Student World Cup in Australia!

In July 2017, England Universities will take part in the Student Rugby League World Cup which takes place in Sydney, Australia.

The team is made up of the best student Rugby League players in the country and participation in the squad is self-funded. Each player and member of the volunteer coaching and management team is responsible for raising money for themselves to cover UK-based training and friendly games, kit and equipment, flights, accommodation, travel, insurance and tournament participation fees.

The whole squad will be working hard to fundraise the £110k needed for the trip through selling sponsorship, Community Game Raffle Tickets and staging events, but all donations will go a long way to reducing the cost of taking part in the tournament for the players.

England Universities Head Coach, Colin Baker, said: "Please give generously and play your part in sending England Universities Rugby League Team to the Student Rugby League World Cup in 2017!

"The student game has been a rich source of players for both the professional and regonal leagues and is one of the major recruitment areas into our game.

"Anyone who witnessed the Student Rugby League World Cup in 2013 will know the quality of the competition and the importance of helping our England team as prepared as it can be!"

Donate now at www.gofundme.com/englandunirl

As somebody who was lucky enough to represent England students RL (many years ago) I wish them well in both the fundraising and the tournament.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Thanks! Can you help to spread the word on the fundraising?

I will do what I can.  I will put the link on my Facebook and LinkedIn pages.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

The first phase of selection starts this weekend with the regional games. Read all the previews here:

Yorkshire v North East: http://www.rugby-league.com/article/38991/former-super-league-player-named-in-yorkshire-squad

Midlands v North West: http://www.rugby-league.com/article/38990/north-west-v-midlands--squads-announced

South West v South East: http://www.rugby-league.com/article/38992/league--talent-selected-in-south-west-squad

And please... if you can help financially to send Engand to the World Cup, click here: www.gofundme.com/englandunirl

Can't help but wonder if there isn't a better selection process for England Students. Playing for your region just doesn't entice some really good players to turn up to trials. The Student World Cup is a great idea though.

I'm always surprised with how poorly the North West do in the regional games. I suppose their only Premier team is Manchester Met, and even then only 5 of them were picked/put themselves forward. Manchester Met have at least 2 semi-professional players (unless they graduated last year) and neither of them are in the team so guessing they just didn't bother.

Much better than the previous regional tournament in one day....!

Can't help but wonder if there isn't a better selection process for England Students. Playing for your region just doesn't entice some really good players to turn up to trials. The Student World Cup is a great idea though.

I'm always surprised with how poorly the North West do in the regional games. I suppose their only Premier team is Manchester Met, and even then only 5 of them were picked/put themselves forward. Manchester Met have at least 2 semi-professional players (unless they graduated last year) and neither of them are in the team so guessing they just didn't bother.

When you say "always" thats interestng. The last two years the Midlands have had the upper hand but their squad is generally made up of the BUCS Semi and Quarter Finalists, so its not really a surprise.

In previous years, NW has always performed well at the Regionals. Midlands won in 2011 vs London & South - the only time I can remember a win outside of Yorks or NW since 2008 in the old format.

Final Scores from the regional games were:

Yorkshire 24 North East 6

Midlands 36 North West 10

South West 52 South East 16

Squads for the North v South Origin game will be announced in December.

Please help the England Students fundraising effort: www.gofundme.com/englandunirl

Full videos of each of the Regional Matches are now online to view!

Midlands v North West:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3V2Tl0IUDSc

South East v South West: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y18nxl-wwSU

North East v Yorkshire: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QB3GtQVSOMY

The coaching team have been reviewing all the footage and consulting with the regional coaching teams and will shortly announce a North and South Origin squad ahead of the Student Rugby League Origin Game in February. The initial England squad will be selected from the Origin game.

You can contribute to the fundraising effort for the England team’s participation by clicking to www.gofundme.com/englandunirl

Didn't the RFL used to sponsor the University tours ?

The RFL do contribute to the cost of the programme but Student RL Internationals have been majority player funded for the last 8/9 years or so that I have been involved in Student game.

• 2 weeks later...

England Universities Appoint Richard Tate As Assistant Coach

England Universities are delighted to name Richard Tate as their new assistant coach for the 2017 season including the Student Rugby League World Cup in Australia.

Head Coach Colin Baker is delighted with the appointment; "We had some excellent applications for the position and the guys were interviewed should all be considered to take over the reigns following the World Cup in 2017" he continued. "But for now Richard was the man I felt best to be part of the staff to take us to to the World Cup in Australia in 2017 and I'm delighted to welcome him on board. He's been a great part of the pathway in the last couple of years and really looking forward to looking more closely with him."

Richard Tate has been involved in the Student game for some time, previously coaching Bradford University and Hull University and is the current Leeds Trinity University Head Coach. He has also led the Yorkshire regional side in 2014, 2015 and 2016 and was head coach of the North team in last year's inaugural University Origin Game. He also served as Great Britain Student Pioneers head coach from 2013 to 2016.

"I'm really pleased and honoured to be given the opportunity as England Universities Assistant Coach for the 2017 Student Rugby League World Cup in Australia" said Richard. "I'm really looking forward to working with all the great staff and top players and to be part of an already great set up. The hard work and preparation starts now!"

The squads for the next stage of the England selection process, University Origin, will shortly be announced. In the meantime, England Universities need your support to get them to the 2017 Student Rugby League World Cup in Australia - click here to support: www.gofundme.com/englandunirl

Archived