Stadium developments

andyram

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Terracing is being delivered and fixed on 11th & 12th June and the fitting of the crush barriers will start on the following day.

Then there will be the barriers and the access steps to paint and the fencing to re-arrange to accomodate the emergency exits.

Kirklees Building Control will then want to inspect everything and test the barriers. Assuming that we can get them to do this before the 20th June then we may be able to use the terracing on the 23rd, but with all the problems that we have had so far, I am not holding my breath! I can now realise why the M62 Road Widening has taken so long to complete and has cost so much!

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately the Terracing will not be in use for the Halifax game as the crush barriers will not be installed

due to a revised location and fixing specification requested last week.

Also, as we have to comply with the new build regulations, we have to install a new pitch perimeter fence in front

of the new terrace before the public can use it. This is the first time this has been mentioned. So this is a further

expense which was not budgeted for in this project but was in the long-term Stadium Development Plan.

Onwards and upwards

Can anyone lend us £5,500 + VAT for 9 months? Or better still £22,000 + VAT and we can do the whole of the perimeter fence

before the regulations change again!

So much red tape and regulations to go though,must be driving everyone crazy,just want to say thanks to all the people involved in this part of the project for all the hard work in getting this far.Sure it will be worth it when its all completed.

Can anyone lend us £5,500 + VAT for 9 months? Or better still £22,000 + VAT and we can do the whole of the perimeter fence

before the regulations change again!

Is £5500 + vat the cost for the perimeter fence for one end of the pitch? Around 50 metres of fence?

Must also pass on my thanks for the volunteers doing the terracing, I've always enjoyed watching the game from behind the sticks and have missed it this season. Was hoping to bring my 9 month old son to his first Dewsbury game on Sunday but might wait til the grand opening!

Keep up the good work - it will really improve the ground!!

rambo.gif

Daniel - it is for 90+ meters of metal fencing which runs 14 meters up each side of the pitch to match the pathway.

The specification for pitch perimeter fencing has changed since the existing wooden fence was installed 20 years ago.

The Capacity was originally estimated (By Kirklees Building Control) at 1500+. However, as I have previously stated, it does

not add to the Ground capacity as it is not covered. The argument being that the spectators would migrate to the covered

stands in bad weather. The proposed terrace at the Western End of the ground will have a roof and will add to the capacity.

It has never been the intention to cover the Eastern Terrace as, because of the prevailing wind direction, any rain would

probably blow to the back of the 14 steps underneath the roof and would thus be a waste of approx. £100,000 (the Estimated Roof

cost for the same size of terrace at the Western End).

Must also pass on my thanks for the volunteers doing the terracing, I've always enjoyed watching the game from behind the sticks and have missed it this season. Was hoping to bring my 9 month old son to his first Dewsbury game on Sunday but might wait til the grand opening!

Keep up the good work - it will really improve the ground!!

Dont forget those that turn up week after week just to keep the existing ground up to spec.

• 3 weeks later...

Any updates WR ?

Homer: How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

[

i]Mr. Burns: Woah, slow down there maestro. There's a *New* Mexico?[/i]

Sorry have to inform you but it will not look as if any further progress has been made since the last Home Game.

We are having severe problems with Barrier Fixing technology, the design of the handrails for the walkway at the rear

and the side rail load bearing capacity to stop people from walking from the Terrace on to the Grass Banking. In addition,

we have having a problem with the specification and soucing for the pitch side fencing - again to do with the pressure

loading ratings. I think we may have a solution to the major items (to be confirmed at a site meeting this week)and we will

hopefully order the materials after this.

The good news is that the new turnstile doors on the North Stand Side Block should all be finished this week - bet no-one has

even noticed the new South Stand Ones!

If I had more hair left, I would be tearing it out! I never realised at the start of the project that it would be like studying

for a Construction Engineering Degree when approaching retirement age!

Kirklees Council seem to be almost insanely strict when it comes to Health and Safety. As Fred mentions, there isn't a crush barrier in sight at P.O.R., and other grounds still have wooden stands with asbestos roofs! I realise that Health and Safety is a pressing concern in the modern world, however the Kirklees department appears to be populated by jobsworths.

r02c.gif

I would think like most rules they aren't retrospective. So PO was built to the rules they had at the time. This new terrace is built to the regs in force now. Kirklees or any other council for that matter enforce the rules, they don't make them. I wouldnt want to see it rushed and have a serious incident which could see the ground closed.

Homer: How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

[

Thanks for the insight, Ramite. I wasn't aware of the retrospective concept. Still seems a little crazy, though. Its ok for fans stood on ancient terracing to be placed st risk, simply because it was constructed in an era when current regulations didn't apply?

r02c.gif

Sorry to disagree but am fairly certain that the rules aren't retrospective. The terracing should be of a certain standard today or it should be condemned. If a major incident with casualties occurred then I don't think it would be any defence to say "well it was ok when it was built".

Does that mean all the Dewsbury fans will have to have inside toilets installed in their rundown hovels??

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

Thanks for the insight, Ramite. I wasn't aware of the retrospective concept. Still seems a little crazy, though. Its ok for fans stood on ancient terracing to be placed st risk, simply because it was constructed in an era when current regulations didn't apply?

If they did apply then clubs would be forced to upgrade the ground at massive cost every time the rules changed. Im guessing it's similar to energy efficiently in new homes, they have to meet certain levels but you couldn't apply it to 200 year old houses.

[

Archived