What Are You Listening To - The Reckoning

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

defiant300.jpg

The Defiant.

Cracking new album released by The Men They Couldn't Hang through Pledge Music.

No.427 in the list of bands you thought weren't around any more... I was flicking through the vinyl the other day and found my 12" singles of 'IronMasters' and 'Green Fields of France'.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

No.427 in the list of bands you thought weren't around any more... I was flicking through the vinyl the other day and found my 12" singles of 'IronMasters' and 'Green Fields of France'.

I've been a fan of TMTCH since I saw the video of The Colours on The Chart Show waaaay back when. Heard once, immediate impact. Now that's a song!

They keep splitting up, then getting back together and always kept missing their opportunity for a big breakthrough due to various inter-band mishaps and record company misjudgements.

This new album is to celebrate their 30th anniversary, and it is very, very good. Better than I anticipated, tbh. Pledge Music is great for bands like this, with a small but enthusiastic following, as they can still put new music out and make something back without needing a record company.

I've seen them live twice in the past year and though Cush's voice verges on Dalek on the high notes these days (which the album production smooths over quite well), Swill is still in fine voice. They're still a great night out with a rousing back catalogue; Ironmasters, Green Fields of France, The Colours, The Ghosts of Cable Street (my fave track of theirs), Scarlet Ribbons, Shirt of Blue, Bounty Hunter, Smugglers, Rosettes... I could go on!! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Just pre-ordered this - Todd Rundgren at the BBC - but am slightly disturbed by the "Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought" section.  :O

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Kylie's stuff is absolutely brilliant, not that her being half Welsh has clouded my judgement.

;)

...but she operates at something of a stylistic tangent to Todd, you must admit.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I don't really know much about Todd Rundgren's music apart from I Saw the Light, which is a classic track.

However, it's a fairly safe bet that most male music buffs of my generation would prefer to get into Kylie than Todd.

;)

Edited by Wolford6

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

Got my hat trick on the Chain on Radcliffe & Maconie last Monday with this

Wonderful song, and when I showed my mate the video last year he went

"chuffing hell mate, that's your wife dressed as Margot Leadbetter"

:D

Guitar hero time! Leslie West at 'Night of the Guitars', dedicating a Jack Bruce song to Felix Pappalardi, bassist and occasional vocalist for Mountain.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

The wonderful Albert Lee in Saltaire last night.

Indescribably good.

And when they found our shadows

Grouped around the TV sets

They ran down every lead

They repeated every test

They checked out all the data on their lists

And then the alien anthropologists

Admitted they were still perplexed

But on eliminating every other reason

For our sad demise

They logged the only explanation left

This species has amused itself to death

No tears to cry no feelings left

The wonderful Albert Lee in Saltaire last night.

Indescribably good.

Albert's a great technician but I've often thought his playing lacks soul! He's the country equivalent of all those terribly tedious Metal guitar players like Eddie Van Halen. I'd still stand watching open mouthed mind!

Albert's a great technician but I've often thought his playing lacks soul! He's the country equivalent of all those terribly tedious Metal guitar players like Eddie Van Halen. I'd still stand watching open mouthed mind!

I saw him with Bill Wyman's band not so long ago. He was having a ball. It was a very good night.

I'm going to down Johnny Winter's new and last album in a bit

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

Which is pretty much what I did for two hours last night.

Thing about Albert is that he is extremely versatile as well as technically brilliant. Over the years I've seen him with Clapton, the Everlys, Rhythm Kings and Hogan's Heroes, and he always looks supremely comfortable and to be having a great time. At 70 his powers seem undiminished, long may he continue.

They ran down every lead

They repeated every test

For our sad demise

I mentioned to some friends last night that Albert Lee was playing at Saltaire. They'd never heard of him. I said he used to play with  Emmylou Harris and they'd never heard of her either.

Mind you, it's only tonight that I've learnt that he played with Clapton.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

I mentioned to some friends last night that Albert Lee was playing at Saltaire. They'd never heard of him. I said he used to play with  Emmylou Harris and they'd never heard of her either.

Not even the oriental version?

Albert's always been a bit under the radar because he hasn't had a hugely successful solo career. Rolling Stone magazine even managed to omit him from their top 100 guitarists, probably because the idiots who write it also hadn't heard of him.

He's known as the guitarist's guitarist, revered by the host of more famous players he's performed and recorded with over the past fifty-odd years. What he was doing playing a tiny social club in Saltaire I have no idea, I guess he just loves gigging.

They ran down every lead

They repeated every test

For our sad demise

This is cool if you like the Decemberists kind of thing....

Edit - meant to say what a talent the lead vocalist/violinist is, that's got to be quite unusual.

She's better looking than Charlie Daniels, that's for sure...

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Has anyone listened to the new U2 album which Apple gifted to everyone with an iTunes account (whether they wanted it or not) last week? Any thoughts?

I haven't had chance to listen yet. I'm not one of those who'll turn my nose up at it, as I have quite a few (actually, pretty much all now I come to think) of their previous albums which I've bought and paid for, but I find I tend to invest a bit more effort in stuff I've had to pay for than stuff I've been given free.

I'm at a loss to understand why so many people are moaning and groaning about getting something for nothing, when so many expect music to be free anyway these days.

Never could stand Mr B.Vox, Mr T.Edge and the two Mr Otherblokes, personally. I don't own any iGear, so I haven't had their dreary, self-important wibblings inflicted on me this time.

Ralph Waldo Emerson