End of Season Run In

Dave Naylor

There's a 7 point gap now between the two halves of the Championship.  The top six clubs are battling to get in the middle-eights, the bottom clubs fighting the relegation battle.

Two top-half teams will join us in the Championship Shield after the regular season concludes. The lowest placed club (Featherstone) is already on 22 points so I would argue that they are effectively safe. 

I've looked at the remaining fixtures of the bottom 6 to try and predict where we'll be when the 7 Championship games begin.  At that point I'll do another assessment.

The criteria I've applied is as follows:

• A top 6 team will beat a bottom 6 team home and away.
  • A bottom 6 team will beat a bottom 6 team at home.

Applying that thinking to the final regular season table, this is what I find:

Pts
7.  Dewsbury     18
8.  Swinton      15
9.  Sheffield    14
10. Oldham       14
11. Whitehaven   13
12. Workington    9

Of course things may not work out according to plan.  We could beat Sheffield tomorrow, Leigh may rest players for the final few games etc so I'll adjust the table after each of the remaining 4 rounds.

Do me that finishing 10th,  gives us both Cumbrian teams and Dewsbury at home if it pans out that way. sounds bad to be thinking which of the bottom places are best but believe me it will be a huge advantage to the team finishing 10th playing both teams below that position at home, could be the difference in survival and doom.

I have a feeling Workington have too much to do and it will come down to a scrap between Whitehaven oldham and Swinton. My guess is both Cumbrian teams which would be a shame to have nothing from their area but hey ho we have Canada and Toulose to look forward to in the near future.

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

Like any sport we need a settled side to be successful. Sadly, our link with Huddersfield could cost us if we don't have the likes of Leeming, Brown and Dickenson for these final games. Leeming is a class act and he always makes a massive difference and could be the difference to our chances of staying up.

I will also settle for 10th and sadly see the Cumbrian sides relegated.

Finishing 10th would be fine and dandy by me.However it pans out,it's going to be a bumpy,buttock clenching ride.Fingers crossed the lads can do it.To go back down would be heartbreaking considering the jubilation and joy of last season's promotion victory over Keighley. Antisuperleague is right,we need a settled side for this most important period of the season. It's good to read the injury situation has improved.Players coming back from injury at this stage would be a welcome tonic and give Scott more options.

Missing two good forwards in Middlehurst and Spencer but still have enough hopefully to get us away from the bottom two. I too would be gutted to go down to League 1, Championship rugby has been great. ;)

Cut off date for DR players is the 22nd July,players must have made 8 appearances for the club to qualify to play in the eights, looks like we won't have Leeming,Wood or Dickinson for the eights then, only player I think who qualifies is Johnson so far, be a big ask to not have any extra DR players in that crucial period. I don't know how it works bringing loan players in. We could do with some cover though.

Finishing 10th was my target this year,cracking win tonight too..win our two home games against swinton & workington and we should be safe..might even creep up a place or two..which means more money next year

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

Finishing 10th was my target this year,cracking win tonight too..win our two home games against swinton & workington and we should be safe..might even creep up a place or two..which means more money next year

But correct me if I'm wrong you're not safe then are you? There's the final eight play off games. Finish tenth after them and you're safe or are am I misinformed?

But correct me if I'm wrong you're not safe then are you? There's the final eight play off games. Finish tenth after them and you're safe or are am I misinformed?

Ah ..forgot about the stupid 8s

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

So with every round 20 game going according to the criteria, apart from our own of course, my predicted final table remains the same.

Pts
7.  Dewsbury     18
8.  Oldham       16
9.  Swinton      15
10. Whitehaven   13
11. Sheffield    12
12. Workington    9

Archived