2016 Samoa v Fiji - October 8, Apia

Fiji Bati

1. Kevin Naiqama (Wests Tigers)
2. Tyrone Phillips (Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs)
3. Waqa Blake (Penrith Panthers)
4. Brayden Williame (Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles)
5. Marcelo Montoya (Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs)
6. Sitveni Moceidreke (North Sydney Bears)
7. Henry Raiwalui (Wentworthville Magpies)
8. Vitale Roqica (Cronulla Sharks)
9. Apisai Koroisau (Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles)
10. Kane Evans (Sydney Roosters)
11. Viliame Kikau (Penrith Panthers)
12. Eloni Vunakece (Sydney Roosters)
13. Korbin Sims (Newcastle Knights)

14. Erevonu (Tui) Kamikamica (Melbourne Storm)
15. Petero (Ben) Nakubuwai (Melbourne Storm)
16. Pio Seci (Fiji)
17. James Storer (Port Kembla - Illawarra)

18. Saimoni Lomaloma (Fiji)

Coach: Mick Potter

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is Vunivalu unavailable? I thought he would be a shoe in for Fiji.

Edit-

I've just realised the match is a week on Saturday. I guess this doesn't give Vunivalu time to go into camp after his Grand Final commitments with the Storm.

"Rugby League is rugby in the simplest form in the sense that it's about great defence, great tackling technique, good handling, good passing, catching and great kicking."

Stuart Lancaster - England Rugby Union Head Coach - October 2013

I've just read that this is Samoa's first ever "Official Test" on home soil in their 30 year existence!

Let's hope the locals can look forward to a lot more over the next 30 years.

"Rugby League is rugby in the simplest form in the sense that it's about great defence, great tackling technique, good handling, good passing, catching and great kicking."

As expected, Samoa hasn't named a team yet. After all it's not on for another 10 days.

https://www.facebook.com/rugbyleaguesamoa/

Perhaps the team is on the Samoa RL official website but I can't work out how to navigate around the Google security/malware warnings to get there.

As expected, Samoa hasn't named a team yet. After all it's not on for another 10 days.

Perhaps the team is on the Samoa RL official website but I can't work out how to navigate around the Google security/malware warnings to get there.

Samoa will be waiting to see who the NRL clubs will let them have before naming a squad.

rldfsignature.jpg

And who the Aussies / Kiwis pick.

The Aussies and Kiwis are unlikely to name their squads until after Sundays GF. Surely the Samoans won't leave naming their squad until then?

From the players on show on Sunday I can only think of Sam Tagatese and Ricky Leutele who qualify for Samoa. I doubt Australia or NZ would pick either in their team.

The squad should have already been named, with a training camp set up on Samoa to engage the locals and increase exposure to Rugby League.

No team as such but I have seen a photo of Nofoaluma, Kaysa Pritchard, Junior Paulo and Suaso Sue at the airport. There was a piece on the Wests site about David Nofoaluma being selected - I don't know how he found out. He was excited, partly because he'd "never been to Samoa."

TOA SQUAD REMAINS TOP SECRET

Toa Samoa coach, Matt Parish, was not giving away much about his squad for the historic test against Fiji Bati at Apia Park yesterday.

With news that the team is likely to be without stars Joey Leilua and Junior Paulo – among others – who have already been snapped up by Australia and New Zealand, Parish said all will be revealed on Monday when the team is named

This is RL we are talking about; the game doesn't do forward planning - we are a fag packet sport.

I realise that GS, but what i suggested isn't forward planning, it should just be taken as read.

Maybe the next few days will reveal details of meet the player days, coaching clinics, open training sessions etc.

I realise that GS, but what i suggested isn't forward planning, it should just be taken as read.

Maybe the next few days will reveal details of meet the player days, coaching clinics, open training sessions etc.

You won't get any arguments from me RE; this clearly is a massive opportunity to push the sport in Samoa. But do the authorities realise this... those activities you mention should have been advertised a long time ago to generate real interest. 

Samoa team now announced:

Bunty Afoa

Lesson Ah Mau

Erin Clark

Raymond Faitala-Mariner

James Gavet

Pita Godinet

Sam Kasiano

Tim Lafai

Mason Lino

Sam Lisone

Ken Maumalo

David Nofoaluma

Junior Paulo

Kaysa Pritchard

Denny Solomona

Sauaso Sue

Matthew Wright

Some confusion about the TV schedule. Fox Sports is showing this as LIVE 7.30pm Saturday on Ch 503

That would mean kick-off at 10.30pm in Apia, very, very unlikely.

This is the latest I can find from the Fiji NSW Cup bid Twitter a/c

Fiji Bati v @RLSamoa Oct 8 LIVE on @FOXNRL via red button (FS507 SD) from 1230pm (qld) /130 AEDT & replayed HD 630pm qld or 730pm AEDT FS503

https://twitter.com/FijiNSWCupBid/status/783529736484032513

That's a replay, kick-off is 1.30 NSW time (I think).

16:40 local time, should be

EDIT: Which is 13:40 NSW time http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=Samoa+v+Fiji&iso=20161008T1640&p1=282&ah=2

Check out upcoming international fixtures and highlights of past matches at http://rlfixtures.weebly.com

St Albans Centurions International Liaison Officer and former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

What Fiji could/should look like if someone had the forsight to see potentially the most exciting international team in the world.

1   : Kevein Naiqama

2   : M Koroibete

3   : W Blake

4   : S Radradra

5   : S Vunivalu

6   : J Hayne

7   : A Groom

8   : A Sims

9   : A Koroisau

10 : K Evans

11 : D Bukuya

12 : T Sims

13 : K Sims

14 : J Saifiti

15 : V Kikau

16 : A Uate

17 : R Cambell-Gillard

They need a half back, and maybe a few more quality forwards, although on the bench there are some young guys coming through that are 20-21. Id pay money to watch them play. I'm sure they would rate high on the try factor and could compete with the Big 3. Shame that will never be, with no money and not much rep career in Fiji. Not sure if there is any Super League players you could add to that team.  

Koroibete is in union now.

Not just in RU but apparently rushed straight into the Wallabies training squad for their upcoming tour of Somewheristan. Further exposing the lack of playing depth in OZ RU. Taqele Naiyaravaro came over from Fiji same time as Koro and he's already in the Wallabies despite being unable to crack first grade at Wests Tigers.

Archived