There was a game at CP yesterday!

Bearman

Once again the forum is strangely quiet.

So I'll start us off

We won, scored 44 points. There were some good individual performances. Local boy Adam Nicholson had a stormer in the forwards and Chris Hankinson in the backs. Brad Marwood scored a try from the bench.

Fair play to Hemel too, they played a part and scored a couple of nicely worked tries.

A good day at the office really.

Keith Nutter pointed out to me that he didn't think there had been one penalty for a dodgy tackle all game. He couldn't ever remember that happening before at any level and neither can I.

The Referee Mr Ansell had a really good game, I think I only heard one cry of "Get 'em onside" all match and very few shouts of " get 'em off" either.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

Good team performance on the whole, especially the 2nd half, with some good individual performances tonight .. id agree with Adam Nicholson and also big Joe were stand outs for me and I thought Cammy had a very good game as well in the backs ....shame he couldn't get that 100th try but next week against Rons Bears ;-). Big shout for Brad Marwood as well thought his distribution from acting half was excellent and quick.

Hemel were a pretty good outfit, in my opinion probably the best of the new teams ive seen so far. Thought the full back had a great game (wonder if he is looking to move oop north lol ?

when we throw the ball about we look very sharp....we just don't seem to do it enough?

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

I'm sure the fullback is on loan from Oldham so if any one knows any info on him now's the time,very elusive runner and speed which we are very much lacking in the three quarter line

Thought the number 13 had a strong game as well.

On barrow some good performances from the centre and Campbell plus bullock,but the team mostly looked like they were just going through the motions, they need to up the rate quite a lot more ,if there not to be on the end of three good spankings away from home every point now is essential just to make it to 5th in the table

You're right the interest at present is underwhelming.  I didn't think Hemel were good enough to score that many points, our defence seems to have dropped off lately and earlier in the season, especially pre-season, we were far better defending our line and based on that I hoped we would have restricted them to no more than a consolation score. 

I agree young Marwood made a significant impact and I thought our best period was during his spell in the second half, we were far quicker and his youthful enthusiasm made a difference, when Mossop returned at the time when Hemel were obviously becoming tired, (to be honest they weren't the fittest looking side seen this year) I thought we didn't take full advantage and I wonder at times whether Mossop is fully committed, he looks like he is just going through the motions and for a player with a fair few years under his belt  his distribution can be slow and poor.

As we say, a win is a win and we can only hope next week the boys put on some exhibition rugby, we have seen glimpses, and put Coventry to the sword.  (Sorry Ron)

I agree with all the comments above, but there are always positives, to me each game this season has had different, MOM, winners, yesterdays was adam Nicholson's, his performance was brilliant, the best try came from his burst down the left, good backing up, and a perfect offload. I think the raiders problems have been injuries/suspension of key players for crucial games, for example we played a game recently with 5 centres in the squad. It would be interesting to see what the best raiders team would be from the full squad.

well lets liven it up again tell whoever you know to get there asses on here

Lee Morton

It went through a phase when it was just clowns on here Mr Rooster and a few I think just thought there replies were just getting ridiculed so don't bother anymore,as a RL man of your knowledge I always enjoy reading your posts unfortunately I don't get to many games now so I can't really comment on what's going on down at Craven Park

The full back is very very good going forwards, but I've seen him a few times and believe me he can't catch.

Last week against Coventry he dropped the ball 2 or 3 times without being under pressure at the time.

I was really surprised that we didn't target him with the bomb.

He could be a useful asset but his catching would need a lot of work.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

It went through a phase when it was just clowns on here Mr Rooster and a few I think just thought there replies were just getting ridiculed so don't bother anymore,as a RL man of your knowledge I always enjoy reading your posts unfortunately I don't get to many games now so I can't really comment on what's going on down at Craven Park

Sometimes you just have to wonder if it was worth the effort. ;)

im the same as the Vet rooster, as i play puff ball (as my father puts it) on a saturday i dont really get to many games, but keep a close eye on here and talk to my mates who still play! i'll be down CP alot more next year when i retire from sport ha

I think they said about 822 at the ground - it was 82 something although the BBC web site says 945. Not a bad crowd considering Hemel are not the biggest draw in Rugby League and didn't seem to bring many away fans.

Thank goodness we have a good hard core of fans especially as it was "Vickers fortnight" so a few people will be on holiday. This loyal fanbase gives me some hope for the future but the club and the players need to put in the hard work to keep them.

Hemel played some good rugby and have been a good amateur team for many years now so even though the going is a bit tough at the moment I would love to see rugby establish itself in Hemel Hempsted.

Not sure how other clubs are surviving - Rochdale had a good win but a crowd of 300....

Shipbuilider01.png

Thanks gents and like you say not a bad gate especially with it being hol time , I'm not sure how you survive on 300 either but good luck to them and hope they keep going

im the same as the Vet rooster, as i play puff ball (as my father puts it) on a saturday i dont really get to many games, but keep a close eye on here and talk to my mates who still play! i'll be down CP alot more next year when i retire from sport ha

You cant be retiring Beachy, a young pup like you!

I posted this on the Duerdon thread a few days ago.

Posted 28 July 2015 - 12:20 PM

This message board is going from bad to worse. I know of one regular contributor who has been on it for years, who has deregistered because he has had enough of the rubbish that is being spouted,including snide remarks from a certain board member, and bitebacks from other club sources. ( you all know who I mean )

Come on folks, lets get back to sanity and use this facility as it should be used.

First time on here. I go to home matches and it is a poor tenners worth. OK a win last time out but some folk think these players are world beaters. The coach only knows one game......down the middle one man rugby. Not good enuf

Well Odin ,first quote on here,say as you see it and your not far wrong at all.

Paying a tenner you must be a pensioner,and seen some great teams down at craven park.

Getting back to your quote you will upset some people on here with the one man rugby and that Mr Crarey team don't know what there doing .

Looking at the league table we are 7th at present could go down to 8th with the away matches due ,this to me is even worse than last year where we finished bottom in the league above with Oldham and york from the league below above us in our present league.

Apart from Joe bullock I've seen nothing down craven park to get me shouting loud encouragement,from the out of town players.in 40 years myself following barrow rl this team I seen perform two good games all season no where near good enough

wow harsh words there Odin and JCD... I think that's a little unfair to be honest.

Given we are cash strapped I think we are doing ok. Its not the best team we have ever had but look what happened the last time we bought a great squad ... it put us on our uppers and its why we are in the mess the BOD are trying to get us out from.

Lee Morton

Archived