England launch bid for 2021 Rugby League World Cup (Merged threads)

#RLWC2021

• Record one million spectators targeted to attend 31 games across the country
  • Bid to include plans to host ‘Festival of Rugby League’ including Women’s and Wheelchair competitions
  • Government commit £15 million to support the bid to host the 2021 competition
  • A further £10m committed by Government for Rugby League Infrastructure in the North of England

The RFL has today confirmed that it will bid for England to host the Rugby League World Cup in 2021.
Following what was widely regarded as the most successful Rugby League World Cup ever in 2013, the RFL revealed their ambition to make 2021 the biggest and most watched tournament in the sports history targeting one million spectators, double the number achieved in 2013.
If the bid is successful, twelve stadiums across the country will be selected from a shortlist which will include a variety of Rugby League stadiums and a number of other iconic sporting venues such as Old Trafford, Etihad Stadium, St James’ Park and Wembley.
- See more at: http://www.rugby-league.com/article/37870/england-to-bid-for--rugby-league-world-cup#sthash.oP0hk3K5.dpuf

Check out upcoming international fixtures and highlights of past matches at http://rlfixtures.weebly.com

St Albans Centurions International Liaison Officer and former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is great and well in advance and by the RFL.

Maybe the bit of challenge to their position has bucked their ideas up. I hope so and here's to more news like this which should be the stand out item and banner headline everywhere!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Interesting news. One million spectators? Bl**dy hell Workington will need a temporary stand at the open end.

so basically more than doubling the crowds of the last World Cup. Very ambitious indeed, i like it.

Dunno how they will do it though as marketing doesnt work.

Really like the ambition of this proposal, this is exactly what we should be looking to go for.

Video shows grounds like Anfield, St James Park, Wembley, Old Trafford, Etihad etc. which is exactly what we will need to hit that ambitious target.

Exciting times.

This cropped up on Twitter as the proposed venue list

No love for Bristol? That was one of my favourite matches in 2013 (although that may have been more to do with the Kukis)

Check out upcoming international fixtures and highlights of past matches at http://rlfixtures.weebly.com

St Albans Centurions International Liaison Officer and former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

No love for Bristol? That was one of my favourite matches in 2013 (although that may have been more to do with the Kukis)

I know I'd have thought the southwest (or at least somewhere near the Welsh Borders) would have been considered, especially considering the apparent success last time.

So are they definitely going it alone? Or will they open up games to France, Wales, Ireland etc like last time? Surely France could host a group & quarter at least.

But very ambitious, if that venue list is true. I love it!

Also, potential competition to the bid?

Last time South Africa bid, maybe a joint bid from Canada/USA.. but hard to see them going past England, unless a LOT of money/guarantees are put on the table.

There is nobody else that can submit a viable bid that I can imagine.

Isn't it downunder then here, downunder then here every cycle?

Its more of an announcement than a bid .

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

Really like the ambition of this proposal, this is exactly what we should be looking to go for.

Video shows grounds like Anfield, St James Park, Wembley, Old Trafford, Etihad etc. which is exactly what we will need to hit that ambitious target.

Exciting times.

This is like "Would like some more good news with your good news,Sir?"

And still we've got fans(?) on here absolutely determined to find something to moan about!

What were you saying about lets enjoy the game everyone. Dave?

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

The only negative I think. We loved that steamy, noisy game. Sat behind a couple of Yanks who hadn't a clue but gave it their all. More please.

The RFL states 80% of World Cup games will be held in Lancashire and Yorkshire. All games are to take place in England too. So basically one or two games in London, one in Newcastle and maybe two in Manchester, with one in Coventry the rest in the heartlands...

Is that really spreading the game around the UK?

The RFL states 80% of World Cup games will be held in Lancashire and Yorkshire. All games are to take place in England too. So basically one or two games in London, one in Newcastle and maybe two in Manchester, with one in Coventry the rest in the heartlands...

Is that really spreading the game around the UK?

If they can get 1m fans thru the turnstiles then I don't care where they are played!!!

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

There is nobody else that can submit a viable bid that I can imagine.

Isn't it downunder then here, downunder then here every cycle?

Its more of an announcement than a bid .

Yehp, pretty much. It's all about byilding the brand up at the moment, which seems to be going amazingly well. Hopefully in 10-20 years we'll have built a tournament/product we'd be able to sell outside our current traditional heartlands. Hopefully with proposed RLIF Intercontinental Cups and World 9's we'll be able to test new ambitious markets and get them interested in bidding for a World Cup.

At the very least we should be trying to build to the 2033 World Cup in France (100 year celebration).

Yep, whatever it takes to get the big turnout. Happy with most fixtures in Yorks and Lancs. the games outside will be the bigger games anyway and reasonably accessible.

England only... I'm happy with that too.

Very pleased

Archived