The Photography Thread

On 31/08/2023 at 20:25, ckn said:

I was going through my photos the other night and found this one of me and Hugh from 2014IMG_0652.jpeg

Who is the team in green behind. Looks like my local club Helensburgh, so presume this is a RU event

• Thanks 1

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

On 13/09/2023 at 18:03, MattSantos said:

Who is the team in green behind. Looks like my local club Helensburgh, so presume this is a RU event

It was a 7s tournament in Helensburgh, I've got the paper with the clubs on it somewhere. You're right, I think the green lot were the local host club.

Quite a good day out! The Scotland RU veterans' 7s side brough the big names that the local union lot knew, but there were quite a few other rugby league folk as well. I'll see if I can find some pics I got of them as well.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

One more from the event. The team in the left side of the photo are a South African lot of ex national team players. My SA brother in law was properly star struck, especially when I got Hugh to introduce him to them. 

IMG_0651.jpeg

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

• 4 weeks later...

For my mid-life crisis I have foregone the Toyota MR2 and the blonde from the typing pool and gone for a mirrorless camera instead.

It's the rather lovely Nikon Z fc.

May be an image of text that says "Nikon Zfc"

Two kit lenses. I don't like carrying heavy gear any more so the fact that they are all so light overcomes the fact that they are not the fastest glass imaginable.

The quality they can produce is ludicrous though. (Granted, so far, conditions have been pretty close to perfect.)

53242324431_0e477e497a_c.jpg

There's two blokes enjoying themselves at parkrun for example ...

A couple of galleries:

Parkrun - https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjAXEf6

Women's football - Newhaven v Dartford Reserves - https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjAXTtH

So, yup, I'm enjoying it. Bringing the joy back to walking around with a camera.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

On 10/10/2023 at 13:50, gingerjon said:

For my mid-life crisis I have foregone the Toyota MR2 and the blonde from the typing pool and gone for a mirrorless camera instead.

It's the rather lovely Nikon Z fc.

May be an image of text that says "Nikon Zfc"

Two kit lenses. I don't like carrying heavy gear any more so the fact that they are all so light overcomes the fact that they are not the fastest glass imaginable.

The quality they can produce is ludicrous though. (Granted, so far, conditions have been pretty close to perfect.)

53242324431_0e477e497a_c.jpg

There's two blokes enjoying themselves at parkrun for example ...

A couple of galleries:

Parkrun - https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjAXEf6

Women's football - Newhaven v Dartford Reserves - https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjAXTtH

So, yup, I'm enjoying it. Bringing the joy back to walking around with a camera.

Mirrorless, undoubtedly the way forward, their focussing is unrivalled for speed and accuracy. I think the last batch of mirrorless bodies from nikon and canon are truly SLR beaters.. Now to slip an R5 or R3  past the missus when not looking 😄 

how do you find the electronic view finder? Thats oddly the DSLR relic i think i ll miss the most.

Edited by bulldog_paddy
typo

8 minutes ago, bulldog_paddy said:

Mirrorless, undoubtedly the way forward, their focussing is unrivalled for speed and accuracy. I think the last batch of mirrorless bodies from nikon and canon are truly SLR beaters.. Now to slip an R5 or R3  past the missus when not looking 😄 

how do you find the electronic view finder? Thats oddly the DSLR relic i think i ll miss the most.

I picked up a bridge camera a few years ago that had an EVF and hated it. It really was like watching a bad VHS recording.

The Z fc has, apparently, one of the more basic EVFs in the current mirrorless camera system markets and it's a world apart from that previous experience. It has a slight uncanny feeling to it that I've not got past yet but in terms of what you can see (and, more crucially, what you can adapt, control etc) it is incredible.

I went out on a couple of dark streets with it last night and the tracking, focusing and metering were still rapid and accurate - and there was no loss of clarity in the EVF at all.

Obviously entry-level cost for mirrorless is higher than it ever was for DSLR, even allowing for inflation, but my attitude is that if the Z fc is this good then the actual pro cameras must be getting very close to perfect in terms of what current photographers could ever demand.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

7 hours ago, bulldog_paddy said:

We have a Canon M50 and an M50Mk2, they really are superb, and from all accounts the R series (for obvious reasons) are far better. Lens selection for M's is a bit limited but we use them as travel cameras so don't want to carry a lot of kit.

Quality is superb, high ISO clarity is excellent, especially if you use the new noise enhance tool in PS Raw.

My 5DMkIII is still the camera of choice when I want top quality and a fast lens, but mirrorless is my go to for take a camera just in case.

• Like 1

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

ISO 1250. That used to be considered a high ISO. Handheld at 1/25 as well.

This camera is so good. Just beautiful textures.

53270739808_7cc25d3d5c_c.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Been going through some photos I took a few years ago in Bruges, I liked this one but it had two parked cars in it that spoilt it, a bit of Photoshop and gone.

0W1C2690lg-300x450.jpg

• Like 2

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Some stunning work in this collection of some of the years best photos.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-67542176

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

One from the football this afternoon

53537779035_e84a6e4fe6_z.jpg

Camera wrapped in a Sainsbury's plastic bag at the time.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Full moon tonight from the back garden.

IMG_0073-Enhanced-NR3 copy