Rugby League World - New Issue Out Now!

rlw_jul16_600.jpg

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 423 (JULY 2016) - ONLINE NOW, IN SHOPS FRIDAY 24th JUNE.

Frank 'The Tank' Pritchard is our cover star and the Hull FC forward talks to us about his career so far and plans for a first-season title with the Black & Whites.

We investigate the pitfalls of club legends hanging up their boots and giving coaching a go, uncover the secret world of the ten-percenters, ask if our refs are up to scratch and why more British Asians don't play Rugby League.

Our regular columnists Alex Walmsley, Eorl Crabtree, Steve Mascord and Dave Hadfield have their say on a range of topics and Michael Shenton catches up with former RLW columnist turned Sky TV pundit Jon Wells.

Fax star Adam Tangata talks about swapping the Cook Islands for The Shay, and Brett Ferres picks his Dream XIII.

We scour the Championship for the best talent in our second tier scouting report and get to know Widnes new boy Jack Buchanan.

All this and lots more besides in another packed issue!

Rugby League World magazine is published every month, available on print subscription (worldwide) and online for desktop, tablet and smartphone
Follow us on Twitter/X @rlworld / Instagram @rlworld / Threads @rlworld
Like us on Facebook - facebook.com/rugbyleagueworld

Frank hasn't done too many crowd pleasing things, but he gets through a lot of work and he chews up the metres.

Just a quick comparison. Frank is averaging 116 metres per game. The much lauded (and deservedly so) Ben Currie averages 90. Mike McMeeken 80 and Glenn Stewart 66.

I thought it was a good read this month, some interesting articles.

Enjoyed the article on player agents, the one on referees, the article about Asian participation and as always I opened it up first at the global news with Mascord and Planet League etc.

I also thought the Michael Shenton article with Jon Wells was good which is a refreshing change as I think the player columns are usually terrible, and I think RLW need to review these going forward, Walmsley this month was bad!

The one area that did confuse me was the 'the big issue' on county matches returning. Highlighted on the front cover as a special report but ended up being soundbotes from three players/coaches all of whom were in favour. Almost felt it was half finished and a bit dated.

Ideas for the future - I think it would be good to look in detail at the RFL's strategic plan that is being discussed at length in another thread and i'd also like RLW to review the 4 Nations article from last month again, as per my comments in that issues thread.

Strategic Plan Thread

http://www.totalrl.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=287627&page=3#entry3358283

4N Comments

http://www.totalrl.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=285935#entry3351776

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

My issue arrived promptly and Im enjoying it. I agree with a lot of what OO said above. Really enjoyed and wouldve liked to have read much more about agents. I actually read a whole book on soccer agents and that was pretty interesting (The NOwhere Men). John WElls interview was good. I thought you may have contacted Ikky Butt to find out about all the stuff he's been doing.

But: The County of Origin game? Sheesh. Some of the player columns struggling for anything interesting to say. And that random league stuff. I never like those because they get very unfunny very quickly.

I also thought the Michael Shenton article with Jon Wells was good which is a refreshing change as I think the player columns are usually terrible, and I think RLW need to review these going forward, Walmsley this month was bad!

A great post – and I agree with this in particular It has got a lot better though when RLW had its relaunch last year, it was trumpeted as a new “voice of the players”, and I don’t mind that but the trouble is a lot of them have nothing much to say.

At one point at the start of the year some player’s columns were rebuttles of a different player’s column an issue before, which in turn was a response to a third different player column a month before that! Would have much preferred them to all weigh in on a topic at once. The problem with so many player columns can be you get the similar topics coming up time and again without much difference in opinion.

Since the relaunch, a lot of columns have been dropped (or rested) – Hall, Carney, Brierley and Offiah (his column only lasted two issues) are the ones that come to mind immediately. All for the mag being interactive and getting feedback, but the constant reminders that we can suggest topics for some players to write about could be taken that ideas for topics for players to talk about are thin on the ground.

Agree Walmsley could be dropped too. To me I’d only keep Shenton (whose column has changed into JJB’s old interviewing an RL figure column, something that should never have been dropped to start with) and Crabtree. All for player’s having a voice and an outlet in RL media, but if they are a recurring feature I’d hope they would come to the mag with their balance heavily on their own ideas and opinions rather than being forced to have an opinion on something they aren’t that passionate about. A delicate balance, I’m aware.

Having said that, I am still thoroughly enjoying the mag every month!

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

I thought you may have contacted Ikky Butt to find out about all the stuff he's been doing.

We tried but he was unavailable to speak in the timescale available.

This is something we will try to follow up in future.

How did Frank Pritchard do last night ??

Jeez, what is wrong with you?

I'm often classed by people that know me as a bit of a negative Hull FC fan but you really take the biscuit.

With Halloween coming up I decided to go to my local fancy dress shop to see if I could get a Dracula costume. After a few minutes the assistant handed me a Hull KR shirt asking "Is this suitable?", I replied "I think you may have misheard me, I said I wanted to look like a count."

Jeez, what is wrong with you?

I'm often classed by people that know me as a bit of a negative Hull FC fan but you really take the biscuit.

I'm just a realistic fan, if he signed for KR or any other club for that matter and had the same type of season the FC fans would be laughing there heads off!!! So just because he plays for the club you follow doesn't mean he hasn't been poor. Too many fans are fickle and need to see that he has been below par dare I say hulls "marquee' signing and he's been way way off. Thompson Hadley Minichello and Ellis have been far far better then him. Imo he's 5th choice in the back row. Washbrook has been a lot better aswel

I'm just a realistic fan, if he signed for KR or any other club for that matter and had the same type of season the FC fans would be laughing there heads off!!! So just because he plays for the club you follow doesn't mean he hasn't been poor. Too many fans are fickle and need to see that he has been below par dare I say hulls "marquee' signing and he's been way way off. Thompson Hadley Minichello and Ellis have been far far better then him. Imo he's 5th choice in the back row. Washbrook has been a lot better aswel

It's his first season, he's got to get used to the weather, food, different lifestyles and different rugby as well.

I've not been blown away with his performances but I don't think he's anywhere near as bad as you portray.

You ask "How did Frank Pritchard do last night?", when I presume you watched the game so have the knowledge he went off injured.

You seem to go out of your way to be negative, would you rather we had Terry Campese "playing" for us seeing as you seem to want to draw comparisons?

With Halloween coming up I decided to go to my local fancy dress shop to see if I could get a Dracula costume. After a few minutes the assistant handed me a Hull KR shirt asking "Is this suitable?", I replied "I think you may have misheard me, I said I wanted to look like a count."

Archived