Football

The Clark Carlisle documentary on Depression in professional footballers is really good. It must apply to our sport as well.

It was a good programme, a small wedge into the silence on the subject in football.

It does apply to rugby league as well, Chris Westwood did an outstanding interview/article in RLW in 2010 on Paul Whatuira's breakdown.  Then you have Terry Newton.

I wonder how many people have died or suffered unduly due to people in sport being too embarrassed to talk about it or being told by others to "just snap out of it".

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

It was a good programme, a small wedge into the silence on the subject in football.

It does apply to rugby league as well, Chris Westwood did an outstanding interview/article in RLW in 2010 on Paul Whatuira's breakdown.  Then you have Terry Newton.

I wonder how many people have died or suffered unduly due to people in sport being too embarrassed to talk about it or being told by others to "just snap out of it".

Yes, it's part of life. Sports people may face particular kinds of pressures associated with injuries, fears about the future, the pressures of competition, success and failure etc but they also experience the same life events that affect other people before, during and after their sporting careers. Paul Whatuira's experience being an example of the impact of events that happened when he was a child, which had an impact as an adult while he was playing as a professional RL player.

There's pressure on sportsmen to be Alpha Males and never show weakness. The damage this can do to someone who's suffering inwardly can be severe, as they try to suppress their problems.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 2 weeks later...

Striking a blow for equality England's women put in three matches of huff and puff, and are taken to the cleaners by foreigners with superior skills.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

From another forum, someone posted this yesterday - food for thought: "Should they fail to get a win, we will have spent the summer going through the Men's U20s World Cup, the Men's European U21s Championships and the Ladies European Championships without registering a single win, let alone progressing past the group stages."

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

From another forum, someone posted this yesterday - food for thought: "Should they fail to get a win, we will have spent the summer going through the Men's U20s World Cup, the Men's European U21s Championships and the Ladies European Championships without registering a single win, let alone progressing past the group stages."

And U19s as well, I think.

EDIT

Although I may have made that up.

Edited by gingerjon

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Frank Lampard, who is currently promoting his new book, being introduced on Radio 5: "he's not the first Footballer to write a children's book, but he may be the first to have done so intentionally". :D

Shame fat Frank didn't write it.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Nice to see that women professional footballers can dive as blatantly as the men. Also nice to see that the women referees fall for it as much as the male ones.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Pleased Germany won. Bit dull in terms of variety but thought Norway's approach was so negative overall.

Yes, it's part of life. Sports people may face particular kinds of pressures associated with injuries, fears about the future, the pressures of competition, success and failure etc but they also experience the same life events that affect other people before, during and after their sporting careers. Paul Whatuira's experience being an example of the impact of events that happened when he was a child, which had an impact as an adult while he was playing as a professional RL player.

That is an excellent point

And as you say Paul's story exemplifies it

I don't think that sport's people are any more prone to depression than anyone else

They have the same kind of life background as anyone else and the effects are the same or not the same since we are all different

Depression is all about a person's idea of themselves and that idea becoming catastrophically negative

Just because you are well known and materially well off and/ or good at what you do it makes no difference

Chris W

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

I don't think that sport's people are any more prone to depression than anyone else

They have the same kind of life background as anyone else and the effects are the same or not the same since we are all different

Depression is all about a person's idea of themselves and that idea becoming catastrophically negative

Just because you are well known and materially well off and/ or good at what you do it makes no difference

Chris W

not necessarily

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

Chris W

not necessarily

I'd be interested in your thoughts

Keeping it local

I'd be interested in your thoughts

well there is grief related for one.

It's a massive stigma though. I know a matye who is going through a form of depression but won't go to the doctors as he doesn't want to be labelled as having depression. My thought when I initially had it was, I hate this I want to get out of it. As L'ang says that was basically down to my interpreation of views I sought help to get me out of it. Who gives a monkeys if you may label yourself that you have depression so long as you can see the light and may need help to get there.

I saw the Clarke Carlisle docu and thought it was humbling. well put together. Tried to locate his Racism docu but couldn't find it.

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

well there is grief related for one.

It's a massive stigma though. I know a matye who is going through a form of depression but won't go to the doctors as he doesn't want to be labelled as having depression. My thought when I initially had it was, I hate this I want to get out of it. As L'ang says that was basically down to my interpreation of views I sought help to get me out of it. Who gives a monkeys if you may label yourself that you have depression so long as you can see the light and may need help to get there.

I saw the Clarke Carlisle docu and thought it was humbling. well put together. Tried to locate his Racism docu but couldn't find it.

well grief can generate feelings of guilt and inadequacy which are associated with depression

being very sad over something bad that has happend is not depression

but is still a major personal issue

depression revolves around a catastrophically negative self image

associated with overhwelming feelings of guilt, inadequacy, uselessness,shame,  worthlessness, unworthiness and so on

it is absolutely imperative to get help and support from outside

Keeping it local

Surprised to see the news that Marlon King has been arrested again!

Marlon King-he's no prince!

IIRC, King has been convicted for a driving offence previously. Given his record with other convictions and prison sentences, the implications for him are serious if he is found guilty of an offence of failing to stop, or whatever the legal definition is...

Obviously the important matter is the health of the chap who was injured in the hit and run.