NRL Grand Final. Sharks v Storm

Melbourne by 50 in the most one sided GF of all time, It's a classic case of a brilliant team playing a side the NRL decided should make a GF so they made that happen.

Seen a funny thing just recently, A ex North Queensland supporter changing his club to Cronulla because he's a glory hunter and whispers are he'll be changing again next season about this time of the year ;) once Cronulla revert back to there usual selves.

In the other games:

NYC: Panthers v Roosters

State Championship: Burleigh Bears v Illawarra Cutters

Illawarra Cutters are coached by ex-Wakefielder Jason Demetriou and captained by ex-Wirer and HKRer, Tyrone McCarthy. Together, Demetriou as coach and McCarthy as player have now won the NSW Cup and the QLD Cup (with the Northern Pride in 2014)

Melbourne by 50 in the most one sided GF of all time, It's a classic case of a brilliant team playing a side the NRL decided should make a GF so they made that happen.

Seen a funny thing just recently, A ex North Queensland supporter changing his club to Cronulla because he's a glory hunter and whispers are he'll be changing again next season about this time of the year ;) once Cronulla revert back to there usual selves.

You have the NRL totally corrupt and have rigged the season?

I follow the Cowboys, they do not appear to be in the Grand Final so I have to choose between the two teams in the Final.

Hows the Souths dynasty been going in the last couple of years?  ;)  I reckon they have dropped off because you have not been going to the games, as you can not be bothered attending games when they lose too often for your liking.

Which one are you Rabbits.

605564-scum.jpg

I have you down as the guy under the first "R"

p.s

Que the Cronulla team are all drug cheats and should be banned post... from Rabbits.

LOL

Its all good.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

What is annoying is the Sydney media desperately wanting an all NSW final, Ch9 were conspicuously biased against Storm and over bigged the Sharks in Fridays match , now I expect to see a lot of Shark attack headlines etc all week, noticed on the todays footy show they wanted to diss Storms attack but couldn't as Bellyache and Smith had already done so. The Sydney press have also been wrong footed by Smith saying very nice things about Gallen in the post match media talk

Storm still have room for more improvement whereas the Sharks have probably plateaued, but it will another high quality tough close game,

If you like old type radio comedy/drama's etc listen to http://pumpkinfm.com/

Looking forward to it. I haven't seen the Cronulla semi yet but I read it was a very dominant performance.

The Storm ground out he game against the Raiders and they are a very difficult team to beat.

I think I would prefer a Cronulla win as they are a very entertaining team (plus it has been a long wait for them).

Hope it's a good game.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Geez I must have hit a sore spot with poor old Allora, What's wrong surely your not like the fair weather Ex-cowboys fan I described above are you?

As I've told you about 2 dozen times I'm above the banner in that photo, Why are you so obsessed?

I've got no particularly strong feeling for or against either finallist, but a Cronulla win would be the bigger story, especially considering the mess they were not all that long ago.

Then again, Melbourne are such an impressive and united force.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Geez I must have hit a sore spot with poor old Allora, What's wrong surely your not like the fair weather Ex-cowboys fan I described above are you?

As I've told you about 2 dozen times I'm above the banner in that photo, Why are you so obsessed?

You are the one that decided to have a chop at me for no reason in post #4

I was joking about you being in the banner, you probably were not there at all.

If you were I would be ashamed to admit I was with a bunch of Mongs standing next to a banner like that, it embarrassed the South Sydney Club and the NRL / Sport in general if I recall correctly.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/south-sydney-rabbitohs-give-the-boot-to-member-over-####-banner/story-fni3gki8-1226718570947

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

What is annoying is the Sydney media desperately wanting an all NSW final, Ch9 were conspicuously biased against Storm and over bigged the Sharks in Fridays match , now I expect to see a lot of Shark attack headlines etc all week, noticed on the todays footy show they wanted to diss Storms attack but couldn't as Bellyache and Smith had already done so. The Sydney press have also been wrong footed by Smith saying very nice things about Gallen in the post match media talk

Storm still have room for more improvement whereas the Sharks have probably plateaued, but it will another high quality tough close game,

They couldn't have got one from this weekends semis anyway......

You are the one that decided to have a chop at me for no reason in post #4

I was joking about you being in the banner, you probably were not there at all.

If you were I would be ashamed to admit I was with a bunch of Mongs standing next to a banner like that, it embarrassed the South Sydney Club and the NRL / Sport in general if I recall correctly.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/south-sydney-rabbitohs-give-the-boot-to-member-over-####-banner/story-fni3gki8-1226718570947

Strange guy

What a wonderful NRL play-off series it has been. Superb matches with great crowds. The final will no doubt top things off in splendid fashion.

The Winfield Cup became the NRL with Brisbane, Melbourne, Newcastle and Auckland et al invited to the party and the game took off.

Play off crowds for 2016:

Melbourne-NQC  21,233

Canberra-Cronulla  25,292

Brisbane-Gold Coast  43,107

Canterbury-Penrith  22,631

NQC-Brisbane  23,804

Canberra-Penrith  21,496

Melbourne-Canberra  28,261

Cronulla-NQC  36,717

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

The Winfield Cup became the NRL with Brisbane, Melbourne, Newcastle and Auckland et al invited to the party and the game took off.

Play off crowds for 2016:

Melbourne-NQC  21,233

Canberra-Cronulla  25,292

Brisbane-Gold Coast  43,107

Canterbury-Penrith  22,631

NQC-Brisbane  23,804

Canberra-Penrith  21,496

Melbourne-Canberra  28,261

Cronulla-NQC  36,717

Brisbane, Newcastle and Auckland all played in the winfield cup prior to the NRL and super league wars along with Perth, North Queensland, South Queensland, Illawarra and Gold Coast. It's also very intriguing to read that in the final season of the winfield cup in 1995 saw a record aggregated attendances of over 3 million.

LionelHurst, on 25 Sept 2016 - 04:48 AM, said:

What a wonderful NRL play-off series it has been. Superb matches with great crowds. The final will no doubt top things off in splendid fashion.

For me its one of the great annual events in sport.  Absolutely riveting.

walter sobchak, on 25 Sept 2016 - 06:22 AM, said:

Brisbane, Newcastle and Auckland all played in the winfield cup prior to the NRL and super league wars along with Perth, North Queensland, South Queensland, Illawarra and Gold Coast. It's also very intriguing to read that in the final season of the winfield cup in 1995 saw a record aggregated attendances of over 3 million.

1995 had quite a few more games.  The average was considerably lower than this year or any recent year.

Channel 9 and Fox are both very much against the Melbourne Storm. Its lucky if you can get to see a Rugby League game on Free TV in Melbourne. So Channel 9 rarely show Melbourne games and dont care about the positives having them in the comp. With AFL as king in Melbourne Fox usually shove Melbourne home games on to a Monday night and usually if Melbourne are playing away its often not shown at all in Melbourne. With neither Ch 9 and Fox getting much out of the Storm they like to belittle them. WIth the Queensland trio it makes Gus Gould hate them even more. The likes of Gus Gould, Brad Fittler and Andrew Johns are the worst for being anti-Melbourne.

The Sydney media are the same and get no real benefit out of having a team in Melbourne. It hurts them even more that they have been so good and withe the strength of the Qld teams and no Sydney team being in the GF (I wouldnt really say Cronulla is Sydney) it hurts them more as less people in Sydney will read. So they have a downer on the Storm.

The NSWRL do not help matters and refuse to have a Melbourne/Victorian team in any comps. Thats why Melbourne use the Tigers and Falcons in the Queensland Cup so much. Its a shame that the game suffers from people who are blinded to see the benefits that Melbourne, NZ Warriors, North Queensland, Gold Coast bring. If the other 3 get success they will receive the same treatment. No wonder the game is not as strong as it should be when you have the very people who should be promoting it and talking it up publically doing the complete opposie. The same goes for the International game. Ch 9 and Fox do not care and do little to promote it. PNG v PM XIII with full crowds etc was not shown anywhere in Australia- a disgrace for me.

Channel 9 pays about 70% of the total NRL TV deals. The only way they can make money on that investment is to maximise ratings on the products available. Clearly that means pandering to the Sydney and Brisbane RL markets - the biggest urban RL markets in the World. To interpret that as some kind of vendetta against your own non-Sydney/non-Broncos team is to ignore the commercial reality of NRL.

We could easily have a situation where the teams are rotated through the various time slots so that each team gets the same number of Friday games, Sunday games, etc. The first step: Players take a 50% pay cut because the value of the TV rights has just been halved.

Comments about Melbourne's shunning by Channel 9 might sound a bit more sincere if they mentioned Canberra, the Cows and the Warriors as well. Melbourne is treated as it exists in a commercial RL World - a secondary market, just like Canberra, Nth Qld, and Auckland. How often do the Raiders get on free-to-air TV? Once a year? These clubs only get Channel 9 coverage when they play the Broncos.

I've watched every Storm game this year on Fox. (Actually I've watched every NRL game this year on Fox.) To say they belittle the Storm is ridiculous. As for the Monday night scheduling, the Storm played 6 Monday games this year. Three were away games and one of the home games was the ANZAC Day game, which I presume the Storm wanted. So, aside from that, only 2 of their home games were on Monday, same as Wests Tigers and Parra, who are usually two of the better-rating Sydney teams.

Just a further point on Monday games. The Monday game was used by Fox as a device to thwart Channel 9's access to the top-rating games. Teams that played Monday couldn't be selected for the following Round's Thursday or Friday games. If Fox could get the Broncos on a Monday night, that would have prevented Channel 9 from using them for the following Thursday and Friday games, leaving them available for Fox to schedule on the following Saturday. (or Sunday or Monday) They didn't manage it in 2016.

Here's Storm CEO Mark Evans in 2014:

“We believe partnering with two teams in the Intrust Super Cup competition allows us to streamline some of our operations as well as providing support to a traditional rugby league area.”

“We would like to thank the Cronulla Sharks and NSWRL for their support of our players over the last four seasons.

“Our relationship with Cronulla has been a very successful one and we wish them all the best.”

Doesn't mention the bit about Melbourne/Victorian teams being barred from NSW Cup. Also, since the NZ Warriors compete in the NSW Cup, it doesn't seem to be a set policy. Perhaps you could give me a link to some statement by the NSWRL or the Storm about them being barred from the NSW Cup.

Who do you think brought Brisbane, Townsville, Perth, Gold Coast and Auckland into the comp? It was the NSWRL. At the time the NSWRL bosses voted to include Auckland, Townsville, Perth and the Crushers, Canberra and Brisbane had already won GFs so they knew they were creating potential for non-Sydney teams to succeed - conversely, potential for Sydney teams to fail.

If the administration of the NRL is so blind to the potential benefits of the Gold Coast, why did they bail them out? Why are they currently underwriting their losses? If they hated these non-Sydney teams so badly, why not just let them fold?

As for the non-coverage of the PNG game, it never has been covered and I don't know why. Maybe Digicel PNG couldn't reach a deal with the OZ TV networks.

As far as Channel 9 goes, I watch the NRL on Fox Sports and I can't imagine anyone with Foxtel still watching Channel 9.

Sharkies!

PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/article/8790/join-team-wales-for-2013

Predictions for the future -

Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG

Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT

Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG

Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/

http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!

http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

Channel 9 pays about 70% of the total NRL TV deals. The only way they can make money on that investment is to maximise ratings on the products available. Clearly that means pandering to the Sydney and Brisbane RL markets - the biggest urban RL markets in the World. To interpret that as some kind of vendetta against your own non-Sydney/non-Broncos team is to ignore the commercial reality of NRL.

We could easily have a situation where the teams are rotated through the various time slots so that each team gets the same number of Friday games, Sunday games, etc. The first step: Players take a 50% pay cut because the value of the TV rights has just been halved.

Comments about Melbourne's shunning by Channel 9 might sound a bit more sincere if they mentioned Canberra, the Cows and the Warriors as well. Melbourne is treated as it exists in a commercial RL World - a secondary market, just like Canberra, Nth Qld, and Auckland. How often do the Raiders get on free-to-air TV? Once a year? These clubs only get Channel 9 coverage when they play the Broncos.

I've watched every Storm game this year on Fox. (Actually I've watched every NRL game this year on Fox.) To say they belittle the Storm is ridiculous. As for the Monday night scheduling, the Storm played 6 Monday games this year. Three were away games and one of the home games was the ANZAC Day game, which I presume the Storm wanted. So, aside from that, only 2 of their home games were on Monday, same as Wests Tigers and Parra, who are usually two of the better-rating Sydney teams.

Just a further point on Monday games. The Monday game was used by Fox as a device to thwart Channel 9's access to the top-rating games. Teams that played Monday couldn't be selected for the following Round's Thursday or Friday games. If Fox could get the Broncos on a Monday night, that would have prevented Channel 9 from using them for the following Thursday and Friday games, leaving them available for Fox to schedule on the following Saturday. (or Sunday or Monday) They didn't manage it in 2016.

Here's Storm CEO Mark Evans in 2014:

“We believe partnering with two teams in the Intrust Super Cup competition allows us to streamline some of our operations as well as providing support to a traditional rugby league area.”

“We would like to thank the Cronulla Sharks and NSWRL for their support of our players over the last four seasons.

“Our relationship with Cronulla has been a very successful one and we wish them all the best.”

Doesn't mention the bit about Melbourne/Victorian teams being barred from NSW Cup. Also, since the NZ Warriors compete in the NSW Cup, it doesn't seem to be a set policy. Perhaps you could give me a link to some statement by the NSWRL or the Storm about them being barred from the NSW Cup.

Who do you think brought Brisbane, Townsville, Perth, Gold Coast and Auckland into the comp? It was the NSWRL. At the time the NSWRL bosses voted to include Auckland, Townsville, Perth and the Crushers, Canberra and Brisbane had already won GFs so they knew they were creating potential for non-Sydney teams to succeed - conversely, potential for Sydney teams to fail.

If the administration of the NRL is so blind to the potential benefits of the Gold Coast, why did they bail them out? Why are they currently underwriting their losses? If they hated these non-Sydney teams so badly, why not just let them fold?

As for the non-coverage of the PNG game, it never has been covered and I don't know why. Maybe Digicel PNG couldn't reach a deal with the OZ TV networks.

As far as Channel 9 goes, I watch the NRL on Fox Sports and I can't imagine anyone with Foxtel still watching Channel 9.

http://rugbyleagueweek.com.au/storm-filthy-nswrl/  

Archived