Its been a few years since there has been much going on in Germany domestically. We had wanted a 3 team 9s event but the numbers from the travelling teams meant that we decided to have a 12 v 12 game instead in Gnarrenburg today. From a disappointment we still had positives. NRW Broncos (Players from the Dortmund, Bochum, Münster area which is in the State of Nordrhein Westfalen (NRW) beat hosts Karlshöfen 26-54. The NRW team, featuring a number of the German National team, had too much experience and better fitness than Karlshöfen who gave everything. With temperature of over 30c the game was split in to quarters. The game saw Bob Doughton and injured National player Jannek Hagenah Ref the game. In development Rugby we get many disappointments and its a fight most of the time that tests you out. But the action of today makes that all worthwhile. The next domestic action in Germany will be on 25th July in Dortmund.

Best of luck! It's been hard work for our German pioneers, and will be hard work for some time to come.

But at least Lounge Room Lizard hasn't been jailed (as far as we know) for playing TGG.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Some really good news. Well, I seriously had to look at google maps to locate Karlshöfen and Gnarrenburg. In terms of setting up teams and competitions do you think that the North of Germany is the future of RL in Germany? Wouldn't it be much easier to tap traditional rugby cities like Hannover, Heidelberg, or Frankfurt? People in these cities are aware of a sport called Rugby (mostly RU). It might be easier to attract players (and fans) who know Rugby and it might be easier to find rugby players who would like to test themselves in both codes. This is just a thought...

Some really good news. Well, I seriously had to look at google maps to locate Karlshöfen and Gnarrenburg. In terms of setting up teams and competitions do you think that the North of Germany is the future of RL in Germany? Wouldn't it be much easier to tap traditional rugby cities like Hannover, Heidelberg, or Frankfurt? People in these cities are aware of a sport called Rugby (mostly RU). It might be easier to attract players (and fans) who know Rugby and it might be easier to find rugby players who would like to test themselves in both codes. This is just a thought...

You need people in them places to develop it and we dont have people there. The other thing is we have tried in Heidelberg and had many problems with certain Union people there. Trying to promote the Sport in a big City like Frankfurt is difficult because first of all the costs of hiring a place are high as many people want a Sportsground. The other thing is the local press are not really interested as so many things going on plus we dont have anybody in Frankfurt anyway to develop it. Most of our contacts are in the North as well as a few individuals in the South.

You need to get hold of these people and introduce them to rugby league.Persuade them that it's a better sport for the spectator. Rugby league players are generally fitter than our union cousins due to the type of training that needs to be done.Get them watching NRL in Australia and superleague in Britain. Good luck

Our relationship with the Union People has not been great. We have had instances of People pulling down Posters, storming in to Dressing rooms and threatening Players that they and their Club will suffer if they Play, Union People going to a Town and trying to stop games going ahead as well as misinformation by some People being spread about us. Union Clubs deliberately moving games to clash with ours is not something new. The 7s and beach Rugby is very much now promoted in Summer here and so we dont really go after Union Players as such. A number of Players Play other sports like Handball and American Football. Kevin Rudd who was head of the RLEF was told to Keep his nose out when he tried to help sort things out. On the other Hand we have had other Union People who have been very open with us and have tried to help where they can.

Who are the union types giving you hassle?  Is it actually the DRV officials - or just some randoms from union clubs?  I know the TD and the Gen secretary of the DRV (as well as the coach of the national team) and would be surprised (I must say) if they are acting up in the way you describe.

Would be interested to know who is behind this.

Rugby League: Alive and Handling

A few years ago it was the former President Claus Peter Bach that I think got stroppy with Kevin Rudd and ourselves. In 2007 in Heidelberg, one of the Coaches of the national Team stormed into the dressing room and made threats to certain players. Cant remember his name anymore.At the attitude was always we dont want Rugby League in Germany. We have not had any contact with the DRV for a couple of years so cant say what the attitude is like.

Often its officials/Coaches from some of the Union Clubs that dont want there Players playing Rugby League or want 100% for them to Play Union- which for me is stupid as most players are amateurs and can do what they want. We recently has 2 Players told by a Union Club near Bochum to leave as they went on a League course, instead of playing a Union game- even though they allegedly said 2 weeks before they would not be playing. Its like there is a fear that they will lose their little empire and will go to any lengths to protect it. Some Clubs have moved games to Dates we had set a side so that the Players have to choose between League and Union. Personally think it is pathetic, as both sports would achieve more by working together, instead of working against each other.

You need to get hold of these people and introduce them to rugby league.Persuade them that it's a better sport for the spectator. Rugby league players are generally fitter than our union cousins due to the type of training that needs to be done.Get them watching NRL in Australia and superleague in Britain. Good luck

I absolutely agree but it is really difficult to watch NRL and SL matches in Germany in public places to spread the sport. Only Irish pubs broadcast english/irish TV like SKY UK, BBC, RTE to some extent. Since PremierSports has the NRL rights you can't find a pub that covers the NRL. Although they have SKY UK and BBC I never ever have seen any SL match on a big screen. Even during the RLWC it was tough to persuade them to bring the RLWC on big screens. So it is a massive challenge...

@Lounge Room Lizard

you then have a tough job given the difficulties you face.

As I understand there are currently 2 teams set up. Wouldn't it make sense to join the Netherland/Belgium competition? You then don't have to set up a German competition, it would further strengthen the NL/B mini competition and your/German players get game practice.

In terms of travelling expenses and time it should be ok. I assume it's a 2h drive for NRW Broncos to head to Rotterdam, Hague, Amsterdam and for Karlshöfen probably 4h.

It seems to me that some of the best expansion has come in countries where the game is being set up completely independantly from Union, with one code clubs using public parks or soccer facilites e.g. Serbia, Spain. While piggy-backing on a Union club may bring short term gains of easy access to facilities and players, I wonder whether the clubs will ever grow beyond a summer training camp for Union players in the long run.

@Lounge Room Lizard

you then have a tough job given the difficulties you face.

As I understand there are currently 2 teams set up. Wouldn't it make sense to join the Netherland/Belgium competition? You then don't have to set up a German competition, it would further strengthen the NL/B mini competition and your/German players get game practice.

In terms of travelling expenses and time it should be ok. I assume it's a 2h drive for NRW Broncos to head to Rotterdam, Hague, Amsterdam and for Karlshöfen probably 4h

For us playing in April is not really a good option for a few reasons like pitch availability as often Soccer etc have first choice and in summer its easier and cheaper. The other thing is we have been encouraged to build our own comp which we are doing via 9s as it helps give not just new players but match officials a better way to develop, Since we restarted at the end of last year we have slowly been building our numbers and we probably will have 2 teams in the Dortmund/Osnabrück area as well as another in Gnarrenburg and then we are hoping to use the interest shown by individuals elsewhere to help them in time have teams. 

Promote it First on Facebook and then elsewhere on the net after. We have had a good response since it was setup on Wednesday. 

It's on the LU forum which is where I came across it. You need to get it to as many places as possible as soon as possible. Unfortunately an amateur player has suffered a bad spinal injury and they are collecting for him at the moment. That doesn't come across very well. I don't mean to make it seem like the timing is unfortunate. It's the injury that's unfortunate.

rldfsignature.jpg

We wont collect it til start of next year so we can promote it again/More nearer the time.  Hope people support the injured player first as obviously he needs as much help as he can get. We have mainly stayed on Facebook as we have a growing number of Germans that have liked our page and its a great way to keep promoting what we are doing and involving them as much as possible. Since 2010 there has been next to know domestic activity and thats something we are very keen to change, as well as grow our German fan base as we believe its important to grow our product/Sport to Germans rather than just use the British/Australia fan base.

Archived