Which nicknames would you drop from clubs names?

As Wakefield and Hunslet have dropped their nicknames for 2017 which nicknames would you drop or keep? I think the Rhinos and Tigers quite suite Leeds and Cas but I don't think anyone ever refers to Wigan as the Warriors (apart from Sky)

Tigers suit Castleford well, if for no other reason than the colour of the strip and it is vaguely traditional but Rhinos was pulled out of a hat. They seem to like it and state it has done well for the club etc, corporate branding, identity and all that but it is cheap and nasty and pulled out of the same 10 gallon stetson  as Wildcats. In fact all the new names just smack of some back of a beermat thinking. I mean no one in their right mind would put up Liverpool Wildcats FC or Newcastle Wildebeest FC.  It is exactly the same thing and we swallowed it. 

If you actually mean nicknames than how about dropping Wire, Chemics, Rervers, Lobbygobblers, Jam-eaters etc?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Tigers suit Castleford well, if for no other reason than the colour of the strip and it is vaguely traditional but Rhinos was pulled out of a hat. They seem to like it and state it has done well for the club etc, corporate branding, identity and all that but it is cheap and nasty and pulled out of the same 10 gallon stetson as Wildcats. In fact all the new names just smack of some back of a beermat thinking. I mean no one in their right mind would put up Liverpool Wildcats FC or Newcastle Wildebeest FC. It is exactly the same thing and we swallowed it.

Yet It's worked for Leeds so who gives a Donald.

Thank you for your valuable contribution.

Well Leeds were hardly failing before. It hasn't worked for Uddersfield and Wakefield and not made a difference at Bradford when the team isn't winning so there are probably other variables responsible for success.

Leeds had poor crowds and were minutes from going out of business before they were the Rhinos.

Thank you for your valuable contribution.

I'm probably one of the few who really like the names. I don't buy the 'football don't have them, so why should we' argument. Why not be different to the oval ball game?

I think its a real shame that Wakefield have dropped Wildcats. Hell, I even liked it when Hull were Hull Sharks.

I'm probably one of the few who really like the names. I don't buy the 'football don't have them, so why should we' argument. Why not be different to the oval ball game?

I think its a real shame that Wakefield have dropped Wildcats. Hell, I even liked it when Hull were Hull Sharks.

But you do buy the American sport has them so why shouldn't we argument. We were the same as that oval ball game.

If anyone thinks the nicknames in RL are bad have a look at some of the names of American college football/basketball teams, or the minor league baseball teams. I'm sure they all have a story behind them, but some are just mental, the Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns is one of the more out there choices.

If anyone thinks the nicknames in RL are bad have a look at some of the names of American college football/basketball teams, or the minor league baseball teams. I'm sure they all have a story behind them, but some are just mental, the Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns is one of the more out there choices.

Nothing will ever top the Scotsdale Community College Fighting Artichokes

Having witnessed the implementation of the Rhinos name and the way it has been used for 20 years I'm pretty comfortable in stating that it has had almost zero impact on the team's performance or the club's performance over that period.

The only substantive way the club bedded it in back in 1997 was by introducing Ronnie the Rhino who, by luck or design, turned out to be very popular. Apart from that it was the typical Rugby League story of sticking a name on and expecting 20,000 to turn up where previously there were 10,000. The timing was good however as within 15 months or so of the change Leeds became a top team again so it became associated with success.

Personally I've never referred to the club as Rhinos, find it a bit embarrasing and awkward and would not miss it if it disappeared tomorrow - but I know that's not going to happen.

Leeds were awful in 1996, nearly club-destroyingly bad both on and off the field. The club wasn't in a bad way because they called themselves Leeds RLFC, it was because an awful season coincided with the dawn of Super League which the club's bosses had themselves told fans was going to be a terrible disaster.

The change of name happened at the same time as a change in mindset at the club and investment in the team including the subsequent expensive acquisition of a what we'd now call a marquee player. Attendances in the late 1990s then reverted back to nearly where they were in the 93-95 period. How much was that to do with the name change? Who knows but to the degree that it became embedded it was largely thanks to an association with a successful team.

Have to agree the Centurions moniker has had it's day in my opinion, it was OK back in 1995 when originated but not now, perhaps to bring it bang up to date it could be called Leigh 1.22Centurions, just joking.

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

Living in Leeds family and friends hardly ever refer to 'Leeds' now...it's always 'the Rhinos'....the local Yorkshire Evening Post newspaper mostly refer to 'Rhinos'....as do the Racing Post in their match previews.

Living in Leeds family and friends hardly ever refer to 'Leeds' now...it's always 'the Rhinos'....the local Yorkshire Evening Post newspaper mostly refer to 'Rhinos'....as do the Racing Post in their match previews.

It's definitely caught on and a lot, but not all, fans use it. It would be pointless and probably controversial to get rid of it now.

The question is did it affect how successful the club was on or off the field. Unlike the Bulls of Bradford Leeds didn't experience a wholesale reinvention, just a reversion to the mean followed, finally, by a period of genuine success, both of which I would argue would have happened anyway.

Some have merits as people have said but i personally think the american style names just aren't as fashionable anymore..........they do sound a bit tacky in some instances especially bolted onto traditional well know clubs........Personally i really dislike 'Widnes Vikings'.........it just sounds naff even though the logo is actually pretty smart.

It's different over in the states as they've always had snazzy names.........same in the NRL.

It works fine for newer clubs............Coventry Bears for example or Catalan Dragons but traditional clubs such as Huddersfield, Widnes, Warrington & Wigan don't really need anything bolting on for me.

I personally don't like Rhinos either but it's clearly taken off........The fans use it in plenty of their chants.

This year Fev are dropping 'Bluebeard' altogether and we're getting a new mascot (something far more relevant to the town and it's history but i can't say what yet - It's not whippet in a flat cap!!!) and keeping a more traditional looking brand.

Personally i like teams to use monikers a little more relevant to who they are and where they are from.........Dewsbury Rams works well for example.

england_identity2.jpg1921_button.jpg

Archived