Wayne Bennett pi**es off SL clubs

According to the Guardian.

My opinion: why should the England coach pander to the SL clubs at every turn? After Koukash's recent outburst the impression I'm getting is that the clubs are continual holding the RFL and the sport to ransom.

The clubs have too much power in this sport and their wings need to be clipped.

My opinion: why should the England coach pander to the SL clubs at every turn? After Koukash's recent outburst the impression I'm getting is that the clubs are continual holding the RFL and the sport to ransom.

I'm with Wayne on this.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/jun/25/wayne-bennett-england-world-cup-planning

This is the trouble I find with posts connecting things that don't go together MK has little or nothing to do with this issue personally and bringing him up serves no purpose.

The SL v Internationals has always been avoided in our sport generally and dealt with in other sports in very interesting and sometimes very forward looking ways. Wayne Bennet is also bringing a level of professional expectation that has not been seen before, won't please some clubs, and is absolutely necessary.

Whether or not clubs need their wings clipped is another debate which I'm sure Parky has brought up pretty consistently for debate, in some form or other.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Testing has been going on for a few years now, so I can't see why that would cause an issue. More an incentive.

Article refers to a video link with the SL clubs. Maybe that, and not meeting them in person won't win him any friends. Radfords comments, despite being a proven supporter of freeing players for internationals, in the local rag indicate WB ruffling feathers, specifically regarding Scott Taylor:

With Bennett coaching domestically in the NRL, Radford said: "I'm done with the England thing. From what I'm led to believe, everyone whose played in the NRL has been guaranteed a spot.

"I think we'll get Scott a month's loan to an NRL club to get him that selection!"

So, being invited to meet WB, doesn't appear to mean ST is 'in'.

Testing has been going on for a few years now, so I can't see why that would cause an issue. More an incentive.

Article refers to a video link with the SL clubs. Maybe that, and not meeting them in person won't win him any friends. Radfords comments, despite being a proven supporter of freeing players for internationals, in the local rag indicate WB ruffling feathers, specifically regarding Scott Taylor:

With Bennett coaching domestically in the NRL, Radford said: "I'm done with the England thing. From what I'm led to believe, everyone whose played in the NRL has been guaranteed a spot.

"I think we'll get Scott a month's loan to an NRL club to get him that selection!"

So, being invited to meet WB, doesn't appear to mean ST is 'in'.

Can anything ever be straight forward in RL?  If Scott Taylor has not been chosen what idiots has Wayne got for his assisstants here in England?

Everyone, the world and his wife are always pointing out the obvious that NRL is superior to SL, so why create when picking them would seem to be so sensible. There are players in SL who are more than good enough to play for England and I don't believe for one minute that will be one of the serious and logical criteria to eventual selection.

But a lot of this is still rumour and conjecture yet again! Yet another case of 2+2 = 4,567,478.

Maybe there is another article or supporting commentary but honestly it seems like a nothing article.

There are no actual quotes from anyone making it sound like anything actually said by the clubs was a throw away line.

The perception that anyone playing NRL will straight away get an England jersey is wrong. Bennett has been critical of people like Eden among others before so won't pick them for the sake of it. He also wants to win so will pick whoever he feels is best.

Bennett also wouldn't have met with 31 players from SL if he wasn't even considering them. He isn't one to do niceties, as shown by the fact he only met with who he needed to in his visit.

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

Maybe there is another article or supporting commentary but honestly it seems like a nothing article.

There are no actual quotes from anyone making it sound like anything actually said by the clubs was a throw away line.

The perception that anyone playing NRL will straight away get an England jersey is wrong. Bennett has been critical of people like Eden among others before so won't pick them for the sake of it. He also wants to win so will pick whoever he feels is best.

Bennett also wouldn't have met with 31 players from SL if he wasn't even considering them. He isn't one to do niceties, as shown by the fact he only met with who he needed to in his visit.

What I included was Radfords quote. I would find it strange that he would say something like that without substance.

What I included was Radfords quote. I would find it strange that he would say something like that without substance.

Or he could just be regretting letting his two players travelling to Oz and this seems like a way to alter their policy, or maybe he's just a bit angry about Scott Taylor which is right. Substance is what you choose it to be.

Or he could just be regretting letting his two players travelling to Oz and this seems like a way to alter their policy, or maybe he's just a bit angry about Scott Taylor which is right. Substance is what you choose it to be.

Too cryptic.

The most telling bit of info isn't all the above but from the Mirrors JP article there is a short sentence about a number of players above and beyond Hodkinson being tapped up to play for England

If that's true then WB can staff and entire team from NRL players

The conditioner angle appears to show what WB thinks of UK fitness levels more than anything and going into a world cup you would expect that aspect to ramp up in a pro environment as well as a proper check on any niggles and injuries

As for the rest, you have a part time coach and full time performance team and that's what you would expect - a plan to get the best ready to win with the coach elsewhere

The RFL will have been aware of all this or they would not have hired him - club v country isn't new in RL after all

Radders opinions are based on his own and his teams self interest which is a shame

We should have expected WB to look for the best players he can get under the rules - I expected it - I would too

I think there will be a few more road hums along the way before the 4N's let alone the world cup - the irony is that all WB wants to do is win and give himself and England the best chance of doing so within the rules of the international game

Wayne Bennett is not here to pander to the SL clubs. He is here to do a job for the RFL and to win England the World Cup.

When he found out that English-based players are playing 30 regular SL rounds plus cup competitions he probably thought I need to get them out of this hamster wheel environment for spells during the season.

Also, it is not his fault that the England squad is split across 2 hemispheres. He is looking at plans to bridge that and get the whole squad together for spells leading to the World Cup. Just let him do his job.

Too cryptic.

Which bit?

Wayne Bennett is not here to pander to the SL clubs. He is here to do a job for the RFL and to win England the World Cup.

No he isn't but I think it may be a journo in search of a story!

The "demands" don't seem that ridiculous really do they? I don't understand what it is SL clubs think they'll lose through this, only helps their best players develop.

No they're not and there may be more for clubs to not be very upset about,

How do you come to that conclusion? What policy? Hull supported two players playing for their country, could have, but didn't affect anything.

Substance sufficient for Radford to make such a quote. Have you been drinking?

How do you come to that conclusion? What policy? Hull supported two players playing for their country, could have, but didn't affect anything.

Substance sufficient for Radford to make such a quote. Have you been drinking?

I think if you read the comment I responded to it might have helped. ;)

Yes some red wine do you think it matters? 

Really too serious for words, but the reaction to this all seems a bit odd and out of all proportion when you think what winning the World Cup might do for TGG!

Not like Wayne at all! ;-)

My opinion is this; how badly do we as a game in the UK want to beat the Aussies and the Kiwis in a Series and win the World Cup? Given Wayne's pedigree, track record and achievements if said jump, everyone in the game should be asking him how high Sir?

The self interest is depressing.

A perfect example of what results can be achieved by putting our International Game's good above any individual club's, is the England RU who since Clive Woodward's involvement have yielded a fairly impressive return against the SNAZAR countries....

.....look beyond your own backyard I would say to the SL Clubs who are moaning.

Archived