Food and drink thread

I've never made pasta; I enjoy cooking (and eating), but that's just over that tipping point of "too much faff". It's something I might do once, but not make a habit of.

"00" flour, egg or two. Mix. (edit: Knead. Rest.) Roll.

I think.

Edited by hindle xiii

I've been making my own bread for the last couple of months (inspired by Paul Hollywood). Got it down to a fine art where I can knock out a pretty decent loaf with not much effort time wise. I also make rolls, focaccia and pizzas using the same basic recipe.

Fides invicta triumphat

I used to bake bread quite a lot, but only had time to do it on weekends. These days, if I bake, I make soda bread which is much quicker.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I got 4 naga chillies for a quid from Otley market, they're only small though, about the size of the top of a thumb. And not the bigger ones seen elsewhere, which are around the size of a full thumb. I fried one up and was a little disappointed. So I think I may put the other 3 in a slap-dash homemade chilli sauce. Raw.

2 ended up going in and cooked.

That was daft.

I've never made pasta; I enjoy cooking (and eating), but that's just over that tipping point of "too much faff". It's something I might do once, but not make a habit of.

If you can make your own bread, pasta is childs play. It is incomparably better than the bought supermarket 'fresh' stuff.

Oh, and don't believe what they tell you - you can use regular milled multi-purpose white flour. Whether 00 or regular flour, use one medium egg per 100g flour. Add a little olive oil to the flour and if you need to (very) small amounts of luke warm water. Knead well, it should be quite stiff. Rest for 1/2 hour before rolling. Keep folding and putting through until silky. You could add something like whole sage leaves on the last fold!

bought one of those machines

tried it once: big #### about

back of cupboard

followed by Meanwood Road tip

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

I used to bake bread quite a lot, but only had time to do it on weekends. These days, if I bake, I make soda bread which is much quicker.

I make bread a lot.

I us a bread maker to knock up the dough and take it from there. Less mess, less #### about-perfectly good dough.

Keeping it local

I make bread a lot.

I us a bread maker to knock up the dough and take it from there. Less mess, less #### about-perfectly good dough.

Bread makers are an expensive way to avoid kneading, and a lot less fun.

I used to male my own pasta but our kitchen now doesn't have a stretch of work top where I can fix the machine to.

Fides invicta triumphat

I must have an underlying dislike for long haired male chefs, because not only does Adrian Richardson from Secret Meat Business annoy the heck out of me, but so does Nigel Slater!

Everything is so sickly sweet camp fluffy nice with him, it really winds me up!

Caramelised red onion bangers for tea!  Might indulge myself and sling a couple of free range eggs in as well.

Washing the ensemble down with a cheeky red from Cases de Pene (two litres of which cost me a packet of sausages this morning).

Still absolutely no sign of a diet here.  If anyone sees my feet please let me know how they are.   :ph34r:

I must have an underlying dislike for long haired male chefs, because not only does Adrian Richardson from Secret Meat Business annoy the heck out of me, but so does Nigel Slater!

Absolutely. Slater is so wet.

Fides invicta triumphat

Bread makers are an expensive way to avoid kneading, and a lot less fun.

I used to male my own pasta but our kitchen now doesn't have a stretch of work top where I can fix the machine to.

Maybe

It's just that I'd rather be doing other things and I'm safe in the knowledge that its been done properly. I get the pleasure from what I do with the dough when it's prepared: the bread maker cost me nothing.

I always thought there was something a little unhygienic about pasta machines all those nooks and crannies as well as the aforementioned #### abouts

Keeping it local

Yes, yes, file it under so wrong but so right.......

...not one, but two fray bentos pies about to head tummy wards.   B)

Daughter used to tell me off for buying those.

Now she's moved out I can enjoy such guilty pleasures in peace again.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

Isn't that what they put on chips in 'ull?

:biggrin: 

Reminds me of my mate's verdict on Marston's Pedigree.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

Noticed in Waitrose last night - they are now stocking Penderyn Welsh whisky. I had some a few years ago, but had problems finding it in the shops* 'til now.

*short of trekking into central London to visit the estimable Millroys.

That stuff is absolutely gorgeous.

Nigel Slater, long-haired? Well, more hair than me, but long-haired?

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Nigel Slater, long-haired? Well, more hair than me, but long-haired?

I think it depends on what series it is!

If a fringe approaches or reaches eye-brows then I consider it long hair on a chap, it's long to me when my hair does anyway!

I think it depends on what series it is!

If a fringe approaches or reaches eye-brows then I consider it long hair on a chap, it's long to me when my hair does anyway!

I think Slater's a bit of a stiff on-screen, and he's better in print than on TV.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I'm really going off meat lately and am seriously thinking of becoming a vegetarian. Or at least not eating meat

I'm finding that I'm eating a lot less meat recently. Partly this is due to the cost of responsibly sourced meat but also to keep my calorie intake under control. I joke about vegetarians but I'm really only refer to the militant type who have a right bee in their bonnet about someone else's choice to eat meat. 

Fides invicta triumphat

Right, thinking caps on ladies and gents. I'm making some crumpets from scratch later today and tomorrow, but I'm struggling to find chef rings to fry them in. I thought about chopping up a couple of tin cans into hoops. Apparently this isn't a good idea and I could get poisoned.

Is this true?