Oh no! not this stuff again!

I know this is an old chestnut but unlike some of those this one needs a regular airing. I thought about why there are so many matches and I’ve always known there are too many. Economic demands, differing traditions of competitions, representative opportunities (the one that gets lost in the post), insistence on playing teams home and away etc. But surely this is the first thing we should be changing for all the right reasons. Player welfare should come first of course, but there are a lot of other very important considerations too. If we want internationals and events like the WCC or any kind of big event or anything strategic they need to be first on the calendar. After that a simple home then away pattern of fixtures and then the number we actually have. And maybe we should be thinking of having no games at amateur or professional level when we have events? There are a lot of things I’ve not mentioned here which might help, this is just the starting point. Big events shouldn't be an after thought and squeezed in and around other things.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Are you suggesting less fixtures? If so where does the revenue come from to pay for the sport?

Cloud coockoo land TV of course. We've missed the boat on internationals being the pinnacle of the sport and some folk can't accept that we will never be able to wrest control away from the club game.

Are you suggesting less fixtures? If so where does the revenue come from to pay for the sport?

Okay let's not bother with it then!

Cloud coockoo land TV of course. We've missed the boat on internationals being the pinnacle of the sport and some folk can't accept that we will never be able to wrest control away from the club game.

Okay let's just give up !

I must admit I expected more debate but maybe you're  right about TGG after all! The used to be the greatest game!

If we continue with so many fixtures where will the players come from to fulfill them?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

We could have the same number of fixtures but place a restriction on the number of games each player can play...

i definitely think this is the way to go in tougher and tougher seasons with more games. Of course there are tgen challenges about demands on fans but thats where we need to get new fans on board instead of asking the same people to attend every event.

Cutting games would be the last thing on my agenda. Quite the opposite in fact. Give me more RL to watch.

Okay let's just give up !

I must admit I expected more debate but maybe you're right about TGG after all! The used to be the greatest game!

Club or internationals.....its still TGG....its just us fans that aren't so great..,.. Unless there's cheap tickets or a special offer.

Club or internationals.....its still TGG....its just us fans that aren't so great..,.. Unless there's cheap tickets or a special offer.

It's funny how often you make it sound like there's no hope, will never be any progress, and no possibility for change as well as finding something wrong almost everywhere and then say it's TGG like that alone make it all alright!

What is your view of the game's chances of survival and thriving? Do you see anything positive if TGG's future?

I see internationals and expansion and a well marketed SL and events as the only alternatives to slow decline and extinction. But no matter how many of your posts I read I can't remember an awful lot of positives and certainly no offers towards solutions! And saying it's the fans fault for liking to be able to afford to go to things is not that great an argument, TBPH!

These questions were never answered! And so it goes!

We could have the same number of fixtures but place a restriction on the number of games each player can play...

This.

I love my rugby league. I love watching more games. Who would want to watch less as a fan?

Instead of reducing fixtures, reduce the number of games players can play and have bigger squads. It's not rocket science.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

This.

I love my rugby league. I love watching more games. Who would want to watch less as a fan?

Instead of reducing fixtures, reduce the number of games players can play and have bigger squads. It's not rocket science.

Where does the money come from for these larger squads, its all about the money, you can tinker all around the edges but the problem is still going to be cash.

Extra fixtures and larger squads just spreads too thin.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Archived