1. 1. Who will win?

• Wigan
    • Warrington
    • Draw

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While the supporting cast has been doing a good job of giving vent to their anti-Wigan bile - Wigan walk tick, Sam absolutely dire player tick, Fielden cr.p tick, Joel a violent yob tick (let it all out) - the king of the stirrers is conspicuous by his absence. This coincides with Giwildgo's own absence, we all hope savouring every moment with a new baby pie. That prompts the inevitible thought - could GW amd Wendall be the same person and could Wendall be an imaginary figure of bitterness and stupidity created by him to make us all feel better about ourselves? If so, that is an act of genius.

:O:lol: If only I was that clever or had that much time on my hands!!!

PS. false alarm on Friday, so I'm still waiting - continued absence was due to my dismay at the bickering and hyperbole that generally follows a Wigan defeat. Warrington deserved their result on the day - poor tactics and execution from Wigan ultimately cost us.

Warriors_Logo_Band_396.jpg

oderint dum metuant

:O:lol: If only I was that clever or had that much time on my hands!!!

PS. false alarm on Friday, so I'm still waiting - continued absence was due to my dismay at the bickering and hyperbole that generally follows a Wigan defeat. Warrington deserved their result on the day - poor tactics and execution from Wigan ultimately cost us.

I always enjoy your input. A sensible Wigan fan from Warrington ;)

I always enjoy your input. A sensible Wigan fan from Warrington ;)

I told you...I ain't Wendall :P

I'm afraid Warrington by birth alone - naturalised as a Wiganer via 26 years residency (I'm more Yorky :O than Wire having lived 3 years in Sheffield).

oderint dum metuant

I told you...I ain't Wendall :P

I'm afraid Warrington by birth alone - naturalised as a Wiganer via 26 years residency (I'm more Yorky :O than Wire having lived 3 years in Sheffield).

Pie's and Pudding's :lol:

Hope all goes well when the newbie decides to come into the world.

I've waded through eight pages and am still not sure what all the disagreement is about.

Wigan and Warrington occupy the top two places, Friday's game attracted the highest attendance of the season and the match itself, though not perhaps reaching the quality of the first meeting earlier in the season, was intense and exciting enough to live in the memory for some time and would certainly have impressed any casual viewers catching the game on Sky or on 3D.

Am I missing several points?

And yes, a Warrington fan should be used to that after all these years...

Changing the by now over argued tempo slightly and going with the question that is supposedly a binding one for all English R/L fans; the four Nations comp at the end of the season.

Did anyone take notice when Hemmings put a pointed question to Micheal Maguire and asked him if the excellent match ( which it was) just seen was as intense as those he had been involved in as assisstant coach at Melbourne, played in the NRL.

McGuire simply replied " yeah it was a great match but : there were a LOT of stoppages"!

Personally I thought that ref Siverwood was the most prominent person on the field and, once again the over bearingness of the officials detracted from a game that was enthralling but could with less pedanticism have been much better.

Watching the NRL is an eye opener and the manner in which the officials ( generally) allow their games to continue is definitely a method that ours should be coming to terms with. Our game is slower for this reason and this reason only and until that aspect gets rectified our rep sides just will not compete for the full 80 minutes with those from down-under.

Changing the by now over argued tempo slightly and going with the question that is supposedly a binding one for all English R/L fans; the four Nations comp at the end of the season.

Did anyone take notice when Hemmings put a pointed question to Micheal Maguire and asked him if the excellent match ( which it was) just seen was as intense as those he had been involved in as assisstant coach at Melbourne, played in the NRL.

McGuire simply replied " yeah it was a great match but : there were a LOT of stoppages"!

Personally I thought that ref Siverwood was the most prominent person on the field and, once again the over bearingness of the officials detracted from a game that was enthralling but could with less pedanticism have been much better.

Watching the NRL is an eye opener and the manner in which the officials ( generally) allow their games to continue is definitely a method that ours should be coming to terms with. Our game is slower for this reason and this reason only and until that aspect gets rectified our rep sides just will not compete for the full 80 minutes with those from down-under.

With all the best will in the world, I don't think the referee could prevent unforced errors from both teams which were the majority of the stoppages.

I personally thought it was an average game, Wigan were under par and Warrington in the main (aside from Wood and Briers who were excellent) only marginally better so deserving of the win. Both can and will play a lot better this season.

oderint dum metuant

With all the best will in the world, I don't think the referee could prevent unforced errors from both teams which were the majority of the stoppages.

I personally thought it was an average game, Wigan were under par and Warrington in the main (aside from Wood and Briers who were excellent) only marginally better so deserving of the win. Both can and will play a lot better this season.

Couldn't agree more. I didn't see the ref as a big issue, I saw the forward's ball control as the big issue and the main factor that made the game stop-start.

When the players kept hold of it they did some good stuff, but the retention was appalling from both sides at different stages of the game.

I've waded through eight pages and am still not sure what all the disagreement is about.

Tomkins being dirty.

Morley being dirty.

Empty seats in the Wire end.

Empty seats in the Wigan stands.

Town populations (Wire can't even finish in the top 4 of that!).

Late challenges on passers.

Late challengers on kickers.

Warrington born fan supporting Wigan.

Pies.

Think that covers it.

I just do not agree with yours or DaveTs assessment in this matter. I am sure you both watch the NRL and possibly as avidly as myself, surely you must ( if that applies) recognise the absolute difference in the games continuity, there and here?

I agree with you both on the aspect of unforced errors in the match in question and which occur in the NRL to although mainly, not as consistently.

But the overriding emphasis of stop start games in S/L has in the main to be layed at the feet of overbearing refereeing.

Since the advent of full-time refs here (and in OZ) there has occurred two very distinct differences. In Oz the refs have become (mainly) less prominent and the game has advanced in its spectacle, whilst here it could be stated that the complete opposite is now the dominant factor from our officials.

It seems to be an English/British syndrome and one that seemingly our National psyche always produces when anyone is given a procedure to put into effect, sad but unavoidably so.

I just do not agree with yours or DaveTs assessment in this matter. I am sure you both watch the NRL and possibly as avidly as myself, surely you must ( if that applies) recognise the absolute difference in the games continuity, there and here?

I agree with you both on the aspect of unforced errors in the match in question and which occur in the NRL to although mainly, not as consistently.

But the overriding emphasis of stop start games in S/L has in the main to be layed at the feet of overbearing refereeing.

Since the advent of full-time refs here (and in OZ) there has occurred two very distinct differences. In Oz the refs have become (mainly) less prominent and the game has advanced in its spectacle, whilst here it could be stated that the complete opposite is now the dominant factor from our officials.

It seems to be an English/British syndrome and one that seemingly our National psyche always produces when anyone is given a procedure to put into effect, sad but unavoidably so.

It would be interesting to know if there are any stats out there comparing stoppages, between the NRL and SL.

Even something as basic as differences in penaltyt counts in the two leagues would be interesting, does anybody have anything.

I don't disagree with your overall point, my comments were purely aimed at Friday's game, which was abit of a freak one tbh in terms of turnovers, and there was also a relatively high penalty count (from memory).

One interesting (or not) point on this is that all NRL games have the VR, and this generally slows games down a fair bit, the Sky games generally last a good 5-10m longer than a non-tv game, so in terms of intensity and pace of the game, I wonder how long the average NRl game goes on for.

It would be interesting to know if there are any stats out there comparing stoppages, between the NRL and SL.

Even something as basic as differences in penaltyt counts in the two leagues would be interesting, does anybody have anything.

I don't disagree with your overall point, my comments were purely aimed at Friday's game, which was abit of a freak one tbh in terms of turnovers, and there was also a relatively high penalty count (from memory).

One interesting (or not) point on this is that all NRL games have the VR, and this generally slows games down a fair bit, the Sky games generally last a good 5-10m longer than a non-tv game, so in terms of intensity and pace of the game, I wonder how long the average NRl game goes on for.

I realise that you and Gwildigo were both more centred upon the game on Friday and as I said , I do also concede that, that game, especially from a Warrington point of view in the first twenty minutes was abject.

I did comment to my wife at that time that schoolboys held the ball better!

On your point concerning the VR in Oz, I contend that in the main they tend to get to the point quicker than ours and especially so when Bentham is adjudicating!

However I cannot believe that you can question either the intensity or pace of the game when placing the NRL and S/L in contension, apart that is from possibly one, two maybe a few more S/L matches over an entire season. Those items are simply and generally incomparable.

I realise that you and Gwildigo were both more centred upon the game on Friday and as I said , I do also concede that, that game, especially from a Warrington point of view in the first twenty minutes was abject.

I did comment to my wife at that time that schoolboys held the ball better!

On your point concerning the VR in Oz, I contend that in the main they tend to get to the point quicker than ours and especially so when Bentham is adjudicating!

However I cannot believe that you can question either the intensity or pace of the game when placing the NRL and S/L in contension, apart that is from possibly one, two maybe a few more S/L matches over an entire season. Those items are simply and generally incomparable.

I haven't done that. I was talking about the length of the game, asking a question.